Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: anyone ever tried meditation/mindfulness?  (Read 12890 times)

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
Re: anyone ever tried meditation/mindfulness?
« Reply #285 on: December 20, 2013, 08:16:51 AM »
Have been thinking about Who Am I? The Id? The Ego? The Superego? In that framework I'm all Superego, constrained in all ways.

Easwaran says today that we have the power within us "to choose, to change, to grow." That is what has been happening to me in meditation. Happens so slowly, it is almost imperceptible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline doogle2

• Rec's: 4
  • AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #286 on: December 23, 2013, 10:11:33 AM »
I couldn't resist posting a snippet of Easwaran's thought for today (see earlier posts) as I think it's brilliant and so so apt for us anxiety sufferers

The thought for the day:   Let the wise guard their thoughts, which are difficult to perceive, which are extremely subtle, which wander at will. Thought which is well guarded is the bearer of happiness. – THE BUDDHA

Easwaran's comment:  When the mind has become completely still, when there is no movement at all -  neither on the conscious level nor in the unconscious depths - then there is no anger, fear, or greed. When in deep meditation the turbulent factory of the mind closes down for just a few minutes, we find a soothing stillness which heals the body, mind, intellect, and spirit. In this stillness we feel the enormous draw of the ocean of pure love deep within, pulling us into a union that is complete peace, complete joy, and complete fulfilment. 

A marvellous description of what meditation can do for us. If that doesn't draw you to meditation, then probably nothing will.
Bookmark and Share
The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish ~ Evelyn Waugh

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #287 on: December 23, 2013, 06:09:39 PM »
Wonderful quote. Meditation draws me into this peace of healing body and mind every day. Also look forward to Easwaran every day. What a gift, d, many thanks.

Meditation is such a gift if we allow it into our life. They knew that so many years ago.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LostKeys

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #288 on: December 23, 2013, 07:05:06 PM »
I have heard of doing it and it always sounds good but this one time i was trying it and i dont really no what happened but it felt like what it seems like in movies when people trip on acid so i go freaked out and kind of refuse to try it again without advice on how to do it. but i think it would help alot! (if you know what to do or i just freaked out for no reason lol)
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #289 on: December 24, 2013, 08:00:30 AM »
Am glad you are sharing this. Maybe we can figure out how it might work for you.

There are different kinds of meditation, different goals for some, there are countless books on it, videos on YT. Where to begin? Perhaps by just sitting in a quiet spot, eyes closed, focussing on slowly breathing in and out. The mind will wander. Gently bring it back to breathing. Sit for a few minutes for starters and gradually increase. Good luck, keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #290 on: December 28, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »
Can't resist this today. The link is doogle's on page 19.

Today one part of the message is: "In meditation we often simply leave personal problems behind - move out of the neighborhood where they live."

We breathe easy in the neighborhood where we want to be: in peace, in calm, in loving kindness, in forgiving ourself, in loving ourself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline doogle2

• AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #291 on: December 28, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »
Here's the quote:

Reason is like an officer when the King appears. The officer then loses his power and hides himself. Reason is the shadow cast by God; God is the sun. – JALALUDDIN RUMI

Thinking, however useful it may be at times, is not the highest human faculty; it is only a stage in development. If, for example, in the throes of evolution we had stopped with instinct, saying, “This is the highest possible mode of knowing,” our human future would have been stunted: I would not be seated here writing these words, nor would you be reading them.

Like instinct, reason is only a way station. When friends and I go to San Francisco to see a play, we sometimes stop halfway along to stretch our legs. But we don’t get so involved in stretching legs that we forget to go on to the theater. Thought is a useful but temporary stopping station; it should not be considered a permanent solution to the problems of living. Just as we were able to rise above instinct and to develop reason, we must one day pass beyond discursive thinking and enter into a higher mode of knowing.

We cannot solve the problems of the mind with the mind. We cannot solve our problems by thinking about them, analyzing them, talking about them. In meditation, we often simply leave personal problems behind – we move out of the neighborhood where they live.

Here's the link: http://www.easwaran.org/thoughts-for-the-day-quotes.html   :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish ~ Evelyn Waugh

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #292 on: December 29, 2013, 08:30:54 AM »
Thank you for your help. You can see how choppy my quote is. He is cavalier about the mind whereas I cherish the mind. Yet his statement about meditation is right on. It is what helps us to calm and recondition the mind, as I see it.

Now to today's quote and see how I can chop that up, ha ha.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #293 on: December 29, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »
Hello Everyone...

In the late 1970's, I took a course in Transcendental Meditation (TM).  I have practiced the TM style of meditation on-and-off, throughout the years.  I have found that during times of high anxiety/panic attack, conducting TM frees both my mind and body from the grips of anxiety.  In TM, one uses a mantra that is provided to you by your instructor during the course.  Repeating the mantra over and over again gives the mind a focal point, and the mind is allowed to drift off to thoughts that have always been positive to me.  This form of meditation also completely relaxes my body.  I have been experiencing high anxiety for the last 2-3 months, and meditating has provided me with a conscious escape from that anxiety.  Also, by meditating, you are actually changing not only the way the mind thinks and interprets, but also changing the organic brain as well.

Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present.  One learns to live in the moment.  There is nothing wrong with "planning" one's future, but when one projects rather than plans, anxiety can ensue.  I once read a quote that said: If you are living in your past, you are depressed.  If you are living in the future, you are anxious.  If you are living in the present, you are at peace.  The greatest movie I have seen on the subject of mindfulness, is "Peaceful Warrior".  I highly recommend it!

The best to all of you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #294 on: December 29, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »
So happy you joined in, Chuck. TM is, of course, how meditation was first brought here by the Maharishi. My question about it is their insistence on a mantra that they give us. Teachers that they provide. Meditation in general is open to anyone. There are books, there is YT, meditation rooms in Buddhist centers open to anyone. I go to a meditation class, though that is not necessary. It is nice to sit with others, share information, as we do here. And, yes, it can change the organic brain as well. Seems almost unbelievable, but I think that is true, over time. My hope, grow a few more brain cells and preserve the existing ones. My scientific experiment of one!

Will look for Peaceful Warrior. Thank you for giving us that tip. Was never mentioned in this long thread.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #295 on: December 30, 2013, 08:36:09 AM »
Did a bit of research. The film is based on a book by Dan Millman who has written other books as well. Another one is The Four Purposes of Life. May look for it and the DVD.

Sure understand the idea of being a warrior. We do warrior poses in yoga. The peaceful comes about mainly in meditation, so I think. Imagine a world where everyone meditates. We might just stop killing each other.

P.S. Part of Easwaran's quote today is: "By virtue of being human, each of us has the capacity to choose, to change, to grow." Yessss.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #296 on: January 01, 2014, 08:16:49 AM »
Part of the quote for Jan. 1 states,

"The glory of the human being is our ability to remake ourselves." Remake ourselves.

This is the hope we need to conquer depression, anxiety, OCD, phobias....whatever. Healthy, Happy 2014 to all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline doogle2

• AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #297 on: January 01, 2014, 09:41:20 AM »
Excellent quote - remake ourselves we can, takes faith, effort and discipline - but nevertheless it can be done.

Happy New Year everyone - let's make it a good one  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share

Offline doogle2

• AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #298 on: January 03, 2014, 05:23:47 AM »
Something to be mindful/meditate on:

If you want to meet God don’t ask “Show me a miracle” in order for him to show himself - instead ask yourself “What here is not here by miracle” and the miracles will show themselves. That tree, that dog, that child, me, you, this planet - how did it get here, what did it take to get it here, who/what put it here, what keeps it here? - investigate that and you will see your miracle - Author Unknown   

Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #299 on: January 03, 2014, 07:45:14 AM »
Now you are drifting into another dimension. There may indeed by a "God Particle" but it has nothing whatsoever to do with me or us on earth, in my thinking. Am respectful of the beliefs of others.

In meditation I am with myself trying to help myself, mind and body, psyche and feelings. I have a new little book (pamphlet, really), Buddha in Blue Jeans. There is a page on Wonder. True, the world is wonder. But nothing about the G concept which, as far as I'm concerned, has caused more conflict, casualties, suffering than anything else.

Happy meditating.
Bookmark and Share