Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Burning sensations  (Read 4249 times)

Offline simonsays84

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Burning sensations
« on: February 28, 2008, 02:35:49 PM »
Hi all-

Well, my mini-saga continues.....

I've been feeling off -still- all week.  Went to my GP Monday expressing all my fears and he checked me out pretty thoroughly, did some blood work, all is okay.  Also started me on Cymbalta.  That didn't work so well, had a funky reaction as some of you probably read, so stopped that, and have been up-down ever since.  This morning I stopped by the GPs again but just to pick up some samples of Lexapro which I started this morning.

Now...my concern:
Throughout all of this, I've had these burning sensations different places:  armpits, pecs, hands, feet, thighs, groin, anus...
but they've always been overshadowed by something else.... pain in my arm/shoulder, concern about what my hands are doing/look like, palpitations, chest pains....etc you guys know.  My GP made me feel pretty good Monday, assured me that nothing I'm describing signifies a degenerative disorder, and especially that symptoms wouldn't present themselves in all four limbs, BUT.... the past few days I've really been aware of the burning.  It kinda feels like there's acid under my skin or something, it's freaky!  it gets stronger and weaker, but today has been bad and I feel it all over.
I KNOW it's probably just another crazy anxiety thing, but I really need some reassurance!  I know I'm supposed to try and convince myself I'm okay, but I can't and I don't want to google, and I don't want to end up weeping at the Urgent Care.  I'm worried because I didn't tell my GP about the burning on Monday because I wasn't so aware of it then.  Could this be something else?  I have no idea what, but I can't stop worrying.  I've also been feeling kinda 'wired' the past few days, like part of me is moving faster than others (especially my head, my brain feels like I've been drinking or having too much coffee or something) and I haven't been sleeping well, even with the temazepam my doc gave me to help with the sleep.  Is this all still my CNS being burnt out?  I feel lost, and so upset because I really thought this week I was going to pull out of this!

Thanks again for the help...
Bookmark and Share

Offline MJF

• Rec's: 19
    • Poke This Member
Re: Burning sensations
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »
The sensations I have are typically strange sensations of tingling, prickling heat, pins and needles,.... I think they are all quite common and just a sign of an over-worked CNS.  Do yours seem to come and go, and in all different places?  Mine do, and every time I think I am over it, I get another round.  But I am starting to understand that it takes quite a bit of time to completely get rid of these panic-induced sensations, especially after reading so many posts from other people here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:01:51 PM »
There is a strong association between anxiety, depression and somatic symptoms.
Somatic symptoms are usually somewhat vague and have a myriad of presentation.
Pain in head, burning sensations, IBS, etc. Many have no organic basis. I would not
be overly concerned.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline simonsays84

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 07:06:20 AM »
Felt better last night, but woke up at 2 am with burning mouth and arms!  agh!
thought about freaking out, but took a temazepam and fell back asleep

woke up this morning slightly better, but now the burning is in the back of my head?!

trying to ignore it, but I don't know what to do!

today's my second day on lexapro BTW

help? advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyWoman

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 09:12:26 AM »
My anxiety was worse the first couple of weeks I started lexapro.  Couldn't sleep, burning muscles, tension, shakes,e tc.  Try your best to hold out.  If you make it through the first 2-3 weeks, you should be good!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jamie83

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 08:11:56 PM »
Hi, I get this a lot! Lately, I've been getting the burning sensation on the back of my head. I used to get it really badly on my left inner thigh. It feels like sun burn on your skin but there is no sun burn there, right? As soon as I accepted this as anxiety it immediatly went away. However, I still get it on the back of my head lately. I've just started Celexa (half tablet/10mg) and almost finished week one. My anxiety has heightened too, hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ymir

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 11:52:16 PM »
Is the burning painful or just disconcerting? Do you get cold hands/feet? Anxiety causes the sympathetic nervous system to become overactive, lessening the blood flow to the limbs. When the flood flow is suddenly returned to these areas (usually through relaxation), heat and tingling sensations occur.
Bookmark and Share

Offline simonsays84

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 12:18:27 AM »
Sometimes it seems painful, but I guess it's more just disconcerting....
I have been trying to be more relaxed lately, been doing some breathing exercises and such, which is one of the reasons I was so alarmed by the sensations because I wanted to relax my pains away.

Wow I hate this cycle! 

I just want to feel okay!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ymir

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 03:09:54 AM »
Healing can be painful. The problem is that the symptoms caused by healing give us anxiety which puts us right back where we started. Usually the most disconcerting symptoms occur following periods of relaxation or relief. In additional to heat and tingling I've experienced aches, pains, sinus pressure, excess phlegm, migraines, dizziness, fatigue, and trouble breathing (due to the breathing muscles being tired), brain fog, and various flu-like symptoms (which usually make me fear food poisoning). Some of these have triggered panic attacks. Most of the time I actual prefer the alert, stressful, and fight or flight states because at least I'm used to them. Best thing to do is to keep practicing and let them run their course as the nervous system heals. It's a long process.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BundleofNerves

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 05:32:34 AM »
Heya, I have posted a couple of times about burning sensations in my head at the back on the right side, I have been on Celexa for about 4 months now and have had the sensations all the time, I was told by my doc that your nerves can cause the burning sensation maybe it has something to do with the serotin levels??

Hope yours gets better, I am online at the mo checking out websites to see if it's a proven side effect \\\
Bookmark and Share

Offline Staddy06

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 09:24:59 AM »
I have had those burning sensations too.  They started with my first big health scare and continued until I started my meds (which was lexapro).  The sensation went away for a long time, until I quit my meds and went back into panic mode about everything.  I think after being on your meds for a while, you will feel much better and won't have the sensations that you experience now.  Remember to pray about and try not to worry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline littlemiss_anxious

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 10:15:30 PM »
When my anxiety was at its worst, I would wake up in the middle of the night, my body felt like it was on fire.  It was start in my head and spread all the way down to my feet.  It was the scariest feeling and I had NO CLUE what the heck was going on. My skin would get all blotchy looking, too - especially around my neck.  I still get a cold tingling on my scalp at times or a burning on my wrists (wrists/forearms turn red).  I'm not sure what to think about it, I keep freaking out that I'm getting arthritis, but from reading about it, it sounds like anxiety can cause this, too.

I had the wired feeling, too - I would literally pace back and forth in the house, couldn't sit still and my brain felt like chatter.  Or, other times, it was like my head went blank and I would get this dead feeling in my forehead - not sure how to explain it, but it was sooo scary.  It has to be anxiety because I've had every test, every scan and everything is pretty much clear.  I do have a neck injury (whiplash) so I'm assuming my nervous system was affected and because I already had anxiety issues, it just made them spike.

My best advice...stop googling - it only makes thing worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2Bogey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 08:30:20 PM »
I have a friend who has a lot of burning symptoms.  Her doctor prescribed her an antidepressant (can't remember the name).  Her burning symptoms resolved.  One night she forgot to take her medication, and she was burning from head to toe!  I think burning sensations that are all over the body, such as my friends, indicates anxiety or something like an allergy or a vitamin/mineral deficiency.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline imMatt

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 12:07:22 AM »
 I get burning/itching all the time as well. It comes and goes though. I first noticed it back in august when I had my big MS scare. I read about MS patients experiencing burning sensations.... I was put on prozac and a lot of the "symptoms" I had been feeling vanished. Then I went back to school and my anxiety picked up again, and I began to get the burning again. It feels almost like my skin is hyper sensitive.

Currently I am afraid of Hodgkin's though.... but it seems to go away when I am not thinking about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 01:15:53 AM »
i get burning sensations as well. last summer while in texas i suddenly had a case of burning palms that felt like they were on fire, nonstop tingling and horrible heat. i had to press them against the cool glass of the window to cool them off, and frequently running them under cold water. mind you, i was very anxious during that trip to texas and it was also a huge climate change, so i'm sure that's what caused it, but i was obsessed with MS at the time and that symptom definitely didn't help. i still get hot hands and burning sensations/heat flashes which are made worse when i'm stressed. i've heard many people say this is a sign of an overworked anxious brain. best advice is to not google, despite how bad the urge is; all it'll tell you are horror stories that will only make your anxiety worse and prolong your symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: