Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Any emetophobes out there?  (Read 1491 times)

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Any emetophobes out there?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 07:07:13 PM »
I have it really bad, had it since about 1968 (the last time I actually threw up!).  When I hear "There's a stomach bug going around"  I can hardly eat, I spazz out.  When my daughter was little and would get a stomach ache if I didn't take a Xanax I'd be up the entire night bolting up right at any sound that she may be getting up to use the bathroom!  I'd go the whole next day maybe eating only 2 Oreos hoping that if there was no food in my stomach if I got sick there'd be nothing to throw up.  (I never did get sick from her, but that fear was debilitating)
When I make chicken I wash my hands about 50 times, I sterilize the counter, I cook like I am in a sterile environment (and maybe it works because my husband of 33 years has never had a stomach bug, my daughter is 26 and hasn't been sick like that since age 8 - so maybe the key is be very sterile with your cooking - they say MOST stomach bugs are actually food poisoning.  So you do have a lot of control.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Berkboston

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 10:11:51 PM »
Oh, you are so not alone. I have had Emetophobia for maybe 15 years. No idea what set it off. I've tried CBT which provided me with some skills to pull apart and challenge my thoughts, but never rally liked the concept of constantly fighting my anxiety (it works so very well for lots of folks though). Recently, I've found Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and find that I'm really much more drawn to that. It focuses more on finding peace and letting the bad times pass by, instead of getting tangled up in the anxiety spider web. Definitely check both forms of therapy out bc they may help you!

Honestly, really scared tonight. Been off a SSRI for about 3/4 months bc I had gastritis and esophagitis and am starting a new one tomorrow. I chose Lexapro for no other reason than it doesn't tend to cause many folks to vomit - probably not the best way to choose an SSRI - but it comes with the territory.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LawlietShoujo

• What's meant to be will always find a way.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 02:07:05 AM »
Hello,  :action-smiley-065:

I definitely have emetophobia! I am only 18 but let me tell you I have had it ever since grade school, I am PETRIFIED of vomiting! It is the scariest thing in the world to me, I had to leave high school because my anxiety attacks about throwing up were getting so bad.

I'm also 18, and I have emetophobia. I struggle with GAD, but as long as the symptoms aren't nausea, I can keep myself under control. But once the nausea kicks in, I lose my mind completely, and the anxiety destroys me. I have no idea how to deal with it.
Bookmark and Share
"If you want to escape the everyday, you must constantly evolve."

Offline chibimoeness

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »
Hey! I know where you're coming from, I'm an emetephobe as well. Despite the fact that I joined Anxiety Zone because I'm petrified of elevators, I wanted to discuss my other phobias as well.  :yes:
I hate vomiting so much! I've been holding it in since, and I know it's not a good thing! It's not so much that I'm scared of throwing up out of nowhere in public... it's mainly because I hate the feeling and taste. I hate how you can feel all the bile contracting through your esophagus. Very icky  :sick0002:
Anyway, welcome to Anxiety Zone!  :action-smiley-065: I'm new here too. I hope you enjoy your time here!
Bookmark and Share