Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Reaction to one ssri, can I try others?  (Read 255 times)

Offline Beth0810

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Reaction to one ssri, can I try others?
« on: August 24, 2013, 09:57:35 AM »
I know my pdoc will say, "sure," but I wanted opinions or personal experience here. 

I have now made two separate attempts to go on sertraline, which in the past, I have taken with no issues at all (Four times?  maybe?) 

My two most recent attempts have given me red face and itching, which I understand is more of a "side effect" than an allergy- but one of my biggest fears is allergic reactions to medicines.

If sertraline made me itch, will other ssri's also be likely to cause this reaction?  I had never itched on sertraline prior to this year. 

Also, I was taking 12.5 mg of sertraline for 4 days this past week.  How long until it's out of my system?  5 days?  Every itch I have, I'm assuming is due to the medicine and it's not very fun. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline NYGirl

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Reaction to one ssri, can I try others?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »
Hi.  I'm sorry you're having a reaction to the sertraline.  Years ago when I first went on meds I was prescribed Paxil and has an allergic reaction to it.  Then I prescribed zoloft and while I was nervous to take it, I did and was fine. So yes, I'm sure you can try another. Contact your dr and tell him what's going on. I'm sure Ian (insights), or one of the others can tell you how long the meds stay in your system, I'm just not sure. Don't give up!
Bookmark and Share

Offline eduk8or

• Rec's: 11
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 02:39:05 PM »
Yes you can try others.  Psychiatric drugs are very "trial and error" because each one works differently in different people.  Remember that it also takes time for SSRIs to kick in- some at least 6 weeks, so don't be discouraged if you don't see results right away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 06:23:16 PM »
I have now made two separate attempts to go on sertraline, which in the past, I have taken with no issues at all (Four times?  maybe?)

There is growing evidence that when antidepressants (ADs) are stopped and restarted the initial side-effects can become progressively more severe each time or may differ from previous occasions. A higher dose may also be needed to achieve previous levels of control, and there is an increased chance that ADs won't work at all.

Because of this, and given this is the fifth? time you've needed to go back onto ADs, maybe you should consider staying on them permanently.

If sertraline made me itch, will other ssri's also be likely to cause this reaction?  I had never itched on sertraline prior to this year.

Maybe. Sertraline is the most likely of the SSRIs to cause blushing and itchiness so there is a very good chance than other SSRIs won't, but this isn't guaranteed. Unfortunately, the only way to know is trying them. IMHO, citalopram (Celexa) would be a good next choice.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: