Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Mammogram Fears  (Read 505 times)

Offline SandraDee10

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mammogram Fears
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:12:39 PM »
Its almost that time of the year for annual mammogram I'm a young at heart 70 year old who freaks out as it gets closer. I've read your more at risk as you get older, my sister in laws mom got it in her late 70s she had a lumpecty but they said at that age no chemo needed. She may have had radiation not sure. I went through cyst benign removal which was freaky enough. I get so focus on this that not finding out, they used to give results, now you wait for a letter or a call. I sit on the couch afraid to do anything until I hear. My IBS kicks in, and every ache and pain is in my head a death sentence. I'm on anxiety meds but since I hit my 60 s and lost my job from economy 26 years to much time, not interested in making new friends, old friends scattered, and I could go on. I left my husband of 47 years and moved to another state with an apt in my daughters house, where no one knows me, to try and be me and not what others want me to be. I've been through therapy and I'm sick of crying. But here we go again....does this freak out all women????
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mammogram Fears
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »
Hi Sandra,

First of all, welcome to Anxiety Zone!!  This can be a very useful place for information and also proves to be a great distraction.  We do have a chat room as well, if you ever care to join in!

Regarding the mammo, I think all women are a bit apprehensive with the mammo, and of course the waiting for the results is the worst of it!!  Is this just a routine mammo for you or are you going for a specific reason?  Perhaps when you get the mammo, you can let them know of your anxiety and ask if there is a place you can go to pick up your results.  I know most hospitals have a medical records department, and all reports and such go into your medical record, and if you show an ID, you can often times pick up your results as soon as they are ready.  Hopefully this is the case where you are at so it could lessen the wait time for you.

It sounds like you are going through many changes in your life right now!!  I think it's a good thing to be who you are and not what others want you to be, but you would probably also benefit from a friend or two, so please give some thought into getting out a bit and meeting someone new. 

Glad you found this site!!!

Kathie
Bookmark and Share

Offline SandraDee10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »
I'm an OLD hat at going through mams at the age of 69 and they used to give results that day but because it was rushed most places now don't. My daughter was called back two days later for better pictures. Since I live in two states I constantly have to bring updated films depending where I am for my annual. Its a constant anxiety weeks before I go. I can't shake the feeling of what if. Since I'm new to this site I'm trying to find out how to get to chat rooms. I've always been a high anxiety type and always kept it to myself but after retiring the level gets out of control. I've done therapy more than once and felt no better just a lot of rehashing when I really need the tools to move the years are passing quickly.  How do you get on a chat site....are there any seniors who may feel the same, you young ones have a common bond, I'm not ready for polyester, but I don't have the desire to do more, so I dwell on the what if.  Thanks for the reply
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 10:26:28 PM »
Sandra, if you want to get into chat, at the top of your screen there is a 'chat' button.  click on that and you will be in chat.  The chat room is full of all ages, from 18 and up, and yes, there are some of us in our 50s and 60s so come join us!!!  I think you'd like it and it's a great distraction!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline 123anxious123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 01:33:15 PM »
Can you find a center that gives you the results the same day?  I know that my place gives the mammogram and I get them the same day so I don't worry.  Maybe if you explain the anxiety to your doctor she can put the order in for that?  Just an idea.  I know how hard it is to wait for results.  On the positive,  you have gone so long with great results and since you just are doing a screening and don't feel anything the chances are you are probably just fine!! Please try not to worry unless you have something to worry about.  I know it is hard, believe me - but please do try!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »
My goodness, mammograms have been oneof my hot buttons for a long time.  7 years ago, after not having had a mammo for 6 years, I decided to go to a spcialized breat clinic in Monmouth Co., NJ.  Of course, not knowing my breasts, and with my films so old, she saw something and recommended I have a biopsy immediately.  I did.  Everything was fine, but the agony I went through until those results came back was excruciating.

But take heart, the older you are when you get breast cancer, the less aggressive it is, because we don't have the hormones coursing through us.  I worry about my young daughter, and have been watching the brave girl Amy Robuck on Good Morning America.  40 years old, and just had a double mastectomy and is back on the air while receiving chemo.  Now that's courage.

Hang tough.  You'll make it through.

Best regards,

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 02:41:15 PM »
I forgot to mention in my last post to you, that there are specialized breast clinics that do only mammos.  I go to one and she is top-notch.  She comes right out to you, sits with you and explains your results.  Of course, this is expensive, but I'm worth it!

All the best, Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline worried24_7

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »
Hi new to the site for this very reason.  I just had my mammogram today and have been paralyzed with fear the rest of the day.  I am 47, found out in December that my aunt had BC at the age of 65 ( lumpectomy and tomoxifen) and my now 93 yo grandmother had it at 89.  I have no idea if my mom has it or not, she is 72 and hasn't had a mammo in 30 years!

So today as I filled out the updated family history ( family doesn't talk about this - found out 2 years later), I became consumed with anxiety.  It seems like it is everywhere.  In the circle of 10 of my coworkers, 3 have had it - one at 47 - my age!

Amy Robach's experience is my worst nightmare - it isn't even October and it seems like BC and young people getting it is everywhere.  Trying to talk this through with a therapist but isn't working.

The waiting is killing me - I am dreading the phone ringing - they said I will get a letter by Thursday - I don't know how I will make it until then.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the waiting?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: