Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Lymphoma fears? Lets do a poll  (Read 1063 times)

Offline tomjohn

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lymphoma fears? Lets do a poll
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:23:09 PM »
Hi guys,

So I've seen so many (including myself) who are scared shitless of having lymphoma.
I thought it would be a good idea to get one thread going where we told our symptoms and our stories so people can compare and maybe learn something.

Ill start:

Symptoms:

Do you have any swollen lymph nodes? If yes:
- How many?: Five so far.
- Where are they located?: Three in groin (Two has been there for a long time) One on each side of my neck.
- How big are they?: I'd say the biggest one is around 2x1cm the rest are 1,5x1 - 1x1.
- How long have the nodes been swollen?:
Ive been able to feel two of the three in my groin for a couple of years I think, the last one is small and has been there around two months.
The ones in my neck has been there for around three months now.

Are the nodes the following:
- Hard?: No
- Soft?: Sort of
- Rubbery?: Yes
- Moveable?: Yes
- Tender or painless?: Painless

Do you have night sweats?
No

Do you have fever?
No

Do you have chills?
No

Do you lose weight?
No actually gained a little over the last two months

Do you have abdominal pain?
I did have some discomfort under my left ribs, but that seems to have stopped.

Do you have neck pain?
On and off. Feels like its the muscles, but I have of course thought of it being related to the lymph nodes.

Do you have itchiness?
Only in my neck at the moment.

What other symptoms than the ones above do you have?:
Occasionally running nose and mucus in my throat(By the cords)

Have you seen a doctor? If yes, what kind of testing have you had?
I have seen my doctor like four times over the last three months. He has felt the nodes every time. I also had a CBC done, which came back normal.

Were the doctors worried? What did they tell you about your situation and/or the tests you had done?
My doctor did NOT seem worried at all, in fact he seemed like any further testing would just be a waste of time.
He just told me that it was not cancer and that my nodes aren't even that big and felt benign.

Your story from when the lymphoma fear started and until now.
Ill make this short.
Back in the end of April this year I felt the node on the left side of my neck, I actually got scared right there. But I wanted to see if it went away. It didn't. In the beginning of may I started getting this runny nose and I felt the node on the right side of my neck getting bigger.
I felt around my groin area and felt the two nodes I had been able to feel for a long time, they maybe seemed a bit harder, but that might just be my imagination.
Around the end of may I started getting clear mucus in my throat and I developed this cough because of that. I also noticed another small mode in my groin close to the one in my right side.
As stated earlier, I have been to the doctor like four times and he isn't worried, but I still am.

Anything to add?
No

So here it is guys, I hope we can get some stories down and learn from eachother!

Bookmark and Share
Got to stay positive

Offline Baldrick

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lymphoma fears? Lets do a poll
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:07 PM »
Good idea!
I'll just copy your questions and put in my answers

- How many?: Only counting the ones that are easily felt I'd say 7. Although one has gone down quite a bit but I'll count that one since it used to be quite big. Overall I'd say I'd had around 15 swollen nodes :(
- Where are they located?: Again, focusing on the bigger ones. Two in groin (each side). Then one in right armpit and three left armpit. Smaller ones can be felt in groin and upper thigh. Occasionally I find one that's in my neck, but it's not there now.
- How big are they?: Wasn't told the definite numbers from an ultra sound. I'd say the biggest, the one in my right armpit, is about 2cm on the short axis. My nodes haven't been measured on the long axis. Others are 1cm and under.
- How long have the nodes been swollen?: SIX YEARS! Yes, I said SIX YEARS!

- Hard?: Sort of
- Rubbery?: Not sure actually :/
- Moveable?: Yes, somewhat.
- Tender or painless?: Painless, although some have been painful at some point.

No - although I have over these six years woken up three or four times sweaty, on two occasions drenched. But that is apparently not enough to be lymphoma related.

Do you have fever?
No

Do you have chills?
Eh rarely........wait....is that a symptom?

Do you lose weight?
No not really...I rock up and down actually. Gained a bit over the past few weeks.

No nothing that hasn't cleared up the next day

Do you have neck pain?
Eh...sure. On and off...but it's muscle related.

Do you have itchiness?
Yes, I sometimes get it on my feet. Which sometimes worries me because that is lymphoma symptoms but it stops after I put some ointment on it.

Runny nose is the most consistent, I guess. I did have some fairly nasty pains in my legs and other extremities, really thought something sinister was in my bones. That is mostly gone now though.

Oh I've seen plenty of doctors, including a hematologist several times. I've had blood tests and ultrasounds and of course the lymph node exams. Nothing..........

Were the doctors worried? What did they tell you about your situation and/or the tests you had done?
Nope! No one has been worried or pushed for any tests. Back in 2007 I had several tests done and it was concluded I had suffered from some viral infection.

Oh blimey! You could just look up my endless posts about the subject  :laugh3:
But OK I'll give it a go

So like I said I've had swollen lymph nodes for six years. I didn't actually worry about from 2007 til about November 2011 when I noticed I was feeling tired in the middle of the day. I don't know...something just clicked in my head. Then I found new swellings in early December that year. That kinda started everything.

Can't really be bothered to go into every detail again. Sorry lol

Anything to add?
No
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brooke2288

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:43:25 PM »
Good idea!
I'll just copy your questions and put in my answers

Do you have any swollen lymph nodes? yup, many
 If - Where are they located?: neck, collar bone..
- How big are they?: 1 to 2 centimeters

- How long have the nodes been swollen?:not sure because i'm a recent hypochondriac

- Hard?: no
- Rubbery?: yes
- Moveable?: Yes, somewhat.
- Tender or painless?: Painless, although some have been painful at some point.

Do you have night sweats-no

Do you have fever?
No

Do you have chills?
no

Do you lose weight?
No not really...I rock up and down actually. Gained a bit over the past few weeks.

No nothing that hasn't cleared up the next day

Do you have neck pain?
no

Do you have itchiness?
no

What other symptoms than the ones above do you have?:none

yes, chest xray, cbc

Oh blimey! You could just look up my endless posts about the subject  :laugh3:
But OK I'll give it a go

So like I said I've had swollen lymph nodes for six years. I didn't actually worry about from 2007 til about November 2011 when I noticed I was feeling tired in the middle of the day. I don't know...something just clicked in my head. Then I found new swellings in early December that year. That kinda started everything.

Can't really be bothered to go into every detail again. Sorry lol

Anything to add?
No
Bookmark and Share

Offline qcd

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 06:37:16 AM »
- How many?:
One
- Where are they located?: Submental region, just below chin and behind the mandible
- How big are they?: I haven't had any imaging studies but my estimate is ~1cm
- How long have the nodes been swollen?: Several days

- Hard?: Not really
- Soft?: Not really
- Rubbery?: Kind of, not sure
- Moveable?: No
- Tender or painless?: Painless unless poked and prodded, then tender

If I sleep without the A/C on my head sweats sometimes.  No drenching body sweats, just my head.

Do you have fever?
No

Do you have chills?
No

Do you lose weight?
No

No

Do you have neck pain?
No

Do you have itchiness?
Lately my forearms have been getting itchy.  I believe this is from "prickly heat" when I sweat or an allergic reaction since there are also small bumps on my arms, almost like a rash, that disappear with the itchiness after a day or so.

Slightly scratchy throat.

No.

n/a

Started a few days ago with the discovery of an enlarged node under my chin.  I had an infected sore on my upper lip that might explain it but I worry nevertheless.
Bookmark and Share
I am not a doctor.  Nothing I say is to be construed as medical advice.  If you feel you are sick you should seek out appropriate medical care.

Offline tomjohn

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:05:21 PM »
Its great to see some answers to this.
I hope we can get more who fear this on.
Bookmark and Share
Got to stay positive

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 07:53:26 PM »
Symptoms:

- How many?: One, maybe two
- Where are they located?: Back of neck/head, the one that seemed to vanish is/was in my underarm
- How big are they?: 3 cm-ish, seems to be growing/turning from long to round, but hard to tell
- How long have the nodes been swollen?: Noticed a few months ago

- Hard?: Yes
- Soft?: No
- Rubbery?: Can't tell
- Moveable?: No
- Tender or painless?: Painless but sometimes itchy

Yes

Do you have fever?
Not sure, hot flashes

Do you have chills?
Occasionally

Do you lose weight?
No

Yes

Do you have neck pain?
No more than usual

Do you have itchiness?
Occasionally in hands and feet

Extreme fatigue

Yes, extensive blood testing to check for infections, autoimmune issues, thyroid issues, etc, fine needle thyroid biopsy.  Says node is too small to worry about.

Doctor seems unconcerned. 

Developed B symptoms around the time I noticed a large thyroid nodule that an FNA biopsy later proved benign.  Noticed enlarged node later on.  Had it checked twice. 

Anything to add?
Nope
Bookmark and Share

Offline tomjohn

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:03:53 PM »
Thought I would bump this. Seemed there has been a few more new members with the common lymphoma fear.
Read through this guys, and post yourself.
Bookmark and Share
Got to stay positive

Offline matthewc256

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 09:59:21 PM »
What's with the neck pain question? I haven't seen that as a symptom in all of my self diagnosing with Dr Google ;*)
Bookmark and Share

Offline adam4little

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 10:17:29 PM »
- How many?: 9 or 10.
- Where are they located?: Six or so under bottom jaw (cant feel them, they came up on ultrasound) one floater mid neck. Two or three small groin ones
- How big are they?: Small no larger than 1 cm
- How long have the nodes been swollen?:
The jaw ones for 10 years, the groin ones about the same. One in neck for three years. Had one in my armpit for two years that just went away.

No

Do you have fever?
No

Do you have chills?
No

Do you lose weight?
Nah

Sometimes but this is IBS related stuff Im sure

Do you have neck pain?
Sometimes. Who doesn't?

Do you have itchiness?
Again, who doesn't at times?

Poop issues mostly. Thats my big obsession

ENT. Ultrasound and physical exam. CBC as well.

Doc said there was no way he could say it WASNT lymphoma but that he doubted that and to watch them see if they got bigger.

Worried about colon cancer--switched to lymphoma when I developed night sweats for a couple weeks. Went on for six months or so and then back to CC

Anything to add?
Read the stats. Something like .02 percent of swollen glands in patients under 45 are cancerous.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RussulaEmetica

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 01:08:45 AM »
Greetings all! I'm bumping this semi-old thread because I'm currently having lymphoma HA. I stumbled on this post while searching the forum, and felt that it might help me to get my symptoms listed and looked at by others with any Lymphoma-related worries

Symptoms:

Do you have any swollen lymph nodes? Yes
If yes:
- How many?: 2-6
- Where are they located?: Under jaw, on side of neck, may have one on my back but doc was unsure.
- How big are they?: Estimating 1.5cm and smaller
- How long have the nodes been swollen?: Noticed 2 months ago
- Hard?: Yes
- Rubbery?: Not sure what rubbery may constitute
- Moveable?: Yes, most seem to be. The two on either side under my jaw seem the most fixed, but do seem to move a bit.
- Tender or painless?: Painless but sometimes itchy

I have. They seem to be infrequent and only once or twice very noticeable (shirt/sweater was damp)

Do you have fever?
99-100 degree almost an hour or two after eating it seems (1-2 months)

Do you have chills?
If I'm feeling feverish, sometimes

Do you lose weight?
Lost 10lbs from Nov - Dec w/o trying. I have been logging my diet on a weight loss app since I noticed and it appears like my calorie count has been pretty low even for wanting to lose weight for the past year or two.

Yes. IBS-like. Also, some pain below rib cage that comes and goes. Doctor doesn't seem to think it's my spleen.

Do you have neck pain?
Yes. Comes and goes, but usually focuses near the two lymph nodes in the middle of my neck (although the nodes themselves don't seem to be painful)

Do you have itchiness?
Very light itching on arms, thighs, shoulders, and sides of stomach. Usually relieved by moisturizer.

Feeling like there's cotton in my head or that I stayed up all night. Felt this for ~2mo

Yup! Got a CBC that showed me as being right in the middle normal on everything. Also had thyroid levels checked. Checked for hepatitis. Both seemed fine. Only abnormality was my Vit-D levels, which were at 12 (normal range is 20-50, and most doctors apparently like it above 30), for which I've been taking Vit-D supplements for 2 weeks.

My GP here in the PNW seems pretty sure that nothing is wrong. He is very calming, but every time I start to feel feverish (which is every day) and wake up feeling cloudy-headed, it makes me uneasy.

Had a bout with diarrhea that lasted for about a week. I had to travel to Arizona near the end of that and also developed the cloudy headedness. Went to a walk-in clinic where they said the cloudy head was due to fluid behind my eardrums and said I should take sudafed for that. Also said I had gastrointestinal upset and rx'd some anti-nausea/diarrhea drugs (which helped). A few days later I began to develop the feverish feeling and was waking up very chilly at night. This is when I began reading about Lymphoma and began worrying. Went to clinic again, but they just said nothing was wrong. A few days later had testicular pain, and went a third time. This time diagnosed with epididymitis and was rx'd an antibiotic (which helped the pain). Since then I have returned to the PNW, traveled to FL, and back. During that time I've seen my GP 3 times (all scheduled), Went to the ER 2 (one worried about DVT after flying the other due to pain in my lower left rib area), and my old GP in FL.

Anything to add?
I also worry about Lyme Disease as I have been bitten by a number of ticks while doing outdoors activities in the Southeast.
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 08:39:33 AM »

Symptoms:

- How many?: One
- Where are they located?: Base of right neck
- How big are they?: Pea sized
- How long have the nodes been swollen?: one year

No

Do you have fever?
No

Do you have chills?
No

Do you lose weight?
No

No

Do you have neck pain?
No

Do you have itchiness?
No

What other symptoms than the ones above do you
None

Yes. No tests.

He said if it got bigger continuously to get it biopsied

I always had a huge fear of colon cancer. I had a precancerous polyp removed. I got sick and hade a cold and noticed this lymph node. I then heard about a young guy in our community who had lymphoma.

Anything to add?
No

Bookmark and Share

Offline skywizzard

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 10:37:03 AM »
- How many?: 2
- Where are they located?: each side of neck, where the neck meets the jaw
- How big are they?: not larger than 0.5cm
- How long have the nodes been swollen?: 2-3 months

- Soft?: Yes
- Rubbery?: Don't know
- Tender or painless?: Painless unless poked at, especially the one on the right

No

Do you have fever?
No

Do you have chills?
No

No

Do you have neck pain?
No, though i do rarely get some painful sensation but i strongly believe its anxiety related

Do you have itchiness?
Sporadically in the chest area, yes

What other symptoms than the ones above do you have?
Asymmetric tonsils

I've seen my GP who wasn't overly concerned, had 2 CBC's, first of which had slightly elevated ESR and neutrophiles due to the tonsils infection i had, the CBC was taken at the end of infection, the second CBC was completely normal. I've seen 3 ENT's about the lymph nodes + the swollen tonsils. No further testing.

Not at all, i had to bypass the GP by going to the ER to get a referral to a specialist. Since then i've seen 3 ENT's, all reassured me that they were 100% certain i do not have lymphoma. They didn't deem any further testing necessary.

Started towards the end october/beginning november, i had a pretty bad case of tonsillitis however the right side was clearly more affected than the left. The right tonsil was much bigger, pus draining off of it whereas the left stayed the normal size and only had a few white spots on it. What essentially drives me nuts is the slight discomfort/pain i have when swallowing even now, 3 months after the infection, on one hand it could be due to anxiety/frequent swallowing or perhaps that side of throat is still slightly sensitive however i am obviously afraid of the worse, the ENT's are not overly concerned about the pain/discomfort. In addition i do not like that the lymph nodes did not go down completely, however i was reassured that they are nothing to worry about as they are really quite small, one of the ENT's indicated that they might stay that way for the rest of my life.

Anything to add?
No
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 10:58:52 AM »
- How many?: One that's more obvious.
- Where are they located?: At the base of the neck, on the side
- How big are they?:It's 8-10mm
- How long have the nodes been swollen?: noticed it 2 months ago and it stayed the same

- Hard?: Firm but not rock hard
- Moveable?: A bit

I've started to, after I found this node and went crazy with lymphoma fears. Now I get them more and more often but they are not drenching and not accompanied by a fever. Technically, they're not TRUE night sweats.

Do you have fever?
No

Do you have chills?
No

Do you lose weight?
I did lose 4 lbs over the beginning of autumn when I was also very stressed out back then... I gained 5-6 lbs in December. So I would say NO.

No

Do you have neck pain?
No

Do you have itchiness?
No.

An annoying discomfort in my chest on the right side, but it did fade away when I stopped worrying about it so much.

I have, I  had 2 ultrasounds on that node on my neck and both doctors said it was benign; to monitor it for changes but not a concern.

My doctors were not worried, they completely dismissed my fears. Also they think my night sweating is related to my anxiety for sure. They say a lymphoma night sweat is from fever during the night, but I took my temperature several times during the night and don't have any fever even when I sweat. So it's pretty much clear it's an anxiety thing, my doctors say. I still worry though, they're distressing!

In short, after a blood typing test where I came out as blood type B, I realized that given that both my parents are type O, I cannot possibly have B. I started to think that  maybe my blood type changed and that a lymphoma changed my blood type (sometimes advanced lymphoma apparently can mess a blood type reading). However, it's highly unlikely, I couldn't find any registered case of it changing blood from O to B (more often from A, B or AB to O if at all) - and besides, if it were advanced enough, it SHOULD change other stuff in my CBC, like my lymphocytes, or my hemoglobin RIGHT? Well, no matter, I am CONVINCED that I have it.

A week after this thing I noticed that node on my neck (which by all signs is benign!) and from then on a MYRIAD of symptoms from chest pain to night sweats followed to prove me that I have it. :(

Anything to add?
Yes... I think it's in my mind. I'm a LYMPHOMANIAC lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LadyCalamari

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »
Symptoms:

- How many?: Just one.
- Where are they located?:Right side of neck.
- How big are they?:Changes, but maybe the size of an almond
- How long have the nodes been swollen?:No clue, noticed a month ago but could be longer.

- Hard?:Yes
- Rubbery?: I don't know, not really...
- Moveable?: Depends, sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't

No

Do you have fever?
No

Do you have chills?
No

Do you lose weight?
Did lose some weight recently because I was getting so anxious I couldn't actually eat :(, but have put it back on since.

Yes, quite often in my stomach. Also sometimes my ribs ache.

Do you have neck pain?
Yes, sometimes the area where my lymph node is aches.

Do you have itchiness?
No

Get quite a lot of phlegm in throat, headaches.
Also can get pains in hands and pelvis when stressed.

The worst period was when I saw the doctor 3 times in December, haven't been since though. I had a blood test and it came back normal.

Not at all, told me to come back in the new year if my node was still swollen (it is) but I feel like I'll be a nuisance if I do.
They think I'm fine apart from the health anxiety and referred me to therapy. I was initially diagnosed as mildly depressed, which I feel is not true at all.

In October I managed to convince myself I was having a heart attack and had a huge panic attack because of it. The next day I fell ill and couldn't eat at all or just have very small portions for about a week or so. I recovered and was doing fine until it happened again about a month later, and then again in December (and also got a pretty bad cold around the same time!). At this point I was convinced something was seriously wrong with me so I was constantly googling my symptoms, trying to put a label on it. I considered cancer and taking my age and health into account I would have either lymphoma or leukaemia. I checked the symptoms of leukaemia and dismissed it, but after reading about lymphoma and checking my lymph node I was convinced I had it. I went through a long stage of just having constantly obsessive thoughts about having cancer, it was really awful and I hope I never get that bad again.

Anything to add?
That's about it, really!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: