Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Question about klonopin dependency  (Read 783 times)

Offline kutekat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Question about klonopin dependency
« on: July 23, 2013, 06:46:10 AM »
So I have been given .5mg klonopin pills to use while I get on celexa, and I have found myself taking one about every 4-5 days, sometimes to get something done or because I'm having a rough night, and I'm worried that somehow I am becoming dependent on it??? Have taken 8 pills so far, and only 7 left. Is it safe to continue using it like this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Question about klonopin dependency
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 07:34:17 AM »
So I have been given .5mg klonopin pills to use while I get on celexa, and I have found myself taking one about every 4-5 days, sometimes to get something done or because I'm having a rough night, and I'm worried that somehow I am becoming dependent on it??? Have taken 8 pills so far, and only 7 left. Is it safe to continue using it like this?

Yes. You need to take benzodiazepines daily for some weeks before dependence might become an issue.  You could take Klonopin for the rest of your life at the current rate without problems. You will, however, almost certainly become dependent on Celexa and will need to taper of it over several weeks or months should you decide to stop taking it.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:55:26 PM »

Yes. You need to take benzodiazepines daily for some weeks before dependence might become an issue.  You could take Klonopin for the rest of your life at the current rate without problems. You will, however, almost certainly become dependent on Celexa and will need to taper of it over several weeks or months should you decide to stop taking it.

Ian

Thanks a lot Ian :) helpful as usual! I have been on 10mg celexa for about a month now, and haven't really noticed a big difference in my anxiety, though my mood has slightly improved. Do you think I should talk to my doctor about upping the dose to 20mg? Everyone says that is the therapeutic dose, but I really don't want to have to go through side effects again. Should I give the 10mg more time?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 06:25:33 PM »
I have been on 10mg celexa for about a month now, and haven't really noticed a big difference in my anxiety, though my mood has slightly improved. Do you think I should talk to my doctor about upping the dose to 20mg?

Yes. For most it is the minimum therapeutic dose. But don't do it in one jump, go up to 15mg for 7-10 days.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:30:03 AM »
I have been on 10mg celexa for about a month now, and haven't really noticed a big difference in my anxiety, though my mood has slightly improved. Do you think I should talk to my doctor about upping the dose to 20mg?

Yes. For most it is the minimum therapeutic dose. But don't do it in one jump, go up to 15mg for 7-10 days.

Ian

actually, i am not sure if i should consider upping my dose yet since i still seem to be having side effects from celexa?? either that or klonopin. but i keep feeling zoned out and depressed and anxious out of no where, for about 1 1/2 days...about every week or so. but i also feel like i am not getting the full benefit of celexa :( so frustrated, and i hate taking all this klonopin. i want to go to the doctor and tell him about how i'm feeling, but i don't think he'd do anything! he is so useless when it comes to psychiatric meds, but he is a gp afterall :/ think i should keep taking the celexa and klonopin as needed?? i really don't want to become dependent on the klonopin.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 08:04:45 AM »
actually, i am not sure if i should consider upping my dose yet since i still seem to be having side effects from celexa?? either that or klonopin. but i keep feeling zoned out and depressed and anxious out of no where, for about 1 1/2 days...about every week or so.

I suggest a more likely explanation is that you are depressed, anxious and zoned out because the only medication that is doing anything for you is the Klonopin on the days you take it. At 10mg the Celexa is contributing very little if anything. If you don't want to go up to an effective dose you would be better to discontinue it as taking it at sub therapeutic doses for extended periods may increase the odds of developing a tolerance to the drug.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:14:51 AM »
I am on 10 mg celexa and I have started feeling better. I have been on that for almost 3  wks. I was hoping that was all I would have to take or no more than 20 mg. I want to find the lowest therapeutic dose not rush up so fast. but could a person then lower it with out any problem. I didn't know these drugs were so tricking. It is making me feel so weird about them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
I thought lower doses work for some people,esp with the ssris. People with anxiety really need to start low and go slow.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 05:02:49 PM »
I am on 10 mg celexa and I have started feeling better. I have been on that for almost 3  wks. I was hoping that was all I would have to take or no more than 20 mg. I want to find the lowest therapeutic dose not rush up so fast. but could a person then lower it with out any problem. I didn't know these drugs were so tricking. It is making me feel so weird about them.

Antidepressants are not like aspirin where taking 2 tablets gives a doubling of the effect of 1 tablet. They work by boosting the production of new brain cells to replace those damaged by stress hormones. There is a minimum dose required to initiate and sustain this reaction which varies from person to person, but for Celexa is usually at least 20mg. Many need more. It can be counterproductive to take less than is needed. Doing so doesn't actually achieve anything, the side-effects tend to be the same if you take a sub therapeutic dose as when taking an effective one.

Nor does taking more than is needed do any harm provided the dose is within the safe range. For example, antidepressants have no affect on those without an anxiety or depressive disorder apart from the side-effects. A study in rats is a good illustration of this (Zangen A, 1997 - Abstract | Full text-PDF). Rats genetically predisposed to depression have up to 8 times more serotonin in areas of the brain associated with depression than in unaffected controls. Treatment with antidepressants reduces their serotonin levels to normal amounts, but has no effect on the levels of the controls.

For more on this and the other brain changes seen in the various anxiety disorders see: CNS Image Bank:
Anxiety - Anxiety Disorders

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 08:58:53 PM »
so 20 mg of celexa should not cause any more side effects than 10 mg? what is the most you can take safely ? I just want to take what works for me at the lowest dose. I thought the higher the dosage the worse the sideffects.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 09:32:01 PM »
so 20 mg of celexa should not cause any more side effects than 10 mg?

No. You might get some additional/or more severe side-effects for a week or two when increasing the dose, but once stabilized at the higher amount the side-effects shouldn't be any worse than at 10mg, and this is usually the case across the dose range.

what is the most you can take safely ?

The recommended maximum is 40mg, but there are some taking even higher doses.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline darling787

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 10:33:40 PM »
Everyone's body is different...I don't think you'll build a dependence using Klonopin for such a short amount of time but as someone who became physically dependent I would urge you not to continue taking it past the 3 week mark. I also would suggest you only take it if you feel you absolutely need it ( Horrid panic attack, feeling hyper, etc.). Some people can start and stop benzos with no problems..just listen to your body. But remember I am not a doctor. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 01:06:34 AM »
Just an update, I am almost on 6 weeks of 10mg celexa and while I have noticed that I can go out now without worrying about an endless number of things and feeling like I am gonna pass out, I am still having these very off days about 3-4 times a week of just total spaciness and feeling really depressed and uncomfortable. It is driving me insane and also affecting my sleep. I am thinking about trying a different drug entirely :( because I don't know if this will ever go away and it's so odd that some days I don't feel like this but other days I do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 01:28:55 AM »
also I should add, it's so strange that while I have this uneasy feeling it doesn't stop me from going out. It feels like my agoraphobia is mostly gone, but I have traded it for this, ughhhh :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 09:00:49 AM »
I am thinking about trying a different drug entirely :( because I don't know if this will ever go away and it's so odd that some days I don't feel like this but other days I do.

10mg is usually a sub therapeutic dose. Most need to take at least 20mg/day to get a good result and quite a few require 30-40mg.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: