Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Tightness in throat and chest  (Read 123663 times)

Offline Bradly

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Tightness in throat and chest
« on: May 01, 2005, 12:03:20 PM »
I was'nt sure where to put this one because I seem to suffer from so many different things and I'm not exactly sure which one of them (if any) is causing it. I suffer from panic, anxiety and I think, some depression in there somewhere.

Anyway, my throat has felt very restricted for about 3-5 days now and I am swallowing a lot. It feels very tight/full and like there's a popping sound/feeling in there whenever I swallow and my chest also feels tight. It also feels kind of sore (not like a sore throat but more like I have something in there that makes swallowing uncomfortable). Sometimes I don't notice it that much and other times it makes me scared.

Any suggestions?. Anyone else get this?. Yes, I know I could just march down to the doctor's office (and I probably will very soon) but I was just wondering if anyone here can relate to these symptoms.

Thank's
Bookmark and Share

Offline twodogs

• Poke This Member
Re: Tightness in throat and chest
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 12:06:21 PM »
I'd like to know what is causing this too because I have the exact same symptoms as you and I have panic attacks/anxiety myself.

I hope we get an answer soon because it is really freaking me out. I just took a Xanax and it seemed to calm down some but it's still there. My throat feels tight, constricted, popping/clicking/lumpy/bumpy...blah blah feeling when I swallow too and I feel like I have to swallow every few seconds.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Angelwings

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 07:36:10 PM »
This happens to me sometimes when a panic attack strikes but my throat just gets really tight and I have a difficult time breathing. I think it's pretty normal and I'm glad they don't last forever although regular anxiety seems to be a different matter.
Bookmark and Share
This thing can only conquer us if we give it the power to.

Offline rara

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 01:27:12 PM »
Are you sure it isnt physical? And Are you sure one anxiety isnt a sympton of the other?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Star

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 02:29:59 PM »
Hi Bradly, what my psychiatrist always told me to do when I felt the tightness in my chest from being anxious, is to pull back your shoulder blades. In doing that you open up your rib cage and hense make it easier to breathe.

As for the lump in the throat I find that there is not alot you can do about it but take some deep breaths, it does go away after a bit, maybe try to drink some water, or focus on something other then the uncomfortable feeling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bummed

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 12:57:13 PM »
yes i have so many of the symptoms  it sucks  im so afraid of dying that im not living my throat and chest hurt for the month atleast  just try to go its hard but i push myself some time so that trapped in my house like hremit
Bookmark and Share

Offline foggy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 10:03:20 AM »
Hey! I know this is an old thread, but I've started to have a great deal of tightness in my throat (There were a few seconds last night when I couldn't swallow - incredibly scary, and didn't help the anxiety!). Other people have experienced this...even when not in the throws of a panic attack? Any new tips on how to cope?

This is all so frustrating - but (as mentioned in a more recent thread), this board is incredibly helpful. It is so nice to have people to commiserate and share these awful experiences with!  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline SistahGeek

• GAD/Panic/HA
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 03:19:05 PM »
I have also begun experiencing this, during a panic attack and then sometimes just in anticipation of the next attack...very frustrating....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Amie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 06:14:48 AM »
A couple years ago I went to an ent guy for this. (put the light thing up my nose and down my throat. wasn't too bad)  He called it globus.  Yet another lovely anxiety related disorder.  :-\  I have a really hard time with this one.  I get it really bad when I'm driving.  I really don't find driving to be overly stressful, but apparently some part of my brain does.  I've found the more I think about it the worse it gets.  Drinking ice water seems to help.  It also seems to get worse when I let myself get dehydrated.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline james2612

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 04:07:54 AM »
This is a classic symptom of panic disorder. After my attacks I get the tight throat, feels like a lump. This was lasting up to a week then I just accepted it and it went away. I tried Valium it has a muscle relaxant in it also goes away. Though thats a last resort. I get pains under my ribs, first I thought I had angina but it is more like a stitch. Once I realized and accepted it was due to panic it went away in seconds. Now I just have the attacks to deal with, I worry for days after most about my health.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sam

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 05:22:43 PM »
Just reading this is making my throat shut up tight and my chest feel heavy.. try dropping your head to your chest too, that helps a little bit with the tight throat thing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline damien

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 12:04:20 AM »
Tightness in the chest, throat, and stomach can all be symptomatic of high anxiety levels. As an anxious person, having those sensations for an extended period may bring on worries of a more serious health issue. And if the sensations increase with worry about the sensations themselves, then that's a good sign that what you're experiencing is anxiety related. Of course, it's always a good idea to consult with a qualified medical doctor for confirmation, but if you're pretty sure that anxiety is the cause, then learning to manage the anxiety will lead to a cessation of the symptoms.

Good luck!

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key" - The Eagles

Damien
Bookmark and Share

Offline xadorkablefreakx

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 03:36:59 AM »
Hey, I just joined this forum (found it on google acutally asking a question on how to calm my throat from being so darn tight!) and it seems very useful and alive of diffrent with opinons and facts. Anyways, Currently as I type, I am having tightness in my throat and I feel a lump every time i swallow. My anxiety disorder has really gotten out of hand and I basically go to sleep a nervous wreck and wake up a nervous wreck. I have horrible chest pains, back pains, pulsating arterys in my neck at times, everytime i get excited (whether I get excited about something good or bad) I feel like throwing up, espeically when breathing, i get afraid of death and losing my mind, constantly feeling like fainting, and the list goes on. I was diagnosed with Bi-polar, anxiety disorder, and ocd but have been off my meds for 8 months now due to not having insurance. It's gotten so horrible, that i can't even function when im trying to have fun with people. Xanex helps me alot, but i only get to use it when i'm with my aunt (shes on it). Sometimes klonpin helps, but lately i'm finding it to making me more nervous or just completely knocking me out of energy. At night, I'll end up calling 1-800 suicde(they blocked this word from being show, I am really wondering why!) hotline because i'm freaking out so much.  To answer the question of the whole throat thing (which i think is apparent because alot of others have said the same symptoms on here) Just try to relax your body. Get a heating pad and put in on your neck (your back neck muscles have alot to do with your throat). Also, put your head up to the air and take two fingers and stroke your apples adam.  Singers tend to do this when they feel a strain in their throat due to straining their voice. It comes in handy. Tea is always a great way to sooth a throat especially if it feels weird. Heck, throw some vix under your nose to make yourself realize that you are breathing more. If anyone around you wouldn't mind massaging your neck and shoulders, that could help as well. Meditation is the key to calm the nerves. When I get panicky, i go to my spirutal side and get insync with my body, soul, and mind. It helps alot. Well, i'm glad to be a part of the forum, it surely has helped my panic attack tonight (techinally morning). Good night!! - Ashley
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gideon.Waller

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
This has a lot of views, so I wanted to post what I do to help myself!

1. Drop your shoulders.
2. Relax both arms
3. Focus on your hands – do some sort of activity that focuses on them, like knitting, drawing, typing, playing a computer game
4. Get a little notebook small enough to fit in a bag or pocket. When you’re feeling anxious, think of stuff you like and write it down.
Anything – wet pebbles on the beach, the noise a gas fire makes, fluffy pillows…
5. Read your previous entries in the little notebook
6. In the car: Read out number plates of other cars to get through a particularly scary bit of road
7. Recite a poem
8. Sing a song or hymn that you know the words to
9. Try to remember anything you’ve known at some point, like call signs (alpha, bravo, charlie, foxtrot etc) or PI to 20 digits, or the months
of the year in French. Anything.
10. In a car again: Feel the steering wheel under your hands – think about how dense it is – wonder how heavy it’d be if you removed it.
11. Focus on your feet and feel the ground under them
12. Smile like someone just whispered in your ear that everything was going to be OK.
13. Think to yourself “panicking is pointless and I don’t have to do it”
14. Remind yourself that if you want to stop panicking you just can – it’s not easy but it is within your power. You don’t have to be that
person who’s panicking.
15. Remind yourself that it’s just unpleasant, not dangerous
16. Remind yourself that nothing bad is going to happen to you and you’re still in control
17. Think about the worst that you think could happen. You die – so what? Not your problem. You pass out – so what? Not your problem.
18. On public transport – look at other people’s shoes
19. Imagine a therapist sat next to you. They say “so how are you feeling now?” Imagine what you’d reply. Have a conversation – be your own
therapist! This helps to get perspective on the situation.
20. Breathe slowly and not too much.
21. Try to keep as still as possible, barely breathing. Pretend you’re playing hide and seek and the seeker is right next to you.
22. Imagine you’re sitting at home on the sofa in front of the TV. Then think to yourself OK I’m in exactly the same physical situation as that
and I’m fine when I’ve doing that, so I’m in no more danger now than I am then.
23. If you really want to run around, remember that no heart conditions are made better by running around, so it must not be a heart condition.
24. Close your eyes, rest your head back and take slow breaths as it you were about to fall asleep. Relax all your muscles as far as possible.
Don’t be scared of physical sensations like dizziness – you’re not going to pass out. Just let them come.
25. Sip some water
26. Draw a picture of yourself panicking (thanks to another poster for that one!)
27. Write down how you feel – describe the sensations in detail
28. Keep an analysis of when you feel worst. Rate your anxiety levels each morning and evening (1-10) and also record how tired you feel, how
much caffeine you’ve had, how much external stress you’re under, how much you had to drink last night, anything relevant to you and your
situation, also 1-10. Record it in Excel and make it into a graph so that you can see what’s causing the worst panic. If you turn it into an
interesting experiment it makes it less scary.
29. DON’T take your pulse!
30. Get some exercise each day – doesn’t have to be much, just enough to up your heart rate a little bit.
31. Don’t be scared of your heart racing after exercise – it’s what it’s supposed to do.
32. Don’t be worried if you can hear your heart at night – you’re just noticing it – some people don’t.
33. For night panics, just let it peak and it will pass. It’s just your brain doing weird stuff.
34. Relax those shoulders again – they’ve probably tensed up again by themselves.
35. Smile. Mean it.
Bookmark and Share
You Must Learn To Break The Fear Of Having Another Panic Attack Or You Will Never Experience Complete Freedom From Anxiety. No Fear!

Offline mimivstar

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 08:48:10 PM »
I went to an acupuncturist for these symptoms associated with my anxiety and she said that in eastern medicine they recognize it as a specific condition called Chinese Plum Pit Syndrome.  I found acupuncture extremely helpful for this, especially the herbs she perscribed for me.  Also I found yoga to help a lot.  I still get this from time to time and it is extremely unpleasant but you arent dying:) hope that helps
Bookmark and Share

Tags: