Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Mammogram on Wed., freaking out  (Read 605 times)

Offline MmeMulot

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Mammogram on Wed., freaking out
« on: August 05, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »
I have my annual mammogram on Wednesday, and I'm freaking out and worried like crazy about it. I'm so scared I'm going to have breast cancer! A good friend and a coworker have been battling BC the past two years, and I'm paranoid about it. I've been so tired, I figure it must be a symptom. B-; I've gone through this stress every year since I had a callback once (it turned out to be nothing). Do any of you other women freak out about this every year?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mominpanic

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mammogram on Wed., freaking out
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »
I am 39, so haven't had one yet as I was told I don't need to get them until age 40, but since I've turned 39 I've been stressing about it more and more, and I still have about 9 months to go!  I can imagine how stressful it was for you to get that callback, I'd be freaking out too, but at the same time from what I've heard it's normal, and I've known several people who have had callbacks and it turned out to be nothing.  I'm sure your mammogram will be nothing and once it's over you can put it behind you for another year!  The fact that you have them regularly is HUGE, so in the VERY off chance something did show up, you'd be on top of it and be fine. 
Bookmark and Share
A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones - Proverbs 17:22

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »
This last December I found a lump in my breast and had to go in for my first mammogram and ultrasound as well.  I was lucky enough to get the all clear, but I can certainly understand your anxiety.  It sounds to me like you are staying on top of your health and being checked regularly. As the result, I do not believe you have too much to fear.  I think all will come back clear and you will be absolutely fine.  Good luck.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline MmeMulot

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 12:03:30 AM »
Thank you for the replies. My mind keeps going to the place that I shouldn't have been given the all-clear on the call-back ultrasound a few years ago, they missed the cancer, and it's been spreading ever since. Because that's what my HA mind does.  :dazed:

The way breast cancer is talked about all the place all the time, it feels like every single woman is going to get it! I mean, I'm certainly glad there's research and coverage and education, but I don't want to have to think about it all the time!
Bookmark and Share

Offline suchaworrywort

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 07:05:13 AM »
Thank you for the replies. My mind keeps going to the place that I shouldn't have been given the all-clear on the call-back ultrasound a few years ago, they missed the cancer, and it's been spreading ever since. Because that's what my HA mind does.  :dazed:

The way breast cancer is talked about all the place all the time, it feels like every single woman is going to get it! I mean, I'm certainly glad there's research and coverage and education, but I don't want to have to think about it all the time!

I could have written this myself.  I had an all-clear MG and US back in October, which proved a lump to be benign, but I was almost shaking during my annual exam last week because I was sure the doctor would find the lump and would tell me it had grown and no longer felt like a benign condition.

And agreed about the constant coverage.  I know a young woman who died earlier this year, and know how important this all is, but all the pink and the scary commercials make it really difficult for the anxiety-prone to think clearly about this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
I am going to celebrate the fact that you're getting a mammogram!  I know that you are nervous and I validate those concerns.  I would like to challenge you to change your perspective.  Rather than being worried about the upcoming test, see it as a positive that IF IF IF you have breast cancer, here is where you will find out which is so much better than being so scared of a test that you don't get it.  The next challenge is, after your exam, when you get the all-clear, BELIEVE the doctor.  We HA people have a very hard time accepting a diagnosis of "you're fine".  I think a big part of overcoming these worries is changing our perspective.  IF something is wrong, you will have to deal with it just the same as everyone else who has a lump in their breast.  BUT I think you're going to be ok.  And when you are, use that as a jumping off point to try to combat future worries.  Way easier said than done, but we here at AZ are all going thorough it and here to support: )
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Offline MmeMulot

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »
Thanks, BeeDot and worrywort!

I just had the mammogram. Now I wait. I've felt like I wanted to throw up all morning.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »
Nicely done!  I"m really proud of you!  I know that is a frightening thing, but you did it and that is something to celebrate: )  Just keep us posted on how you're doing and feeling.  It's out of your hands.  You showed up,  you did your part.  Now, try to enjoy life today!

My best to you.
Cheers,
Sarah B.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MmeMulot

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »
Mammogram was normal!  :yes: Whew!!!!! I was checking my phone constantly yesterday in case I missed a call to come back in.

But, boy, do the girls hurt after being mashed this way and that!
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 11:10:59 AM »
Yay!  I'm happy for you MmeMulot! 

I've not had a mammogram yet, but I've heard they are painful : (

Have a great day and thanks for keeping us posted
Bookmark and Share

Offline MmeMulot

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 11:59:48 AM »
BeeDot, this is the first year where they really hurt. (This is my fourth or fifth mammogram.) But they were kind of tender going in. Apparently the pain level can really be affected by the timing of your menstrual cycle, so try to make an appointment during the time of the month when your breasts are least tender, if possible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tryingtobesane

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 01:06:22 PM »

I completely agree with this. You would think they would have found a cure by now with all the money that has been raised.

But I don't think they ever will because BC is big business $$$.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: