Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Medication and sleep - zoloft and clonazepam  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Medication and sleep - zoloft and clonazepam
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »
I've noticed the clonazepam has been only moderately successful for the reason my doctor prescribed-.25mg at night before sleeping. It has, however, been very good for the physical symptoms of my anxiety, even at such a low dose. I'm now wondering if i should ask my doctor for Remeron (his other option for sleep, although he preferred clonazepam) and request to take the klonopin in the morning rather than at night
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • The heart of me is strong...T.I. J.T.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »
sev times a month i add a crumb of a 15 mg remeron pill to my daily,nightly klonopin dose. per my pdoc. works very well, but careful....too much and u awake with a hangover.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 06:48:16 PM »
I'm now wondering if i should ask my doctor for Remeron (his other option for sleep, although he preferred clonazepam) although he preferred clonazepam) and request to take the klonopin in the morning rather than at night

If it is only for sleep then trazodone (Desyrel) would be a better option, IMHO. It has a shorter half-life than Remeron so there's less risk of a sedation 'hangover' the next day, it is far less likely to poop-out, no antidepressant side-effects and at the doses prescribed for insomnia it won't interfere with most other meds except antihistamines which you shouldn't need to take anyway because trazodone itself is a powerful antihistamine at low doses.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 10:46:42 PM »
For the last couple of months or so I have been using Xanax about twice per week (occasionally three times per week) at about .5 mg just before bed and it really does help me sleep well.  I just feel so relaxed this way before bed (especially if I do a 20 minute guided meditation before bed, as well).  I realize this is not optimal and plan on finding another solution particularly since I am seeing a Psych Dr. for the first time on Wed.

Trazodone does work generally well for sleep, as well, based on my experience but I seem to get heightened anxiety on it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 04:57:08 PM »
I'm now wondering if i should ask my doctor for Remeron (his other option for sleep, although he preferred clonazepam) although he preferred clonazepam) and request to take the klonopin in the morning rather than at night

If it is only for sleep then trazodone (Desyrel) would be a better option, IMHO. It has a shorter half-life than Remeron so there's less risk of a sedation 'hangover' the next day, it is far less likely to poop-out, no antidepressant side-effects and at the doses prescribed for insomnia it won't interfere with most other meds except antihistamines which you shouldn't need to take anyway because trazodone itself is a powerful antihistamine at low doses.

Ian

It was my Psychiatrist who preferred Remeron over Trazodone, due to a bad reaction a few years ago when i was dealing with sleep issues (long before i realized my anxiety was abnormal).
Bookmark and Share

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »
Gandalf,

What was your reaction on Trazodone if you don't mind my asking?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 03:02:12 PM »
The one time i took trazodone i had very very strong shortness of breath, like a weight was on my chest. It was bad enough that i was afraid to go to sleep (although i did sleep like a log) and went back to my pcm the next day and did without medication from then (lunesta had worked but anytime i did not have it with me i didnt sleep at all).

So now, three years later and recently diagnosed with GAD, I am doing better, but klonopin did not greatly assist my sleep and my psych yesterday prescribed Remeron, which i take  for the first time tonight.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: sleep medication 

anything