Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Battling with my fear, succeeded at first, now is back.  (Read 451 times)

Offline puppyswan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Battling with my fear, succeeded at first, now is back.
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:38:53 PM »
I have battled with rabies hypochondria in the past. It has plagued me several times in the past, leading me to beg my parents to go to the doctor's and them telling me I had nothing to worry about/they couldn't give me shots due to the history I told them. I finally had gotten over it and was living life normally until this happened:

Today I was walking in an extremely dark hallway in an outdoor pool bathroom. It was pitch dark. I didn't hear anything or fell anything bite me but I'm scared a rabid/grounded bat could have bit me when I went to put up a medicine ball onto it's rack. The ground of the hallway is full of mats and I was barefoot and I'm not sure if one could have bitten me. They say that bat bites cannot be felt or seen because they are so small.  I swam immediately afterwards and as rabies incubation period is longer the further bitten from the brain (the foot is the farthest) and how much was injected (swimming could have killed most of it but not all so the amount would be little). This means that if it did bite me then the incubation period will be around a year. I don't want to live in this fear for a year. I'm afraid I will develop rabies and this fear  is taking over my life.

I can no longer concentrate in my classes, I've become colder towards my friends, and I developed an attitude that "I'm going to die soon so why bother/plan for the future/live life happily". I cannot get professional help because I don't have money and when i talk to my parents for help they just laugh at my fear of rabies.

What should I do? How can I cope with this?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline puppyswan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Battling with my fear, succeeded at first, now is back.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:31:59 PM »
I just read that rabies can have an incubation period of up to 7 years and that it travels through nerve cells and travels 1 cm a day! If I was bitten in the foot by not a lot it could take years for it to reach my brain and I don't want to have hypochondria for that long!
Bookmark and Share

Online aliasporci

• Ad astra per alias porci
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »
Hi
I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Being rational, żdo you have any bite marks on your foot? If you don't probably you were not bitten, and therefore you don't have rabies.
Greetings!
Bookmark and Share
Keep on walking through the darkest of nights...

Offline puppyswan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I have now sort of convinced myself I don't have rabies. I've been in the dark corridor multiple times and my teammates go there too everyday. The chance of a rabid bat being in there without me knowing is small and it's unlikely a bat's teeth could have poked through my shoe (however I'm not sure), however w/ hypochondria nothing is logical.  :angel-smiley-006: I have now calmed down a bit and I have been having mood swings, sometimes feeling like I won't die and sometimes getting this clutching fear that I will. However any improvement is good improvement so I will try to stay positive!
Bookmark and Share

Offline puppyswan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »
Today, I'm even better! I slept a lot yesterday and I definitely in a more cheerful mood. However a fear stems that I could have contracted rabies and that I could not know and I would become happy later on and seven years later when I'm happy, it will strike me and kill me. I think I have a fear of "what ifs" and the fear that I could prevent this from occuring but am not. Does anyone have any suggestions for overcoming these kinds of fear?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »
You're really kicking HA's butt!  That's awesome!
Bookmark and Share

Offline puppyswan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »
Okay, I feel tons better and I can function well. I now realize that it is quite impossible for the scenario I believed to happen, except I keep coming up with "what-ifs" and more. What can I do to get over this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline puppyswan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 10:09:26 PM »
Oh God, fear is back. I had been doing amazing for awhile but to day while I was at school, I felt something go into the back of my shirt and now I'm afraid it was a rabid bat. Any help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline avianwaif

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • artist and crafter
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:18:30 AM »
Schools are public buildings, and would be in major trouble with the dept of health if they let a bat colony into the commonly travelled school grounds. The chances even a non rabid bat are anywhere in the school, especially visible by day, are so slim you may as well worry about rabid unicorns, or yeti with distemper. What you felt was probably your hair, bookbag strap, or shirt collar/tag. Try to not worry too much. :)

It seems to be a bat phobia with rabies as the target. Perhaps working on overcoming the bat phobia would get rid of the rabies phobia too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cbhaga01

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • JAM
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 03:04:03 AM »
Go watch the episode of The Office where Meredith gets rabies. I promise you, it will show you how little you need to worry about something like that  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share
"Living every day with a fear of dying isn't really living at all."

drunkonworry.blogspot.com

Offline puppyswan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 01:36:00 AM »
Okay guys, it's been awhile and I was completely over my fear however recently a bat was found in the cafeteria on the wall directly next to wear I sit. I didn't actually know about it until after lunch whenever my friend told me about it. During the lunch, the teachers made us leave a little earlier however but because I didn't know there was a bat, I stayed with my friends about 3 minutes longer than everyone else. My friend left 3 minutes earlier and said at that time the bat was still sleeping on the wall. However, because I left later I'm worried that the bat somehow woke up and flew down and scratched my finger and I didn't know about it. On my finger thay day I saw a very very tiny scratch that had some dried blood on it about 30 minutes after the incident. I don't think there was anyone left in the cafeteria ehind me to see a bat but I can't be for sure. I washed my hands with soap just in case however now it is torturing me. I don't remember feeling scratched but I am a pretty unaware person. What should I do? The school didn't report the incident either or get it tested I'm pretty sure because I've been checking the news and the school website. The eachers ran off before me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline puppyswan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 05:41:19 AM »
Can anyone help??
Bookmark and Share

Tags: rabies