Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Accepting the Diagnosis.............  (Read 55629 times)

Offline lostmind

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Accepting the Diagnosis.............
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2013, 05:26:46 AM »
Awesome post.

Someone close to me joked that considering the frequency of my HA, you'd think I enjoyed it...

and I guess it IS a way to control and express not just an excess of physical anxiety, but deep-seated feelings of losing control, feeling hopeless and doomed, feeling small and powerless against uncontrollable forces.

The rituals of HA (googling, testing, obsessing) reinforce the old behaviour and prevent me from confronting these more general, faulty and/or useless ways of thinking about myself and the world.

Thanks for helping me question them more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jh71

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2013, 09:13:50 PM »
Wow, amazing, inspirational, and so very true. Accepting that nothing is wrong is the first step to accepting anxiety for what it is. Wonderful story and congrats!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Haaky

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »
what bothers me is that you can accept you are hypocondriac, but still think you are sick. Personally. I know I am wrong, still I have a voice in my head teling me the part of me that knows I am wrong knows I am wrong. So my mind is having this eternal battle with itself. Man it's hard.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rikita

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2013, 03:02:18 PM »
great post! I am working on it :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mwtzzz

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2013, 05:34:13 PM »
You have to be realistic about life. We are mortal things. As Spalding Gray said, "Everyone knows they're going to die, but no one believes it." I personally think it's worthwhile to occassionally make efforts towards internalizing and believing it, instead of trying to deny it or refusing to believe it. I mean, whether you believe it or not, accept it or not, it's going to happen.

Very few people live long enough to where they die of "old age." Most of us will die by other means. Some of us will be statistics and die younger than we would like from some disease or ailment. Others will have accidents. Almost everyone that lives long enough will get cancer.

People with health anxiety have not taken the time to think through the facts of their mortality. They have not followed the chain of logic to its natural conclusion. It's like someone who suffers a phobia. The thinking stops at the first sign of fear. They have not thought it through to its natural end.

Indeed, how hard can dying actually be? 11 billion people have done it before us.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hopey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »
That is incredible! I am seeing a neurologist on Monday. I may rethink this now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline london0625

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2013, 10:05:52 PM »
So glad I found this post. I have been dealing with anxiety for 6 months now and at times I let it take over my life. There were some key quotes in your post that I'm keeping with me and making them my daily mantra. First and foremost "You Had your tests. You had your work up - your doctor is unconcerned, and so too should you be. Let it go." This is part of my reoccuring thoughts of "they are missing something". I am going to focus daily on this quote to get through the day. In addition, "You are well - choose to be, live life that way, and enjoy each day". I am going to practice these as positive reinforcement. I was having a panic attack while registering to this site to try and connect with those also dealing with anxiety. I can say after reading your post I now have a sense of calmness. Thank You. I will make tomorrow my "Father's Day" and put my concerns on hold for 24 hours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrambleRamble93

• Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2013, 07:18:10 PM »
Got the results back from wearing a holter monitor for 24 hours aaaand everything was fine -_- I'm glad about that and sort of accepting it... but come on I feel like there is no way that everything is fine.  I was worried while I wore it I wouldn't have any symptoms but I had plenty so I thought for sure they would be able to easily tell me what is wrong.  There is just no way something isn't wrong!  I may accept that nothing is wrong with my heart...but now I'm just going to start to worry something is wrong with my brain =/
Bookmark and Share
If you put water into a cup it becomes the cup, if you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle, if you put it into a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash.  Be water my friend.  - Bruce Lee

Offline robertg

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2013, 01:59:58 AM »
Wow.. this is a really remarkable work of writing, you should definitely submit this to a doctor magazine. This helped me tremendously.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Millbrook1950

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2013, 11:20:45 AM »

I have a problem.  I come out of the doctors surgery and I am fine.  To start with I accept what they say but after a short period I start doubting.  What's the answer, I am on meds and having CBT
Bookmark and Share

Offline snjmom2013

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Trouble with acceptance
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2013, 09:00:05 PM »
Like many of you have stated previously, I am SOOOO glad that I stumbled across this site.. I was diagnosed many years ago with anxiety/panic disorder. (That was when I was 19, i am 44 now) ... over the years my phobias and anxiety increased and hypochondria has been a constant struggle for me since I was at least 21 years old. I have a viscous cycle because I am health anxiety/hypochondria but I am also afraid of needles (especially IV's) and being put under.  These are not the ordinary fear and concerns that most people have rather incapacity, all consuming terrible fear that I experience.

I have many different complaints and symptoms. I elect myself for any non-invasive procedures all the time. Ultrasounds, MRI's, CT Scans, and despite my fear of needles, I do get my fair share of bloodwork as much as possible because I need them to find the answer to my puzzling symptoms. If a doctor tells me things are ok, it is not met with relief and joy as it should be. My brief moment of relief is followed by panic and despair as I go over what could have happened for them to miss my diagnosis. One doctor put it very simple but bluntly, I create my own prison because of my fears. It's true and the rational side of my head does realize that I create excess worry and panic over everything. I have been told before by doctors, Do not Google ANYTHING medical related! It is so bad that I am discouraged from reading those slips of paper that accompany medications because I will swear I have multiple side effects within minutes or hours of taking whatever pill it is. I excessively use the Emergency Room which my insurance company does not look upon too kindly. I was told not to use it unless it is a life threatening situation. Well, Hello!! to me, with my panic stricken mind.. it IS an emergency life threatening situation. I usually go through some testing, they rule out the option that it is something that I need to be admitted for, and send me home. This has repeated over and over so many times that I could not count that high!!

So, with all that background being said... here is my current situation. I recently was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Last week, I had a video endoscopy pill because I was afraid to get the "traditional" scope done.. (still awaiting results) .... now today Saturday September 14th, I went for my first mammogram and an ultrasound under my armpit for a lump (suspected to be a lipoma)... I am worried sick, all I think about is my pending results. I am scared to death and cannot relax. A million things run though my head and none of which is rational thoughts let alone calm reassuring thoughts.

There is so much more I could say about my conditions, thoughts, feelings but I do not want to overwhelm any of you right off the bat. Bottom line is that I search for answers and if I get any answers I cannot accept them. It is something that really affects my daily activities and quality of life. I joined this site to hear from like minded individuals so that I don't feel so alone. Thanks for reading.

(official diagnoses thus far-- type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sciatica, IBS, gallstones, Fibromyalgia, depression, and anxiety/panic/phobia disorders with and without agoraphobia.))) 
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxious_brit

• Poke This Member
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2013, 04:56:41 AM »
Welcome! Hope this board helps :)
Bookmark and Share
"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live"

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline Upanova01

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2013, 09:15:30 PM »
This is a fantastic post! I've printed it out. Everything written here is so true to my experience with HA. Brought tears to my eyes. Thank you, Pan,
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2013, 06:09:47 AM »
I read this for the first time yesterday morning. And I decided to let the fear go for a day. This morning I felt so tired and I decided to read it again. I'm going to print this and keep it next to my bed. So I can read it every morning I need it. Thank you so much Pan, for pointing my nose in the right direction.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SirWorriesAlot

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2014, 08:39:34 PM »
Wow - I am brand new here and this is one of the first things I read.  I am glad it was, I feel better already!  Great perspective and extremely well written.  Thanks alot!
Bookmark and Share