Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What Do You Believe Happpens When You Die?  (Read 6874 times)

Offline Doxie Lover

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Hanging In
    • Poke This Member
Re: What Do You Believe Happpens When You Die?
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 10:09:10 PM »
"When the time comes" is an obsessive issue for me. Remember a case where a woman felt she could no longer carry on alone but did not want to become dependent in an assisted living situation.

This is the dilemma that plagues me. The getting there, not anything thereafter.

Yes, that is a huge issue today, especially with Alzheimer's.  My mother has it and it is getting progressively worse.  It's not an easy thing to live with or watch.  I also don't want to be in a situation where nurses have to clean me and bathe me, etc.  I hope I can be independent until my last days.   I guess keeping mentally and physically active is key, and taking care of one's health, although I'm overweight.  I have been on so many diets so many times, but I keep trying. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 88
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 08:03:59 AM »
This is a Pandora's Box for me. Obsesses me much of my time. We get strokes and dementia and I'm no youngster. When I see the game is up I want out. And I'll go with a smile, with acceptance, with courage. But there is no help. We are on our own.

I do think we can do much for ourself physically and mentally. Good weight is important. This does not get easier as we get older. On top of that we get more of a craving for sweets. But I devise all sorts of tricks to distract myself. This can work. Takes a bit of analysis.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Doxie Lover

Okay
  • Hanging In
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 08:34:05 PM »
Yes, you're right.  Trying to cut back on stuff...sigh.  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 07:50:10 AM »
It is not easy, DL, but you can make progress. It is really very important to be a good weight.

For starters, can you cut out items with much sugar, white flour, fried stuff, chips? Definitely sugary drinks. Commit to some exercise? Read diet books to get ideas?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Doxie Lover

Okay
  • Hanging In
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 10:07:41 PM »
Yes, I'm trying to eat less and eat better.  I don't drink sodas hardly at all anymore...once in awhile I'll have a diet coke or something.  My weakness is chocolate  :angry-smiley-034: 
But I am one of those people who has battled weight their whole life.  I was born at over 10 pounds!  I've never been thin except for when I used to intentionally not eat.  In my 20's I used to starve myself.  I would eat nothing but water crackers on most days.  But that was years ago, and clearly, that wasn't healthy anyway.  As you get older, it gets harder to keep the weight off.  But I am trying with small changes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 08:19:12 AM »
Good for you. You'll see results and feel rewarded. Much depends on a person's metabolism. Maybe yours was slow to begin with and it does not get better as we get up there. Chocolate is my worst weakness. Occasionally I allow some.

My main trick is to eat the primary meal during the day, not evening. Brain is notified, "Not much after this" and thoughts of food are banished. Floss and brush teeth and am done except for water or tea. Keeps weight mostly even. Also exercise and walk. That helps too. But no matter what I do waist wants to disappear.

Just want to add that we seem to be drifting into talk about diet in GenSec's thread in Addiction section re alcohol (and chocolate), probably more appropriate than here. He seems to want to talk diet too. Thought I'd mention this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

• Rec's: 61
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 08:49:11 PM »
Yes, I'm trying to eat less and eat better.  I don't drink sodas hardly at all anymore...once in awhile I'll have a diet coke or something.  My weakness is chocolate  :angry-smiley-034: 
But I am one of those people who has battled weight their whole life.  I was born at over 10 pounds!  I've never been thin except for when I used to intentionally not eat.  In my 20's I used to starve myself.  I would eat nothing but water crackers on most days.  But that was years ago, and clearly, that wasn't healthy anyway.  As you get older, it gets harder to keep the weight off.  But I am trying with small changes.

Hi DL,

You know, i'm not sure everybody was meant to be thin. :winking0008: I think we all naturally come in different shapes and sizes, and a naturally cuddly lady can be just as pretty as a naturally thinner one. Its sad that this thin-obsessed culture we live in that girls in their teens and twenties like yourself feel the need to half starve themselves. My personal feelings on the subject are that if a person is naturally bigger then as long as its not impacting adversely on their health then they're fine just the way they are. :happy0062: Acceptance of ourselves is such a healthy thing. Being bigger doesn't automatically mean the person is unhealthy or unattractive, nor that they need to battle with themselves endlessly in the pursuit of thinness.

I'm just not a fan of this one-size-fits-all attitude nowadays, particularly when it comes to the ladies because they tend to suffer the most from it, sadly.

I mean come on... a life without chocolate? Is that really a life worth living i ask!? :laugh3:

Regards,
Gen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Doxie Lover

Okay
  • Hanging In
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »
Tinam,

I think this board was actually a discussion about what we believe happens after death...but yes...we seem to have drifted off topic.

GenSec,

Unfortunately, we live in a world where physical beauty is placed above all else.  But my days of starving are over...I'm now middle-aged and can't/won't go through the whole not eating thing.  I couldn't even if I wanted to because it would increase my anxiety.  I used to "diet" when I was young before anxiety and panic attacks began to occur.  But now it is inconceivable since lots of things trigger my anxiety.

And you're right...who could or would want to live without chocolate??   :laugh3:   It's practically my only vice anymore!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 08:09:05 AM »
Maybe we can tie this in to the origins of the thread and suggest we want to look sharp when we arrive at the Pearly Gates.

Forgetting the images paraded in front of us, it does feel better when clothes are not pinching and hurting because of body dimensions. With less weight we are likely to have more time here and can postpone the concern about the other side. We want to be the ideal weight for our bone structure. We thereby ease the burden on the internal organs and can delay our trip elsewhere. When I get there I want the gents to notice me. They seem to like slim and shapely.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• A weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 06:49:56 AM »
As a religious person, I believe in heaven.
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

UPDATE, 4th May 2015: Still haven't thought of a funny caption.

Tags:

anything