Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Very Very Scared About MS or other MND's ... HELP  (Read 1418 times)

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
Re: Very Very Scared About MS or other MND's ... HELP
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »
Cass, I've had every symptom you've listed, just not all at once. I've been told I have conversion disorder. After a year and a half of these symptoms, if it were anything horrible, you'd have very real deficits. Which you do not. If you expect this to get any better, you must let go of the fears attached to it. With the very slow passage of my ALS fear even my twitching is down remarkably. I still have periods when my legs flip out on me, but I'm pretty confident that the twitching will stop eventually. Believe you're healthy and you'll quickly notice becoming healthy.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline concernedcass

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »
Just seen the rest of your posts where you had a normal MRI and neuro exam.  While nothing is 100% this puts you in that 99.9% category that this isn't a neurological condition.  This is great news!  Time to move on and work on this anxiety, ok?

Shawn,
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I have had 3 mris actually. Brain, Cspine and about a month ago I had another brain MRI which showed no changes since the first one I had 2 yrs ago. My dr and neuro said "normal" but there was one "unremarkable" non specific spot. They were not concerned and said this one spot is not causing my symptoms. What do you know about "lesions" ? I can't seem to put it out of my mind that its there and will get worse or something. I have been trying to let it go and convince myself that it is all anxiety but am having a hard time. I have been having panic attacks more frequently and have to talk myself out of going to the hospital. It eventually passes. But in between panic attacks.. I still feel weakness on my right side. Still have what I think is globus..throat feels right all the time and sometimes I have a hard time swallowing, sometimes feels like good is getting stuck because it's tight.

I have been trying to deal with anxiety without medication. Exercise, eating right, Pilates..deep breathing. Stretching. I feel if the symptoms were gone, anxiety would be gone as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline concernedcass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »
Cass, I've had every symptom you've listed, just not all at once. I've been told I have conversion disorder. After a year and a half of these symptoms, if it were anything horrible, you'd have very real deficits. Which you do not. If you expect this to get any better, you must let go of the fears attached to it. With the very slow passage of my ALS fear even my twitching is down remarkably. I still have periods when my legs flip out on me, but I'm pretty confident that the twitching will stop eventually. Believe you're healthy and you'll quickly notice becoming healthy.

Thanks so much for answering.
I know that I have anxiety, but sometimes feel like anxiety is being caused by an illness. It helps when you said if it were something really bad, I would have some major deficits by now, which I do not. But with MS, I thought it was characteristic of symptoms to come and go...while mine don't ever really all go away. Sometimes they get better, buy not completely gone.
Do you just suffer with twitching? Or do you have other symptoms?

Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 38
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
Just seen the rest of your posts where you had a normal MRI and neuro exam.  While nothing is 100% this puts you in that 99.9% category that this isn't a neurological condition.  This is great news!  Time to move on and work on this anxiety, ok?

Shawn,
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I have had 3 mris actually. Brain, Cspine and about a month ago I had another brain MRI which showed no changes since the first one I had 2 yrs ago. My dr and neuro said "normal" but there was one "unremarkable" non specific spot. They were not concerned and said this one spot is not causing my symptoms. What do you know about "lesions" ? I can't seem to put it out of my mind that its there and will get worse or something. I have been trying to let it go and convince myself that it is all anxiety but am having a hard time. I have been having panic attacks more frequently and have to talk myself out of going to the hospital. It eventually passes. But in between panic attacks.. I still feel weakness on my right side. Still have what I think is globus..throat feels right all the time and sometimes I have a hard time swallowing, sometimes feels like good is getting stuck because it's tight.

I have been trying to deal with anxiety without medication. Exercise, eating right, Pilates..deep breathing. Stretching. I feel if the symptoms were gone, anxiety would be gone as well.

With the significant symptoms you are having, you would have more than one nonspecific lesion.  If I scan 100 heads I would probably find 40 or more with nonspecific findings.  Our brains are all made different.  We walk around with these lesions, cysts, vessel malformations etc. and never know they are there. 

As for your logic about anxiety and symptoms...you have it backwards.  If you deal with the anxiety, the symptoms will resolve.  You will continue to suffer symptoms until you accept that you are ok.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline concernedcass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 06:46:35 PM »

Shawn,

With the significant symptoms you are having, you would have more than one nonspecific lesion.  If I scan 100 heads I would probably find 40 or more with nonspecific findings.  Our brains are all made different.  We walk around with these lesions, cysts, vessel malformations etc. and never know they are there. 

As for your logic about anxiety and symptoms...you have it backwards.  If you deal with the anxiety, the symptoms will resolve.  You will continue to suffer symptoms until you accept that you are ok.

Well that's comforting to hear about the scans. Are you in the medical field?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
Yes.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 07:46:41 PM »
Shawn, any correlation between als and muscular dystrophy? Had a uncle with a rare form of muscular dystrophy and he passed away around 8-12 years old. Medical news today . com lumps those two together. Kind of how HIV/AIDS is lumped together. Coincidence? Weird?
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »
HIV and AIDS are lumped together because one is a result of the other.

Nolan, you're fine. There is no known relationship whatsoever. There isn't even an established relationship between BFS and ALS and they both cause a few of the same symptoms. Although TwitchyDoc protests and thinks there is. I think he's foolish and presumptuous. Especially as BFS exists as an umbrella term (implying multifarious reasons) for twitching without pathology.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 09:00:29 PM »
Shawn, any correlation between als and muscular dystrophy? Had a uncle with a rare form of muscular dystrophy and he passed away around 8-12 years old. Medical news today . com lumps those two together. Kind of how HIV/AIDS is lumped together. Coincidence? Weird?

Nope.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »
HIV and AIDS are lumped together because one is a result of the other.

Nolan, you're fine. There is no known relationship whatsoever. There isn't even an established relationship between BFS and ALS and they both cause a few of the same symptoms. Although TwitchyDoc protests and thinks there is. I think he's foolish and presumptuous. Especially as BFS exists as an umbrella term (implying multifarious reasons) for twitching without pathology.

I'm not sure doc thinks there is a correlation.  But, I believe he thinks that not every case of twitching is BFS and might indicate something more sinister.  But, you have to understand he deals with his own anxiety and it comes out in some of his posts.  He also read much outdated neurological texts at least in the realm of BFS which is a relatively newly categorized syndrome.  My partner who is a 60 year old neurologist now addictionologist hadn't even heard of it.  His training is dated.  There have actually been studies done on the correlation between BFS and A** and there was none noted.  They are two separate distinct processes.  There isn't much effort to study a benign process.  No money to be made.
Bookmark and Share

anything