hi again folks
so, we've been living in our house for 14 years. we have a huge fireplace, real, wood-burning, brick. i LOVE it.
so, we had the chimney sweep come out(it was past time, by several years). He's been here before, maybe 5 years ago, maybe more. anyway, i wasn't here when he came. so, i asked my hubby if everything was ok and he said yes.
anyway, then i get an email from the chimney sweep company with the invoice. and the invoice has these notes on it:
"Noted: unparged smoke chamber,smoke chamber very tall,1 section 17"x13" ﬂue tile.Inner hearth cracked and spalled.cement slab over ﬁre place
ﬂue,no hardware cloth installed.Utility ﬂue vented thru chimney has wythe wall.Metal roof.Recommend no use per NFPA 211 potential
hazard.Recommend stainless steel reline.Ofﬁce to give price upon request.
Poss woodstove insert est $3600-$5600.
Exterior,no attic,no offset,17"x13",8 ft run,bottom seal damper,ﬁrebox size 34"x50",brick surround,living room"
So, i asked my husband why he lied to me. he said he didn't. he said the guy didn't say not to use it. the guy told him that he told him this the last time he was here. So my husband is saying that it is the same as it's always been and we have been using it for all this time without any problems.
however, i am terrified now to use it because it may create carbon monoxide poisoning! i had no idea that fireplaces could do that.
The cost to fix it is too much and we cannot afford it.
so, what should i do? I'm freaking out and my husband is pushing back saying it's fine(it's been fine all this time and nothing has changed).
i want to read about fireplaces and repair and carbon monoxide(and i did look some things up)but i fear it will only FUEL this fear. I know that it can be dangerous,but am i overreacting?
how can i resolve this?
i really want to use the fireplace, it's one of my most favorite things!
any help out there? any chimney sweeps? :)