Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: How does your family react to your HA?  (Read 274 times)

Offline Mom21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How does your family react to your HA?
« on: May 25, 2013, 11:42:20 PM »
I'm going through a really bad time right now with HA after finding a lump in my breast. I feel there is no one I can turn to that understands what it is like to have HA. My husband is sick of hearing about what's wrong with me so I try to deal with things on my own. I happened to be very tired this morning and as he rolled his eyes he basically told me I need to get up, everything that's ever wrong with me is in my head, I make these things up, I'm constantly worried about myself or our son, etc. I know he's right on one hand, but on the other hand I was very hurt. Just curious how important people in your life view your HA.
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How does your family react to your HA?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 12:16:58 AM »
My family is sick of it as well. I know it drives them nuts. I try to hide it from many people, since it helps me maintain some sort of normalcy and keeps me in check. My family is using the approach where they will no longer entertain my need for reassurance. I worry not only about my health but theirs as well (if not more). I think my main issue stems from the fact that sickness and death is such a waste if you really think about it. I can't stand it. I look at those I love and imagine life without them and it makes me so sad. The futility of it all. For me that's where depression and anxiety link up. Anyways, my family is mostly great, but will no longer entertain me in my paranoia. I know that if something were really wrong with me, they would drop everything to help. I hate putting them through all that I do.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline privilegedwhitekid

• Certified Google PhD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 12:46:51 AM »
They have little patience with it at this point. It has even put a huge strain on my relationship with my girlfriend. On one hand I get frustrated by their sometimes hostile and unsympathetic response to my concerns, but on the other hand, I understand how stubborn and unreasonable I must seem to people who aren't cursed with the perpetual fear that they're dying from some horrible illness :spineyes:.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 29
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 01:05:13 AM »
Mine are remarkably patient.  I really don't know how they put up with me.  I'm lucky.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivingLife

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 01:23:48 AM »
Mine are very patient and my parents will always come with me to the dr.s for support even though I'm a 23 year old male, they'll always set up appointments and even pay for my psychologist that I go too. One thing that kind of frustrates me though is that anxiety disorder doesn't run in my family like it may with most people. My dad shows no sign off anxiety always been a fear less guy. My mom is definitely an anxious person but she's not suffering from an anxiety disorder it doesn't get in the way of her life shes just a normal anxious person. What frustrates me though is that they think you could just snap out of it or that my mom says she has the same thing I have when she clearly doesn't. It's obvious I suffer from panic / GAD where she's just a normal anxious person who gets anxious over normal things like bills and and such.
Bookmark and Share

Offline privilegedwhitekid

• Certified Google PhD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 01:37:36 AM »
Mine are very patient and my parents will always come with me to the dr.s for support even though I'm a 23 year old male, they'll always set up appointments and even pay for my psychologist that I go too.

That warms my heart. You have a lovely family.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MariaGrceva

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 04:22:04 AM »
Im made fun of. No really both of my parents are doctors so most of the things I say sound redicilous to them. I mean they have seen people with real problems, people that were actually dying and then I come and tell my dad I have MS cuz my pinkie tingles, or that I might get ALS because me right hand feels kinda weak. And then he laughs and tells me to lock my door because maybe aliens will come and abduct me. However my mother has a more...serious approach and always tells me why did I have to become crazy so her friends wont laugh at her that she has a crazy daughter...pretty bad if you ask me. :angry:
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 07:43:06 AM »
mine have been great through all of this, but this perticular worry is dragging on so they have kind of given up on me.  They wont discuss my fears with me anymore.... we fight a lot, and I sometimes say stuff like "IŽll never forgive you if its turns out this is cancer, youŽre making me go through this alone"  ...its horrible.

Today is my birthday so I told my husband I wanted to feel his neck for a while to find his lymph nodes....like a little birthday present!  HAHA-thats just crazy:)  (but I found 4 little palpable nodes on his neck so I feel a little better;)
Bookmark and Share
“I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.”  - Mark Twain

Offline amandagator

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 06:41:56 PM »
I definitely just said this to my parents yesterday.  I said, "If I turn out to be right and I have cancer, I'll be so incredibly mad at you for doubting me. I don't know if I can forgive you."  To which they respond, "Well you're wrong and you don't so we'll never have to cross that bridge."

Ugh parents.

The thing is part of me knows that if any of my tests ever actually came back bad they'd take me up to the Mayo Clinic immediately and pay for anything and everything necessary.  Ah HA, ruining relationships for millions.

mine have been great through all of this, but this perticular worry is dragging on so they have kind of given up on me.  They wont discuss my fears with me anymore.... we fight a lot, and I sometimes say stuff like "IŽll never forgive you if its turns out this is cancer, youŽre making me go through this alone"  ...its horrible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ctina

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 07:07:57 AM »
My husband tries to be supportive,  sometimes he just doesn't know what to do or say.  My step-mom has her own depression/anxieties/real medical issues so she is understanding and my half-sister has similar HA issues.  I try not to let them see/know how bad I can get though, just my husband has experienced the most.    I don't usually seek reassurance from them.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: