Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Do you stick with one fear or jump from fear to fear?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline sky3942

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do you stick with one fear or jump from fear to fear?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:57 AM »
I jump from cancer to cancer and now diabetes and heart disease. Also worry about my spouse and children like I do myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Paty8804

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 04:43:45 PM »
I usually jump from cancer to cancer..... its ridiculous , is usually brain tumors, leukemia, lymphoma, or one of those once in a while , ms o other weird disease....
Bookmark and Share
"My life has been full of missfortunes, most of which have never happened"

Offline Ctina

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 04:53:41 PM »
I jump from cancer to cancer and now diabetes and heart disease. Also worry about my spouse and children like I do myself.

Me too...and my cats.  Once I rushed my cat to the vet thinking he had a tumor.  The lump I was feeling was his liver.  I'm so ridiculous sometimes.   :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline xshalax32

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 04:27:18 PM »
I jump from one fear to another.  Sometimes I have a couple of them at one time and sometimes they rotate.  Right now it is swallowing issues and a painful vein in my breast.  I also had a headache in my sleep last night that I freaked about.  I did worry about cancer in my parotid gland for a while because I think one of them is bigger than the other but that went away (the worry) after an MRI.  Just wish there were some help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline littlerabbit

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 04:46:53 PM »
I'm a total jumper but with a couple of "favorites" that reappear. If something reassures me about one thing like a good test result then I usually jump to something else. I've even jumped to different things in a matter of days although some of mine have had long stints.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HeatherJoy11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 01:30:53 PM »
I jump from fear to fear. It's absolutely ridiculously exhausting.  :sprachlos020:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 02:08:07 PM »
I jump, as soon as one resolves itself or I realize I am being REALLY ridiculous the next one is right on the other ones heels.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NightBlizzard

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Just Breathe
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
I'm a jumper ... of anxiety.

Honestly this is probably the first time I've obsessed so much about my health! I didn't consider myself a hypochondriac a few months ago. It was always a more General Anxiety thing before. I feared about the weather, than I was scared someone was going to break into our house, and now most recently (now that I'm experiencing physical symptoms that are persistent no doubt!) I'm scared of having a brain tumor, a brain aneurysm, oooor heart disease. (those are my top 3 ... although the aneurysm scares me the most)
Bookmark and Share
"Grant that my hands be steady, my aim be true, and my feet swift. And should the worst come to pass - grant me forgiveness"

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 04:25:52 PM »
For me it's pretty much always my heart. Occasionally I'll worry about a stroke or meningitis but 99.9% of the time it's my heart. I HS I thought I had stomach cancer but it was pretty short lived because I had a scope and it was clear. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Quincyguy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2014, 05:08:56 PM »
It seems most of us here are jumpers...our minds insist on something to stimulate the fight or flight response.   For me it's uncanny - usually less than 24 hours after one ailment has been disproven (this last time, pancreatic cancer-VERY popular with HA sufferers) another symptom will slide in, discreetly at first, to take its place.   Now for me, heart palpitations have stolen the spotlight.  A few minor thumps in the chest 2 months ago has graduated, with honors,  to full on heart anxiety.   3 ecg's and a 48 hour halter monitor later and a stress test coming up.
What will happen when that too turns out normal?   Hmmmm - your guess is as good as mine.   
Point is, our rational minds know what is going on, but our physical responses take their marching orders from our primitive brains.  And in my case (and most others on this forum, I would guess) I always have that primitive brain humming in the background like a unseen computer application generating fear, fear, fear.   There are ways to turn that around, as many here demonstrate. 

I've been convinced I have brain tumors, anal cancer, ALS, MS, Colon cancer, bone cancer, pancreatic and liver cancer, heart disease, diabetes, just to name a few.   Yeah, there are more.  Of course, I've actually had none. 

I'm in CBT and small dosage meds, which do help to some extent, but I'm still working, as are most of the folks who visit this site.   We must keep fighting and striving to kick the panic/anxiety to the curb.  It is possible!   I had a nice 2 year break in all of this until some stressful periods (combined with my dismissing the meds for quite a while) retriggered my HA.   So I know it's possible to get rid of it - we just have to remain on top of it.   My best to everyone on this site, reading these responses, and many success stories, keeps me going and hopeful that a normal life is very much possible for all of us.

My Primary Doc, who is a God send, told me once, on the downside of an episode, "You're healthy, but you have this anxiety thing.  Treat it aggressively - it's like any other illness that needs attention."    No shame, no 'it's all in your head."   Just fight it and it will eventually get better! 

Peace, everyone!
Bookmark and Share

Offline alexa884

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2014, 01:02:20 AM »
I jump around, because eventually I get irrefutable proof that I'm not sick of the particular thing that is on my mind. But, not to worry, in times of high stress my brain finds new ones.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bulan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2014, 05:02:07 AM »
I'm a total jumper but with a couple of "favorites" that reappear. If something reassures me about one thing like a good test result then I usually jump to something else. I've even jumped to different things in a matter of days although some of mine have had long stints.
This sums up my anxiety too, with cancer being one of my 'favorites'. I have fibromyalgia, so I'm constantly getting strange aches and pains. Throw a baby and c-section and the slow road to recovery into the mix, and it adds a whole new batch of symptoms to worry about.

I've had leg/hip/lower back/pelvic pain/underarm pain for the last 1.5 months, so I'm convinced I have some form of cancer that's spreading...

Already, I'm worried my doctor rolls his eyes whenever I make appointments.   :angel-smiley-006:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2014, 01:41:07 PM »
I jump from fear to fear. It's absolutely ridiculously exhausting.  :sprachlos020:
This!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bengalsreds20

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2014, 03:35:54 PM »
Whenever my anxiety started up a little over a year and a half ago, I jumped around from fear to fear.  First I had Cancer growing in my chest, next I was having a heart attack, next I was having GERD (which I actually think I had for awhile I spent like 2 months fighting off heartburn), then had stomach cancer, then Barrett's esophagus, then lymphoma (which was the worst and is what caused me to finally get put on a medication for anxiety). I do still have a few tiny knots about pea sized in my neck but they have been there for a year and I haven't shown any other signs of anything being wrong so I guess I shouldn't worry.  Also thought I was feeling other lumps when in reality they're just stuff that's supposed to be there like tendons and muscles.  Right now I'm kind of dealing with an actual medical issue which have been two sebaceous cysts that have popped up out of nowhere and I'm taking medicine for MRSA.  But you know I'm not taking it as hard as my other battles with anxiety, especially the lymphoma, I just wanted to quit life I was in such fear of it.  But the anxiety medicine has really helped A LOT, so my recommendation to anyone is don't keep beating yourself up and confront the real problem of your anxiety.  No need to make yourself keep suffering, I've been doing much better since I got put on a medication for the last 3 months.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: