Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Mild pain under left ribs = Pancreatic Cancer or Enlarged Spleen ?  (Read 3465 times)

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
Ok I'm back. This time it's something new, I notice for the last 2 weeks I have had a mild dull pain under my left ribs. I shouldn't have googled but I did. Is this a sign of pancreatic cancer?
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Offline jenkyleg

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mild pain under left ribs = Pancreatic Cancer or Enlarged Spleen ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
It could be. But it also could be plenty of other, more common things that aren't cancer. Pain can be an indicator of just about anything, not only cancer. In fact, many cancers have plenty of other warning signs that aren't even painful. Pancreatic cancer usually affects your stool and urine. It may also give you jaundice, nausea, and vomiting. Do you have any of those symptoms? And don't look for them now that I've mentioned them! Did you have them BEFORE I asked?

And check this out. Look at the incidence rate statistics for pancreatic cancer. Notice anything? Peak incidence occurs at ages 55+. What's more, if you're ANY age under 44, you have a combined 2.7% incidence rate. So, if we do that math, roughly 1,221 people each year under the age of 44 are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. How many people in the U.S. fit that description? Millions upon millions upon millions, right? Though 1,221 seems like a high number, it's really not. It's incredibly miniscule.

So, could it be cancer? Sure. Statistically, though, is it likely to be cancer? Not in the slightest. That said, are there tons of other things you could have instead of pancreatic cancer, things that have the same symptoms? Yep. Lots and lots and lots.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lofwyr

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:32:12 PM »
I have had something similar for seven months. Pancreatic cancer is a fast mover. I know someone who passed from it (she was in her 80s). She had a TON of symptoms, and it progressed quickly.

It is highly unlikely to be pancreatic cancer. You would likely be much sicker than having a dull pain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Moebearocka1980

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 09:33:38 PM »
I definitely agree with the other responses. You would have many many other symptoms besides this vague pain if it was PC. I've had pains under my ribs for months off and on. It could be nothing more then trapped gas. Do you have IBS by chance?
Bookmark and Share
"Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline buttghost

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »
Hey bud, I have this all the time. In fact I feel pain in all parts of my body radiating from my heart to lungs to stomach to back. It's just mild pain! There is nothing to worry about :) It's important to not avoid "feeling" the pain but to accept it as NORMAL. Also, I'm pretty sure if it's serious it's gonna hurt a lot more than just mildly :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline jenkyleg

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 11:27:08 PM »
I'd like to amend my previous post here. So, I was slightly wrong. I left out an entire sample group from that range of incidence rates. It should read a combined 12.3% instead of a combined 2.7% incidence rate, which bumps the projected incidence for 2013 cases <44 up to 5,562, WHICH IS STILL REALLY LOW. But I just wanted to make sure I got it right. Carry on!
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:17:42 AM »
Your stomach is also under your left rib, much much more likely youre feeling that.  If it was p cancer your pain would be severe...
Bookmark and Share

Offline bella1986

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
I had this feeling under my left ribs for about a month.... it started out as an ache like you get when you run on a full stomach... then started feeling like something was just there... and getting bigger or growing.... it turned out to be a symptom of my IBS.... and eventually went away after I knew what it was, and how to treat it.  You have your intestines and stomach under your left ribs... both of which are very sensitive to stress and anxiety... so anytime you are under stress or whatever, it's not unlikely your digestive system will pay the price
Bookmark and Share

Offline MajorIFG

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 08:32:01 AM »
Bella1986,

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm curious as to how you went about treating this pain caused by your IBS.  I have IBS as well and am experiencing a dull LUQ pain so I'm starting to wonder if I have something similar.  Any advice you could provide would be much appreciated...

Thanks.
Bookmark and Share