Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does your heart have to pound for it to be a panic attack?  (Read 600 times)

Offline flowersblair

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have 2 attacks where my chest was affected. (Tightening, sore, palpitations) but the majority of my attacks are a weird feeling in my head, feeling like my legs want to start having a mind of their own, lightheaded, hot, irritable, hypervigilant, shaky, tense muscles, urge to run away, neck tension, eyestrain/pain behind my eyes, urge to scream. I experience a strong calmness once it all subsides. I'm confused how adrenaline can cause all these symptoms but not the racing heart. Not having the racing heart gives me more anxiety because I get worried I'm not actually having panic attacks. These feel like limited symptom attacks based on my seizure fear. Does anyone else have limited symptom attacks with the symptoms I've listed?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does your heart have to pound for it to be a panic attack?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 06:07:44 AM »
I have had many a panic attack with a racing heart. Our symptoms differ, person to person. Just because the heart is not racing it does not mean it is not a real panic attack. Trust me when I say that thousands of people would love anxiety attacks minus the racing heart. Those who do get it worry about it. They imagine they are having a heart attack. You are lucky not to get it. There are many others just like you. Who will have various symptoms. But no racing heart.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline NeedAdvice2013

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 06:42:18 AM »
The initial response to your post is so true! I get the racing heart, chest pain, etc.....feels like this is "it"....I hope and pray your attacks never have this symptom at all, it is so scary.
Bookmark and Share

Online Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 06:31:27 AM »
nope! Mine rarely ever does. At most, ill get 100 BPM, but even then thats not common. Everyone's heart works differently, at different output levels at different times. Depending on your physical conditioning, your heart may vary heavily. In my case, years of athletic endeavors and living in high altitudes actually lowered my heart rate below average (in such conditions, your body learns to use oxygen more efficiently, resulting in less heartbeats especially when you move to low altitude.)

Panic attacks can have any number of symptoms, only some of which may show up for any given attack. I rarely ever shiver from them, but it happens now and then.
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:01:06 PM »
No.
When one comes across for me it is sometimes a feeling of doom.
It can also be as if you can not breath. But each person is different for their symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline flowersblair

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »
This all helps put my mind at ease. Like I said, I did have 2 panic attacks associated with heart attack fears. The pounding subsided but the chest pain took a couple of hrs to go away & I was in fight/flight mode the whole time.

Bottom line:  any symptom is horrible. The "what is happening to me?" Thought being the worst of all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline suchaworrywort

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 12:11:52 AM »
I just posted a question a lot like yours.  The only time I've had a racing heart was when I was coming off a beta blocker.  It was miserable.  Glad not to have that symptom as a general rule, but wish the other symptoms would stop!  I agree that not having the racing heart is almost more worrying because it makes me wonder if it's really a panic attack or something else.  Isn't anxiety just soooo much fun?   ::)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: