Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Very Very Scared About MS or other MND's ... HELP  (Read 992 times)

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Very Very Scared About MS or other MND's ... HELP
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
Yes.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 07:46:41 PM »
Shawn, any correlation between als and muscular dystrophy? Had a uncle with a rare form of muscular dystrophy and he passed away around 8-12 years old. Medical news today . com lumps those two together. Kind of how HIV/AIDS is lumped together. Coincidence? Weird?
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »
HIV and AIDS are lumped together because one is a result of the other.

Nolan, you're fine. There is no known relationship whatsoever. There isn't even an established relationship between BFS and ALS and they both cause a few of the same symptoms. Although TwitchyDoc protests and thinks there is. I think he's foolish and presumptuous. Especially as BFS exists as an umbrella term (implying multifarious reasons) for twitching without pathology.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 09:00:29 PM »
Shawn, any correlation between als and muscular dystrophy? Had a uncle with a rare form of muscular dystrophy and he passed away around 8-12 years old. Medical news today . com lumps those two together. Kind of how HIV/AIDS is lumped together. Coincidence? Weird?

Nope.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »
HIV and AIDS are lumped together because one is a result of the other.

Nolan, you're fine. There is no known relationship whatsoever. There isn't even an established relationship between BFS and ALS and they both cause a few of the same symptoms. Although TwitchyDoc protests and thinks there is. I think he's foolish and presumptuous. Especially as BFS exists as an umbrella term (implying multifarious reasons) for twitching without pathology.

I'm not sure doc thinks there is a correlation.  But, I believe he thinks that not every case of twitching is BFS and might indicate something more sinister.  But, you have to understand he deals with his own anxiety and it comes out in some of his posts.  He also read much outdated neurological texts at least in the realm of BFS which is a relatively newly categorized syndrome.  My partner who is a 60 year old neurologist now addictionologist hadn't even heard of it.  His training is dated.  There have actually been studies done on the correlation between BFS and A** and there was none noted.  They are two separate distinct processes.  There isn't much effort to study a benign process.  No money to be made.
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 10:35:07 PM »
I agree with everything everyone has said above in response to this. Shawn has hit the nail on the head with regards to lesions and MS. If your symptoms were being caused by MS, one non-specific bright spot on a contrast MRI would not signal MS. Active lesions (meaning ones that cause current symptoms) light up, but there will also be evidence of past disease activity most of the time (which is part of the criteria to make an MS diagnosis). At any rate, if MS were causing your current symptoms or recent ones in the past there would be evidence for that on one of the MRIs. I know it's hard to believe but anxiety can and will cause these symptoms - that's why MS is so "popular" with hypos. There are a lot of us on here, but very few actually have MS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 10:53:16 PM »
Do any of us? Statistically, it's easily possible not a single person on this website has MS. I'm not aware of any. Do you know of anyone, out of curiosity?
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 11:02:12 PM »
I do. I know of a few others but they aren't around much anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 12:04:37 AM »
What's up with twitching happening right after stretching?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »
What's up with twitching happening right after stretching?

I can make myself twitch by contracting a muscle especially after a work out.  It will catch, slight cramp then twitch.  No one fully understands why this happens but my generic answer is hyperexcitable nervous system.  While I believe it's much more complicated than that it doesn't indicate anything more sinister.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »
Very interesting. Both arms fired for the same time after stretching them ahhaha
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 08:57:13 PM »
I remember my first **S panic 17 years ago.  I had been extremely athletic (running 3 miles daily, playing tennis on weekends). One day I was on the treadmill about 1/2 mile into a run and my legs felt like jelly. I thought I was coming down with something so I took a few days off.  In rapid succession - BOOM - twitching everywhere (even the bottoms of my feet) weakness and shooting pains in my arms (suddenly my arms would tremble when blow-drying my hair), PERCEIVED muscle weakness in legs. Back then, no one knew about benign fasciculation syndrome and I didn't own a computer, so I went to the library and looked up fasciculations, then proceeded to have a full blown panic attack between the stacks.  I've been subsequently diagnosed with Fibro (took them 7 years), but I feel it's a garbage diagnosis, and the only finding was "acute EBV infection". I've been under tons of stress lately and once again have the following symptoms:
- feelings of weakness in arms and legs
- muscle twitches in back, legs, bottoms of feet, abdomen and buttocks
- myclonic jerk while lying in bed last night
- bottom of feet burn when I first get up in the morning
- morning spasticity and brain fog
- extreme tension / knots between shoulder blades and in trapedzoids
- dull headaches / ocular migraines (rarely)
- difficulty emptying bladder
- GERD / swallowing problems on occasion
Of course I've been self-testing like a lunatic (running up and down stairs, finger tapping, walking around on my tip-toes, walking on my heels, etc.etc.etc.)  In all honesty, I cannot say that I have TRUE weakness, but non-stop anxiety will certainly make a person FEEL weak / shaky / tremulous, etc. because it drains the adrenals.   I pray we all find some peace... and Ativan helps a GREAT deal.
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 09:14:19 PM »
Do you feel as if your anxiety's under control now, Nyt?
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 12:18:09 AM »
Its better than it was, but I still have it with longer periods of sanity between HA episodes.  I know iit's ridiculous, but the fascs and the "weak feelings" in my legs have started freaking me out again (just the last week or so), hence the ativan.  Fibromyalgia is a pain in the butt because it causes so many weird, diffuse symptoms, so I have to try to take symptoms with a grain of salt.  BTW, were you the person who posted the article about progress being made with **s patients? That's ssuch a positive thing to read...I'll be honest and confess that Im again obsessing over this and would love to read something hopeful about a possible treatment (if it's not too much trouble and you know anything about it).  Have a great evening and be blessed!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7