Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: please tell me whether this is a panic attack?  (Read 334 times)

Offline hangingbasket

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • health anxiety
    • Poke This Member
please tell me whether this is a panic attack?
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:11:51 AM »
I have had three of what I am hoping are panic attacks and not heart attacks.  They all came on randomly while doing normal everyday things,  all at home too.
It starts with a feeling in my stomach,  like gas is stuck somewhere which then begins to hurt. My chest gets painful. In the centre, like a tightness in my upper stomach and chest.  It really hurts.  I sweat,  not excessively, but my body feels damp and I get really hot. Today I felt nausea too and felt like I had to sit on the toilet but just passed a normal stool,  not diarrhoea.  The three times its happened,  its lasted about 20 mins and then gone away and left me feeling fine. Today was over a  bit quicker but I think it helped putting a damp cloth on my head to cool me down.  While this is happening I feel like I want to run away. But away from myself and the horrible feeling.  Is this a  panic attack? I feel nothing of my heart, aren't you supposed to be aware of your heart if it's a panic attack?  Also I'm not aware of hyperventilating although it does hurt to breathe.
Is this a panic attack or a heart attack or something more?
I am taking citalopram for anxiety.
I am 28 and female.
Someone please reassure me. What do panic attacks feel like?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: please tell me whether this is a panic attack?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:54:05 AM »
Panic attacks have no set rules. Some may make the heart beat faster. Other won't. The symptoms can vary from attack to attack. But as it came and went as it did and you as you suffer from anxiety, all things point to anxiety. It seems to clear up quickly. Could just be a digestive issue. Once you use the bathroom, it is gone. Trapped wind, acid reflux, you name it. Could be any of those at all. But once it clears up quickly I would be happy enough with this.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline hangingbasket

Worried
  • health anxiety
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 01:45:10 PM »
If I hadn't questioned my instincts I would say that with the feelings of panic and sweating and pain,  its definitely a panic attack.  But my health anxiety makes me question what it was.  So as it's  not often and passes quickly,   you wouldn't worry?  I would be sick afterwards if it was something serious right?  It wouldn't just go away?
Bookmark and Share

Offline HardCandy

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »
Have you tried taking Tum's or Pepto? Anything for gas?..Have you noticed that this happens after you eat certain foods or at a certain time of day??

I've suffered from both acid reflux with hardcore heart burn as well as panic attacks, this sounds to me like you're having a lot of gas built up which can come on randomly especially if you're suddenly moving around a lot. It feels like your chest it tight, hurts to breathe, and you often sweat feeling sick to your stomach. (Those are how I've experienced the gas)
I thought I was having a heart attack and went to the hospital when it first happened, was embarrassed when I was told it was just a lot of gas.

Before you work yourself up thinking it's panic attacks, and cause a panic attack lol try taking tums when you feel it and keep an eye on your diet. Perhaps write down what you've eaten or drank before this happens. I find soda can be a killer.

Hope this helped, I know it's so frustrating when you're unsure if you're body is in actual danger or not. Hang in there.
Bookmark and Share
I'm not out of my mind, I'm trapped inside it

Tags: