Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: twitching during REM  (Read 226 times)

Offline sassparella

• Queen of Health Anxiety
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
twitching during REM
« on: June 24, 2013, 08:03:53 AM »
So my husband has told me that I twitch a lot during REM sleep (when i can get any o_O still not sleeping much at all) I'm getting very worried about my sleep and now this. Does anyone else know if this is normal? Do you guys twitch during REM well that you know of lol do your partners ever mention it?

I'm terrified of fatal insomnia, I'm so worried I have it and each night I go to bed I think I'm not going to sleep. I wake up every hour or so if I manage to get to sleep and only get a few hours of broken sleep a night. Last night i got zero hours of sleep. I don't feel sleepy any more, I'm just awake or asleep like a switch is switched off or on, though sometimes I'm in a strange half state at night like I'm asleep but part of my brain is observing it and is still awake.

It all feels wrong and along with the twitching makes me worry I have fatal insomnia and will die in a few months of a horrible, unpleasant death.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hydraulicwave

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: twitching during REM
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »
http://thescienceofsleep.wikispaces.com/The+Hypnic+Jerk

You will find that with proper nourishment and a reduction in anxiety that the twitching will decrease significantly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline br350

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »
Agree with hydraulicwave.   My husband twitches all the time in his sleep.  All the time.  He even jerks in an odd way, occasionally and there is nothing wrong with him.  I've noticed this about him since I was first with him 18 years ago.   You do not have fatal insomnia.  You have made an incorrect, unfounded assumption that you might have a disorder with which you have not been diagnosed.   :( What have you been doing to handle the anxiety and fears?   Are you still in therapy and/or taking your Luvox?   How is that going?
Bookmark and Share
"Worrying is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere."

Offline raphy14

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 04:52:31 PM »
hi there... last 2 nights ago.. i got very stressed and anxious when i go to bed.. last 2  nights ago.. i twitch whenever im about to sleep thus waking me up... last 2 nights ago  im so afraid of fatal insomnia.. its normal.... i actaully twitch to waking up when im so anxious about fatal insomnia.... fear not ..
Bookmark and Share

Offline sassparella

• Queen of Health Anxiety
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 10:52:25 PM »
Agree with hydraulicwave.   My husband twitches all the time in his sleep.  All the time.  He even jerks in an odd way, occasionally and there is nothing wrong with him.  I've noticed this about him since I was first with him 18 years ago.   You do not have fatal insomnia.  You have made an incorrect, unfounded assumption that you might have a disorder with which you have not been diagnosed.   :( What have you been doing to handle the anxiety and fears?   Are you still in therapy and/or taking your Luvox?   How is that going?

yes I'm still taking luvox and in therapy. I get nights with no sleep at all and even the next night when I'm really tired I can go the whole night without any sleep, even when I'm relaxed. It's getting really worrying. My doctor doesn't really know what to do but I think he's going to send me for a sleep study when I see him next if things haven't improved. I get maybe three hours sleep a night on the nights I actually get sleep and that is really broken up :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Turkeylips

• Rec's: 3
  • Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 11:06:36 PM »
Nighttime twitching runs in my family. Even my three year daughter does it. My husband calls it my Jimmy leg.  It is not fatal. I've been doing it all my life, and I am 37.
Bookmark and Share
Romans 12:12  Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

Tags: