Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety can cause seizures?!  (Read 340 times)

Offline MorningGlory

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety can cause seizures?!
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »
Tears are forming in my eyes, so I have come to this lovely community for answers and support. I have had an episode of severe health anxiety several months ago. It was horrible- I was constantly pulled down. After getting a clean MRI and seeing multiple doctors, I was finally able to move on and enjoy my life.

So a few months later, I am back in school doing my usual thing and being happy. However, in the past two weeks, I have been having these episodes of bad feelings and fear come out of no where. Once I was dusting a shelf and I suddenly got very dizzy and out of breath, feeling like I was going to pass out. And then the past two days, I have been feelings out of breath. I also caught myself having a dormant breath pattern... like I forgot to breathe. I went to lunch with friends, worried that this may be the start of something like anxiety, or a change in my brain from something abnormal... and how either way it'll be something I'd deal with my whole life. I was listening to my friends conversations with my mind away from the thoughts... when suddenly a HUGE wave of mixed emotion came over me. It was like a dark cloud of depression/anger/nervousness that was present for about 10 seconds. It just seemed so manic-like, and abnormal. I have this deep, certain feeling that something is wrong with my brain.

Getting back to my dorm room- worried, I googled it. I found from several educational articles out that stress can cause seizures! I know that seizures can be fatal and cause brain damage. I am so worried :( I thought all would be good with a clear MRI. Even if this is anxiety- what a horrible DISEASE to have and what a weight to be pulled down on. And now I don't know if I'm having panic attacks or seizures. Either way- stressing about it can cause a seizure.

Its a beautiful day. I feel like I'm going crazy, just want to be like my old self. Please if you would be so kind to share your thoughts, I would be very grateful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety can cause seizures?!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:10:34 PM »
my daughter has a severe seizure disorder.  so i know a lot about seizures.

you are NOT the first anxious person to think anxiety causes seizures. 

I am going to lay it out to you-------  you sound like you are having typical panic/anxiety attacks.  they DO happen as you describe.  It is part of the disorder.  I don't really have the time to explain, in detail, how anxiety affects people. but you can look at my past postings that go in to detail on how I see anxiety and ways to get better.  just click on my username, then 'past posts' link.  not too far down the page I have posts that have links to some of my blatherings.  ONE THING IS TO STOP GOOGLING STUFF.  in your frame of mind you will connect anything to your fears.

NOW on to anxiety and seizures.  Anxiety does NOT, all by itself, cause seizures in people WITHOUT an existing seizure disorder.  Anxiety WILL cause or can cause seizures in a person WITH a seizure disorder.  this happens to my daughter fairly regularly.  difference is she has a seizure disorder.  There are a variety of causes to seizure disorders.  You didn't mention any in your post.

there is a syndrome or condition called PNES --   Psychogenic Non-epileptic Seizures.  these are almost always connected to EXTREME anxiety disorders---usually connected to conversion disorder.  Most often seen in people with very traumatic life events----ie extreme mental/physical/sexual abuse.   these may look like seizures but they are not neurological in nature but psychologically based.  In fact epileptic meds do absolutely NOTHING for peeps with PNES. Why don't epileptic meds help?  because PNES peeps don't have a neuro disease but a psychological DISORDER. Again this is a form of conversion disorder results from extreme anxiety disorder cases.  AND as I mentioned above, you seem to be describing typical panic/anxiety attacks.

can seizures kill people?  occasionally.  my daughter has had seizures since she was 12.  she is now 26/  She had two tonic/clonics ( gran mal) lasting 6 minutes one day this week.  she has complex partials probably 6 or 7 times a month.  none have been even close to fatal.  the big thing with seizures is injuries from falling.

If you want further info, please PM me.  I don't really post on the forum much anymore.  BUT i didn't want to see you melting down further believing your anxiety is going to cause you to have epilepsy. 

what are you doing to address your anxiety disorder?

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 05:08:56 PM »
What you're describing sounds like normal panic attacks to me.  I've been worried about having seizures as well at times because I've seriously just felt like there was a thunderstorm in my brain, but it never happened. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline adellic

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »
I've seriously just felt like there was a thunderstorm in my brain, but it never happened.

I've been looking for a way to describe this feeling and you just hit it on the head  ;D
I get this also with the same worries about seizures. never had one though.

take care
Bookmark and Share