Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Worried I might get vCJD(English cutlery)  (Read 1086 times)

Offline japheree

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried I might get vCJD(English cutlery)
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 04:20:55 AM »
I'm starting to get a little bit better. But the possible answer to my next question will put much of my fear to rest. How long do prions stay before degrading? I heard that they stay in soil for at least 3 years, but the knives must be at least 20 though.

I think to get a grasp on that I would need to do a lot lot more research as I am by no means an expert. The references there are seem to cite wide variations in their longevity.

All I can really say is that I ate from English cutlery that is actually situated in England just last night and I am not worried at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HowardStern69

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 09:50:23 PM »
Ehh I'm not as worried about it getting in my stomach...I'm more worried about it getting in through my eyes as I wear contacts. I have washed my fingers with bleach before I put on or take them off for the past few days. But I'll even have to stop that as I will be on vacation sometime soon :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline HowardStern69

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 03:06:25 AM »
Well I have been looking further into the prion thing and have some good news! :D. Apparently in most surfaces, prions are able to live "up to a year or longer." I found 3 years if its in soil, but in other conditions 1(or a little more) year. Considering the age of the knives(decades) I'm beginning to really gain confidence that I will be ok.

Funny cuz they say googling's the worst thing a hypochondriac can do. In this case googling is actually helping me :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:58:23 AM »
Glad you have found some relief! Now if I were you I would go nowhere near Google again until this all blows over. In my experience if you find the good reassuring news on there you are lucky and should leave it there (and btw this is not to invalidate your research...I am sure you are correct).

BTW have you also considered if there items are that old they would never have even been in the UK during the outbreak. They could be much older than 80s :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MrMoleHill

Okay
  • I look, therefore I find.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 10:34:55 AM »
Two things left, in all of planet Earth that I have not yet Googled:  "vCJD" and "prions".  I have never even heard of these terms. I'm so disappointed in myself.
Bookmark and Share
We are all walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Offline HowardStern69

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 09:40:42 PM »
I have been eating barely anything in a day while avoiding touching foods with my fingers and today I have gotten myself over it:) I just thought I would let you guys know...  It feels so good to eat my butt off again!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 03:54:57 AM »
Really glad you are feeling better!

The relief that comes when you have got over a scare is one of the few positive things that come from HA. The important thing to do now is to try and take steps to make sure you deal with the root cause of the HA.

:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline HowardStern69

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 09:52:48 PM »
Gotta bump this. Sorry  :P
I've gotten somewhat better outside of my prion-phobia, but it hasn't ever gone away  :( however, I thought of how prions "stick" to steel. The knives are still there and I was wondering if the prions stick to the knife so hard that touching the knife wouldn't be a problem. Am I correct in this hypothesis?
Also, are there any experts about prions on the internet I could contact to ask questions, they could probably give me some more helpful information.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HowardStern69

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »
Hey I'm back with a very important update. So I've decided to put on a pair of gloves and actually look in the box again. In there was a small folded paper that said it was actually from Farmingdale, LI New York. So there's practically no chance it originated In England during its mad cow outbreak! Now I can finally toss this phobia away, for good!!!  :party0006:
Bookmark and Share