Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Feel like people won't understand  (Read 575 times)

Offline theworrier05

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Feel like people won't understand
« on: July 25, 2013, 06:08:51 PM »
I suffer from social anxiety, but i am in desperate need of a job. I am so scared that if ever i eventually get a job, my anxiety will ruin it. When i get anxious i start gagging, i have no control over it. When i have interviews i panic so much that i am always on the verge of crying with nerves when i get there. I cant even make a phone call without shaking, and i don't know how i'd explain it to any future employers. I need a job but can't get past the anxiety. Also i would need to get on the bus, which really makes me panic, as i always end up gagging on the bus, eapecially crowded ones, and then i feel worse at the interview. I can't afford therapy and i don't know of any free services in my area. Im stuck. would be grateful for any advice or ideas.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cilantro

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feel like people won't understand
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 03:41:47 AM »
Do you think you could handle a job with very little customer interaction if you could get past the interview? Maybe you could read up on some prospects that require other skills that you can hold down while you work on anxiety, too. That's specific, and I hear people do better with specific goals and plans than vague ones.

I don't know of any free resources, though CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is supposed to have some online. Maybe another member can chime in with something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eduk8or

• Rec's: 11
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feel like people won't understand
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
There are TONS of books out there that deal with anxiety and how to help yourself. Is there a public library where you live?  If you don't already have one, you could get a library card and check out some books on anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: