Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Trigger?  (Read 427 times)

Offline Terrikimber

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Trigger?
« on: August 30, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
Hi Guys, so I have been thinking a lot lately about what causes my anxiety. I first started having panic attacks after my mum died when I was 14. I managed to bet the anxiety and the whole agoraphobia thing after a couple of horrible years and then spent 5 years living anxiety free. I started having anxiety and panic attacks again on 21/12/12. I'm not sure why it came back. I have come up with many explanations as to why.

My question for you guys... do you think your anxiety was triggered off or is just a random thing that your brain/ body does now and again?

Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Trigger?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 06:09:40 AM »
PTSD is a form of anxiety. Anxiety that was never dealt with back when it first came around. In other words we can have anxiety. We think we have it sorted. We get on with our life. Then it comes back to bite us hard a few years later. Could be related to older things from years ago. As PTSD is like the sleeping giant. Anxiety from years ago coming back out to haunt us. Not saying this is the case with you. Just one possible answer. But triggers can be anything. Things we may have associated with anxiety at one time or another. May remain dormant on the subconscious level. You see or hear something and it comes back to life. That's anxiety for you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline togepi567

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 02:51:04 PM »
Anxiety is certainly triggered by stressful life events. That's how it works.

It's the so-called Diathesis Stress Model. The combination of Vulnerability and Life Stressors create mental illness.

We can't control everything that happens to us in life though. So it's important to develop effective coping skills instead of trying to simply avoid stressful life events. In fact, avoiding stress (in order to reduce anxiety) will only make your psychological issues worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »
I know when i had my earliest memory of a panic situation. I don't know why it happened. My mom left to pick my brother up from school, as she'd done every day. (I was like, 6 years old) and for whatever reason I freaked the hell out about 10 minutes after that, to the point that i cried and called the police.

Something clearly triggered it. But I sure as hell don' tknow what. istill don't know what.
Bookmark and Share

Offline J.Oldridge

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:46:24 AM »
My anxiety started after everything i was bottleing up finally burst out. What triggers for me is if im having troble in school or feel out if place. Nighttime also triggers it sometimes(dont know why).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Terrikimber

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »
A bit late but thanks for the replies! I swear every time I think I have an understanding of this thing...
Bookmark and Share

Offline spektical-face

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
I'm not even sure why I have panic attacks. Sometimes I convince myself I don't because they are few and far between, I'm usually great at distracting myself when I'm feeling anxious. I don't know how to pinpoint a trigger, but my anxiety stems from over thinking things I find coincidental and for some reason I convince myself it means something bad is going to happen then I get intrusive thoughts until eventually I find I can't breathe or function and I just give in to the fear. I always ring someone close to me, talk through my fears and gain rational views and this calms me down. I've never had a panic attack when I've been completely isolated and the thought of having one when I can't find help I'd horrifying. I think it might kill me :( I think this forum is good in this regard. I hope your finding answers x
Bookmark and Share

Tags: