Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Please help worried son might have something serious  (Read 269 times)

Offline lisak789

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please help worried son might have something serious
« on: May 25, 2013, 10:56:50 PM »
My son is a hockey player and recently noticed he has a lump about an inch above the outside of his ankle. He said it doesn't hurt him unless he has his skates on. The lump is about the size of a bigger pea. He has had some blood work done and all was good except his billiruban was high, its back down now. He had an x ray on his ankle it said it could be from a previous injury or a subtle lesion. I am so worried this might be bone cancer. I had him seen by three doctors who don't seem concerned, they said that they will send him for a bone scan to make me feel better but not because he needs one. He is still in lots of sports and very active and he said it doesn't ache or bother him but I cant help but worry its cancer. Any advice would be great.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lalaland

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please help worried son might have something serious
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:05:17 PM »
If the doctors arent worried I wouldn't be either :)

I used to play lots of sports too and I have all sorts of bumps on my legs from where I fell or got a bump that never quite healed properly - I've got a lump on one of my shins that's about two inches long from a hockey ball that smacked into me about 8 years ago. From what I've heard it's pretty normal for an active kid :)

If it doesn't seem to be bothering him and the doctors aren't worried at all - I would try not to worry.

The docs have been trained to know what to look for :)
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 01:06:51 AM »
If it only hurts with pressure it's probably some kind of sports injury.  I think bone cancer hurts all the time.  Pressure on things can cause bumps - I have a permanent bump on my finger just from holding a pen too long in high school.  Maybe his skates don't fit him right.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mom21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 08:02:53 AM »
I would say if 3 doctors weren't worried then chances are everything is OK. I'm sure if he had bone cancer he would hurt all the time and it would be pain where he knew something was definitely wrong. I've been told cancer pain doesn't come and go. My guess is it's a sports injury.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lisak789

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
THank you all for your answers. Ever since I had a still birth at full term in January 2012 I am a constant freak out that something will happen to my other kids. My baby died of a cord accident and I had such a bad feeling something was going to happen before it did and the doctors said not to worry hes a happy baby and then before I know it hes gone. I don't want to lose another child and I am so so scared. I picked up the cancer fear, I don't know where it came from as cancer does not run in my family or do I know many people who have had it, I am just so worried that my kids are going to get it, or I am going to get it and no doctor will believe me and we will die. I know it sounds stupid but I cant kick the fear. And since my 15 year old has this lump above his ankle when I google it says bone cancer. I cant eat, cant sleep I am just fearing the wost. I hate this and no matter how hard I fight it I cant get better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mr. Rager

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »
First never depend on google for medical evidence. It's just not reliable and will only make your anxiety worse.

Second just keep in mind bone cancer is relatively rare (about 1% of cancers).

Your sons's bump could very well be something with his shoe or a simple injury. If you've been seen by 3 doctors, I think its time to accept the diagnosis.

Im sorry about your child. Im sure it was hard. I don't blame you for being cautious. Do you see a therapist ? They can help you at least control these thoughts fromm taking over your life. And maybe even help you make some meaning of why.
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 05:22:21 PM »
Dr. Google is a terrible doctor.  You can't rely on his diagnosis at all.  Better to listen to the actual doctors.

That's a terrible trigger to have, and I imagine most people would  have a hard time coping with what you've been through.  It's awful to have that feeling and have it confirmed, because then anxiety kicks in and you think every time anxiety makes you think it's something awful, it's some sort of instinct.  (Spoiler alert: it's not.)  I've been there myself though for a different reason.  As the other poster said it might be worthwhile to look into therapy for dealing with your loss and the problems it's causing you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JenBNimble

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 08:07:42 PM »
I was a figure skater when I was younger, and when I was 18 I noticed a lump near my ankle. Like your son, it didn't hurt except when my skates were rubbing against it.  It turned out to be an old hematoma, most likely from a skating injury. I agree with the other posters that the doctors probably see many of these kinds of injuries and know what to look for. I know it's hard but if they aren't worried, then you shouldn't be.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: