Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Increased Anxiety with onset of period??  (Read 616 times)

Offline Bromrey

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Increased Anxiety with onset of period??
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »
So, I think I have noticed that my anxiety goes thru the roof a few days before my period!  I start to become panicked almost.  I get way ramped up and start cleaning everything in site and snapping at people and my already obsessive thoughts completely take off  >:(!  Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any particular dietary supplement that has helped calm/relax you in this pre-period mania??   :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share
I can't see the forest through the trees, except the trees are people...
Sloane Crosley

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Increased Anxiety with onset of period??
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 03:13:31 PM »
Apart from PMS mood superswings and OCD take offs, I also get headaches, cramps and that bitter ol' feeling that my head is about to explode  ;*)...
Essential oils help me quite a bit. In warm evening baths. Sniffing them from a tissue... Or putting them in a diffuser.
Best oils for me (as far as PMS goes) are clary sage and lavender, possibly geranium or melissa.

:action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Offline Bromrey

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  I'll give the oils a shot!  I can alleviate my physical symptoms, but I have a harder time with the psychological ones!!
Bookmark and Share
I can't see the forest through the trees, except the trees are people...
Sloane Crosley

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 03:28:57 AM »
You're welcome! Please tell if it helps you :winking0008:..
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Offline HelplessInOk

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »
I have noticed this too, about a week before I have the worst episodes ever, the ones that feel like a hear attack.   Then when I start my period it is like I wake up normal again, and I get about 4 days of relief, just calm and normal.  Then once it is over I start back slowly into the episodes again.   I still think I have Perimenopause, even through my OBGYN said she didn't think I should have that bad symptions when I am on the pill.   But I am not sure I am buying it.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline BellaDee

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:29:39 AM »
I definitely get more anxiety about a week before my period, and until it's about over.  I'm wondering if hormones have anything to do with it?  I also get the dizzy spells and shortness of breath more often just before too...as well as depersonalization spells.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayak7

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:01:09 AM »
i definitely get very emotional, irritable, indecisive, unfocused and/or anxious during the onset of my period, particularly if other stressors are happening at the same time.  I sometimes lash out at those closest to me, and I have a harder time separating my thoughts from reality.  Unfortunately I seem to take it out on my boyfriend at the time.  I don't like it, and I think the best thing for me to do when it happens is spend more of my time alone and focus on staying calm.  And exercise helps a lot too.  I am going to ask my gynecologist if there are any vitamin supplements i can take to lessen the mood swings.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline JennyM23

Okay
  • I'm sorry my Dear, you have Borderline Personality
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 06:21:12 AM »
Oh my gosh, I do the exact same thing! I just try to remind myself to try and stay relaxed, and that it will get better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hormonal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »
Yes ladies it happens and it sucks....it's the reason I registered here, to know if some were feeling the same way I did.  I can say that the anxiety starts at ovulation and ends when I get my period.  Then I have 7 good days and then I get anxious a bit and then around day 14 it starts again.  The last month I was more irritable than anxious.  Two months before that I was very anxious, had intrusive thoughts, did not sleep well at all.  I think I am perimenopausal too but no doctor can confirm it.  I am returning to a women's clinic at the end of August to see what can be done.  I am presently on Effexor 150mg, doing meditation morning and night (it helps a lot) and taking a kundalini yoga class once a week.  In between I try to do different exercises.  I think that when I don't ovulate my month is less intense emotionnally but sometimes you feel yourself changing and you have to retain all the negativity that is going on in your head otherwise you wont have anymore friends.

ciao
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »
More anxiety after ovulation until my period. I get a bad headache all day the day before I start, it's very precise, and nothing takes it away. I awake at ***** 2:30am several nights before as well. I take .5mg klonopin every night, doesn't seem to do much for hormonal stuff though. I tried Zoloft or Prozac aftr ovulation, didn't help. Im 49, just waiting for the endgame!
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline rayandrae

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 08:53:46 AM »
Hey,

there are def's cycles for me. When I was in my 30's and was first diagnosed, I would become convinced I had a brain tumour (that they were missing) on the 4th or 5th day of my period. I mean, it was a definite pattern that I was fortunate to discover. I have found a lot of vit D, and making sure that I get enough oils, even a tablespoon of olive oil, can sometimes offset symptoms. I still get the migraine and hyper-sensitive nature up to 72 hours before.

We are women ... we are deeply tied to our hormonal state. Good for you to realize though, because it can take off some stress when you realize what is occurring. Plus it is a reminder to be good to yourself. In ancient times, women used to be able to be separate and go quiet and inward. We don't get a recognition of our bodies now, and what it is going through. Practice self care.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dog

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 01:36:33 PM »
It's funny because thee reason I'm on here today is period anxiety haha. I am so grateful for you starting this topic, I didn't know if it was a thing or not! Even reading the posts on this thread is calming me down somewhat,

I hope it passes soon for you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hormonal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »
Do any of you feel down after your period?
Bookmark and Share

Offline afj0823

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
So I'm bringing this topic up bc it is happening to me now, I get dizzy, and bloated, and panic.

What do y'all do during this time? I'm on BC right now. But anything else work?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hormonal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 03:27:38 PM »
The last two months have been really bad anxiety wise three days before my menstruation.  I feel shaky inside, my stress is increased by 10 times what it should be, I doubt myself, I question my job, I have intrusive thoughts.  I have decided to go see an hypnotist.   I want to reduce my anxiety level and those intrusive thoughts that are causing my anxieties.

Basically when feeling like this, I will meditate more, read calming stuff, try to stay in the present moment, do something creative, eat lighter foods,...but it's not a walk in the park.  A lot of energy is wasted just being in your head and trying not to analyse every thoughts and emotions.  It's baby steps, and those baby steps get you better longer after a while.  You will see it's true....my shrink told me that on my first session and it stayed with me...it takes time and hardwork...I can say that I work at it everyday in some way!

Take care
So
Bookmark and Share

Tags: