I know I've posted about this before, so forgive the repetition, but ya'll are the only people who can relate to how hard this is.
My underarm lump was diagnosed (as per ultrasound) as a 2.0 x 1.8 x 0.6 cm complicated ovid subcutaneous nodule, with the radiologist suggesting it was a "possible sebaceous cyst". Because of either the location (underarm, where there is potentially some breast tissue) or the fact that it was done at a breast imagine center, the lump was given a BIRAD rating (a rating that classifies findings in terms of the likelihood of cancer). BIRAD 1 is no finding, 2 is benign finding and 3 is probably benign. The formal guidelines state that BIRAD 3 findings have a less than 2% chance of cancer, but it seems as though the actual rate is a bit lower than that. I also read that while simple cysts can be given a 2, all complicated cysts have to be a 3. The recommendation for a 3 is short-term follow up of 6 months. The letter I got from the radiologist said 3 months, but he communicated to my doctor as 3 - 6 months for follow up.
The radiologist said he's confident that it's a cyst, but of course I'm worried that it's a cancerous tumor or lymph node!! I'm trying to keep reminding myself that 1) it's movable (in most directions -- it does seem attached in one area); 2) that it's not rock hard -- it feels sort of like a grape (doctor said it was softer than that), and 3) that it's very close to the surface (subcutaneous, right below the skin). Do breast cancer tumors grow right under the skin?
My 3-month time falls right when I have family coming into town for Thanksgiving and I'd really rather wait until after the holiday to have it re-checked, which would put it about 2 weeks after the 3-month time frame.
I hope I'm not making a mistake -- both by waiting a few weeks after the 3 month mark (can't imagine that that will really matter), and by not having done something more aggressive before now. Both the radiologist and my internist said it was fine to just follow-up and that the other option was surgery -- neither doctor felt surgery was necessary and neither wanted to re-do the u/s earlier than the 3-months.
I guess the bottom line is that I'm worried that, by listening to the doctors, I have allowed something bad to continue to grow for several months. Maybe I should have insisted on having it removed, despite what they recommended. I know this is classic HA thinking, but I'm feeling a little stuck there and hoping someone can help me get out.