Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Does anybody here enjoy Science Fiction like myself?  (Read 352 times)

Offline Rodan123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does anybody here enjoy Science Fiction like myself?
« on: October 14, 2013, 11:28:27 PM »
I was just wondering if there was anyone here who is into Science Fiction like I am.  I ask partly because I'm trying to think of a good Sci-fi story to write, and I would like some ideas, possible themes, etc.  So, if anyone has anything to contribute, please, feel free to.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cilantro

• Mood: Hungry
    Hungry
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does anybody here enjoy Science Fiction like myself?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 01:15:12 AM »
I like sci-fi (if you see my quote!), but I don't have many ideas floating around. I find that just writing a little bit helps to get the creative juices flowing, though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 06:18:10 AM »
I can't think of a specific theme but what I will say is that the best SF to me is that work which takes a look at what technological changes have occurred and then explores the unintended social consequences of them. This is so much more interesting than establishing an analogue of our society and then giving them so 'cool gadgets'.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fearismyenemy

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:14:15 AM »
I enjoy sci-fi. I think if you want to write a sci-fi story, you should come up with the ideas and themes yourself. You won't feel good about what you have written if someone else gave you the ideas. That's my opinion, anyway.

Also, if I did have some ideas, I'd keep them to myself so I could write it.  ;D
Bookmark and Share
It's alright to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Offline Michael-Eden

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:16:57 AM »
I love scifi. As far as themes go there's always the big ones ( social issues , technological advance, space travel )
I think in the end you just need to decide for your self. Though the whole ace travel / colonization theme seems to have a lot to work with.
Bookmark and Share
"what matters most is
how well you
walk in the
fire."
Charles Bukowski

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 08:53:25 AM »
I'm a sci fi and fantasy nut who has written several novels and many short stories.  If you are looking for ideas (and later on free advice on improving/editing your work) I recommend you join a site called Critique Circle.  It's free and you can read and help review and edit other folks' work.  Each review you write earns you "credits" and you can the "spend" those credits to have your own work reviewed.  I love this site and it really helped me with my work...as well as getting me a lot of fun free reads.  The best part: they have dedicated forums specifically for sci fi and fantasy!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cilantro

• Mood: Hungry
    Hungry
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 10:40:59 PM »
I'm a sci fi and fantasy nut who has written several novels and many short stories.  If you are looking for ideas (and later on free advice on improving/editing your work) I recommend you join a site called Critique Circle.  It's free and you can read and help review and edit other folks' work.  Each review you write earns you "credits" and you can the "spend" those credits to have your own work reviewed.  I love this site and it really helped me with my work...as well as getting me a lot of fun free reads.  The best part: they have dedicated forums specifically for sci fi and fantasy!

Several novels?! That's some motivation you've got.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: