Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Phone calls, UGH!  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Rose~

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • ~Fear is the only thing that can hold you back~
    • Poke This Member
Re: Phone calls, UGH!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 06:43:27 PM »
i can definitely relate! I absolutely hate phone calls with anyone other than my very closest friend and my mom/dad. anyone else I basically freak out over talking to because I just know that I won't be able to hold a conversation, leading to awkwardness and a feeling of being looked down on for having such awkward, poor phone talking skills. I basically say "hi" and then let the other person lead the whole conversation, with me just answering any questions they ask, and there are always many awkward "yeah"s because I simply don't know what to say. I would much rather email or text or any other non verbal form of communication than talk on the phone. I remember when I was younger and I would want to go play at my friends house, I would always beg my mom to do the calling of her parents for me to ask "is so and so there?" and she thought I was nuts and needed to grow up and call them myself LOL ::) sometimes it would get to the point where I would want to avoid making the call so bad I would just decide "never mind i'll just stay home if that's what it takes" phone calls are definitely an enourmous pain!

and to Aurelie, I totally agree! maybe the reason phone calls are so scary sometimes is simply because people can be really unnessecarily rude! making calls is bad enough without having to feel like the person you are talking to is fed up with you and wanting you to be gone. I know when people hurry me along on the phone, I feel very un-confident and like I am just a bother. any time I can avoid making a phone call to someone I am not extremely familiar with, I will. phone calls are much to stressful! also, I don't know if anybody else does this, but sometimes when I am on the phone, especially if it's with a new friend or someone I don't know very well, I will idly walk around the house with the phone, sometimes even outside around the house. I don't know, it somehow makes me feel a little better :P
Bookmark and Share
"I'm happy about who and what I am, and I can't wait to find out who I'll be tomorrow."- Joyce DeWitt <3

Offline Philtered

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 05:00:56 PM »
I have always had a hard time making phone calls, even now I avoid making calls at all costs. And answering calls is a little safer because I always use an answering machine and I don't pick up unless I know who it is first. But I still hate talking on the phone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline goathorned

• Mood: Envious
    Envious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
Phone calls have never been a huge issue with me, UNLESS...it's with family members. I liked the suggestion someone has already mentioned. Taking notes of things to say before engaging in the conversation. Half of my anxiety comes from being awkward and silent alone, so this is something i've done several times and it does help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline namelessface

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 12:45:28 AM »
 You are not alone friend. I get the same way, although maybe more often then not it's ***** calls then phone calls. I'm so afraid to call other people out of fear that I'll end up being a third wheel, or bothering them in the middle of something important, or interrupting something with their other friends, but when they call me I get extremely giddy thinking "Oh my god someone want to talk to me, how could this be?" so it can't be that abnormal. Although maybe it's not exactly the same as you, we're similar enough I think.  If it's just something like calling tech support or what have you, just tell yourself that unlike normal conversation, if something goes awry you can hang up and never speak to that person again if need be.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »
Oh gosh, its not just me! At my job in college I sometimes was required to answer phone calls and I would always pray that I would get a customer to avoid having to pick up the phone! Im fine talking to my boyfriend, mother, and grandparents but beyond that I get nervous and shaky and feel like an idiot! If my phone rings I just let it go straight to voice mail. Im glad to see so many people are dealing with this and I am not alone. It feels so childish and people tell me to just suck it up and deal, but its hard, ya know?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Js

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »
It's the worst with phone calls for me when I have to keep waiting until I feel comfortable to return the call. As I keep waiting to do it the more nervous I get. I've been trying to do it as soon as I think of it because if I delay I get so anxious... sA is really hard to deal with
Bookmark and Share