Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Crushing feeling after seeing anything sad?  (Read 717 times)

Offline greenzebra

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Crushing feeling after seeing anything sad?
« on: September 14, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
I've never been diagnosed with depression, just anxiety, but it seems to be manifesting itself as depression since the beginning of this year. Most of the time it's manageable, but sometimes I go through my phases where seeing something sad just crushes me. Like I saw this story about a baby elephant that kept crying after being separated from its mother, and it just makes me want to lay in bed and cry for hours because I'm so sad for this little guy. I know I sound like a big baby haha, but this stuff is just so sad and it really gets to me. Please tell me I'm not the only crazy one?
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
Re: Crushing feeling after seeing anything sad?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:30:19 AM »
You are not crazy and not alone. I've watched those baby elephants. They are rescued and hand fed in an elephant sanctuary which a woman originated and to which she devoted her life. She wrote a book, I think, but can't remember her name. When I watched I wanted to fly right out to Africa and be a volunteer.

And what about human suffering? We see so much of it these days. What can we do? It is a part in our brain that we must try to temper or find a way to be of help in our own environment. We can try and transform this into a good.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eduk8or

• Rec's: 11
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:50:53 PM »
I can relate.  I haven't been diagnosed with depression either, but have had this same feeling of wanting to cry after seeing something sad.  For instance, last weekend, after my son's 7th grade football game, a dad from the opposite team was being so mean and just ridiculous to his son.  They had lost the game and the dad was yelling at his kid and telling him it was a total embarrassment  and on and on.  The boy was just standing there silently with his head down, red-faced and had the saddest look on his face.  For some reason, this just broke my heart.  I could feel the tears kind of welling up in my eyes.  I didn't even know the kid or the dad, but for some reason, this just struck a chord with me.  Maybe we anxiety sufferers are just more sensitive than others??
Bookmark and Share

Offline greenzebra

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 11:18:53 PM »
Human suffering really breaks my heart too, I just saw more of animal suffering that day.

I'm glad I'm not alone. That is really sad, and it would've upset me too. :/ Maybe we are just more sensitive, it's just really annoying lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worryworryworry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:36:23 AM »
I get this to, i try not to watch anything thats sad, just dont need any of that to deal with and especially death, theres just certain things i cant watch, listen to or do. Anything bad I see i will relate to me or other people dieing, life is just all about death for me, thats all i think about every singe day, god my days are long and tiring
Bookmark and Share

Offline volante

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »
 Hi.
   You are certainly not alone, that's for sure.

I have been suffering with anxiety and depression for the past Ten years. I'm a typical Cancerian and very sensitive anyway, I've always wore my heart    on my sleeve too. I have been struggling a lot lately and my sensitive side seems to be increasing. 

I now have tears streaming down my face whenever I listen to sad songs and watch sad movies. I think ....'Oh my god whats wrong with you Man!'
   But that's just me, the way I am, I can't help it, but I seem to be getting worse lately.

Bookmark and Share
All are welcome to read my personal Blog

www.panicattackandanxietystopped.com

Offline thunderbreak

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 08:29:44 PM »
I felt the same with you too.That's the reason why I dont watch sad movies,exception(may be) for my fav actors/actresses(Rachel Weiss for example) and directors (Joe Wright).

Playing "irrelevant"games and watch movies help somewhat
Bookmark and Share

Offline thunderbreak

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 08:14:19 AM »
I've never been diagnosed with depression, just anxiety, but it seems to be manifesting itself as depression since the beginning of this year. Most of the time it's manageable, but sometimes I go through my phases where seeing something sad just crushes me. Like I saw this story about a baby elephant that kept crying after being separated from its mother, and it just makes me want to lay in bed and cry for hours because I'm so sad for this little guy. I know I sound like a big baby haha, but this stuff is just so sad and it really gets to me. Please tell me I'm not the only crazy one?

Yes , anxiety will manifest into depression.

My advice is stop watching, and try watch uber happy things.I clear my playlist of any songs that are remotely sad
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »
Seeing certain things makes me very sad also, and I have never been diagnosed with depression.
I have read it is best to avoid watching things that make you feel that sad.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: depression