Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Derealization  (Read 743 times)

Offline stebly

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Derealization
« on: September 12, 2013, 05:59:40 PM »
Hello, i'm Cameron, and attending high school. i have been feeling lots of anxiety these past couple of weeks. i have a history of panic attacks and lately i have been feeling a good amount of Derealization. if you are unfamiliar with that, it's the sensation that nothing around you, is real.

i just want to feel more connected, and feel that for sure this whole existence is truly real.

associations with these feelings, are feeling like you are about to wake up any moment and that this life will have just been a lie or a dream. i really don't want to wake up.

i love my family, and friends, and i panic when i think about losing them.

anyone else have these feelings?

p.s. if there is already a thread somewhere it would be nice if someone could redirect me. thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
Re: Derealization
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
Welcome, Stebly:)

I had a lot of panic and derealization sensations when I was 17 (I'm 40 now). A lot of "free floating" anxiety, which was just a sense of being anxious, fearful all the time for no reason. My therapist did a lot of work with me and one thing he always told me was to do slow, even, easy breathing and slow things down. (You may also be hyperventilating and not realize it and that can definitely create a very spacey sensation where things look weird.) Have you tried progressive muscle relaxation or guided imagery? (Healthjourneys.com is one site that I use that has some nice meditations.) Have you seen a counselor or anyone? DOes your school offer any counseling you can try? Anxiety can really play games with your whole body and your whole perception of reality. Just know that you're not alone, others go through this and it really is a sensation and not reality. You know this, which is great as well because you recognize something being off and can take positive steps. I recommend also not dwelling on the scary thoughts that may come, but like Claire Weekes writes, to let those thoughts just pass through you and they will release themselves. Dr Claire Weekes wrote Peace From Nervous Suffering and also Hope and Hep for your Nerves and I can't recommend those books enough. I have been rereading them all these years. It's wonderful advice. Might want to Google her name and check her on You Tube (some videos have recordings she made.) Accept the feelings and let them float on by. Not easy at first, but you can get used to it when you practice it a lot.

Since school just started, no doubt you must be feeling a lot of pressure and anxiety getting back into the routine and meeting new people and having a lot on your plate. Your feelings are all right and normal, and you have a right to feel the way you do about everything. Your experiences are valid and important.

You will get through this, and practising relaxation techniques or maybe talking to a counselor could help. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline HangingInThere

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 11:54:56 PM »
Hi Cameron!

I'm a girl, also in high school, and am all too familiar to derealization.  I'm really glad to find out this is just something that can happen and that I'm not uniquely crazy :P for me, I've found that what really helps is talking to someone and forcing yourself to engage in the conversation until you feel "grounded" again. For me, it normally passes within a few minutes, but I have had those days where I just feel like at any moment someone could tell me I've dreamt up everything and my life's in my head.  I also try to remember that these moments will pass, and just "enjoy the ride" so to say, and avoid panicking.  If you embrace it rather than reject it, it's easier to cope with.  I have imagined that this is what it might feel like to be high, so sometimes I just close my eyes, remember that this will pass, and let whatever happens happen.  Good luck! I know how tough it is in high school with an anxiety disorder, it feels like no one believes you or really understands your feelings sometimes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ilikemushrooms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:46:11 AM »
I'm in high school too, and I also think growing up into a young adult also is a trigger of most teenager's anxieties. Like me, I have derealisation too, and I get brain fog as well as thinking 'why am I in my body'. It's hard to forget it and treat anxiety in a day, but as many people say, it will pass with time and I wish you all the very best (: I agree with HangingInThere, as when I talk to other friends it makes me feel so much better and grounding, although sometimes it could peep up at any time when i'm not focused. Some people that are very close to me eg. parents, relatives, best friends etc. sometimes might trigger my dp/dr, but I guess it's because I was used to having that feeling when I first got it around them. :/ High school sucks, but yeah. There's probably a heck load of other people out there feeling the same thing, whether itd be mild or much worse. If there's any part of the day that you feel normal, even if it's like a second, you'll know that you can make it better (:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: