I've posted this on a different forum board too as I'm not sure where it is most relevant. Please feel free to delete it if I'm not meant to do this!
3 little letters that will be the death of me. It's short for Laryngopharyngeal Reflux, or "90% guaranteed cancer" as far as research is concerned. There's nothing else I could possibly have but this disease. ALL of my symptoms match it; trying to fix my anxiety doesn't work on it, medication doesn't help, lifestyle/diet changes do nothing. Even water triggers it. The only thing that makes me feel better in the slightest is not eating at all. It's living hell, and I just want it to stop. I get:
- A feeling of gas and liquid moving up my throat
- Tonnes of throat mucus always stuck there, making me clear my throat all the time.
- Constant burping; even if I "block" the burps the liquid comes up anyway.
- "Hunger" feelings even immediate after eating.
- A burning throat sensation sometimes accompanied by a lump, but only if I drink too much. Again, even alkaline water triggers this.
All of these symptoms check out as LPR; even people on this forum agree, one little search confirmed this for me. Consulting Google proved anxiety can NOT caused LPR; it must be an anatomical cause or to do with vitamin levels. Yet I'm on a heavy multivitamin so in theory I should be getting enough vitamins with my diet. So I took a rapid spit test and it confirmed my fears. Pepsin - THE enzyme known for causing throat cancer above all others - is in my throat, and nothing will ever get rid of it. It's binded there now.
I've tried the following to fix myself, for 8 months in total:
- PPIs such as Omeprazole and Lansoprazole. No effect.
- Other meds such as Ranitidine, Gaviscon Advance (max dose), Forceval and Setraline. No effect.
- Lifestyle and diet changes including following the Dr Kouffman LPR diet. No effect.
- Methods to treat my supposed anxiety including councilling, CBT, hypnotherapy and new hobbies/work. No effect.
I can't chase this up any further with my GP. She doesn't know about LPR and doesn't believe in it when I tell her about it. I can't prove I have LPR. My friends are sick of me talking about it, my family hates me for it and my life is in utter ruin. I worry and fret about everything I eat and drink, and all attempts at trying to reassure myself result in another person saying "it's LPR and it has no cure." Not even surgery works on it.
Well, I think there is a cure, but it's not as easy to carry out as it seems. All diseases seek to end life right? So this disease can have mine as far as I'm concerned. It's taken away everything I know and love, and all my efforts to stop it have been in vain. I'm as good as dead, and I can't live a possible 60 more years like this, I'm only 22 for God's sake!! Someone just end me so that I don't suffer any longer..........................