Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Getting a tattoo with Vicodin  (Read 671 times)

Offline J-Rex

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Getting a tattoo with Vicodin
« on: August 17, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »
So my sisters and I all decided to get sister tattoos. I genuinely want the tattoo and I feel like it would feel extra special because of how hard it was for me to get it.
I'm afraid of needles, pain, and being touched, along with being anxious about big moments like this in general. I tried to get the tattoo before. My sister is a tattoo artist and she was willing to let me drink when I got it, but I got so nervous that I ended up drinking way too much and panicking about it.
Round 2! My sister has a Vicodin that I can take and that should really calm me down. But I've never been on Vicodin before and I can't picture myself being calm about something like this because I'm never calm about these things!
It would help me to hear about others' experiences with Vicodin or with tattoos. It helps me calm down if I can find out more information because 9 times out of 10, the thing I'm worried about isn't nearly as scary as I think it is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaner

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Judge not, lest ye be judged.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Getting a tattoo with Vicodin
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:40:51 PM »
I'm not a doctor, however, I have a lot of medical knowledge regarding pain meds due to having spinal cancer.

I would definitely not take a Vicodin that wasn't prescribed to you.

Why?

Pain meds act differently among different people, moreover, they can affect your mental outlook differently, sometimes actually making people more nervous or anxious. Being that you already have a phobia and anxiety issues regarding all of this, IMO, you should stay away from something that will alter your mentally. Yes, it might help, but there is that chance it could make the experience worse. Especially, if you have a sensitive reaction to the Vicodin.

What to do?

Personally, I would just go it cold turkey. Bite the bullet, or consult with your doctor if Vicodin or maybe a small Rx of Xanax would work.

Best of luck and God Bless....
Shane
Bookmark and Share

Offline eduk8or

• Rec's: 11
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »
I have a tattoo on my right, inside wrist and while I wouldn't say it didn't hurt at all, for me it was just slightly uncomfortable while I was getting it and didn't hurt at all once it was done.  I am really glad I did it.  It definitely didn't hurt enough for me to take a vicodin...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 02:03:21 PM »
If anyone is still following this thread, I have a bit to offer.

I have the biggest fear of pain and needles its unbelievable. I had a really bad experience as a child where they were trying to take blood for tests and poked at me for about an hour.

Now here is the really odd thing... I have 5 tattoos. I can watch the needle and everything. My only explanation as to why I can tolerate them is that I really want them. Each and every one is deeply personal to me. Different parts of the body may be more sensitive than others.

I am not saying that if you really want one that you may not be afraid. I have a really great artist that will stop and give me breaks when I need them. You really will not know until you give it a try. Perhaps pick a spot that would be covered up and have your sister do just a tiny little thing and see how you feel! Best of luck to you!
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Tags: