Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone had h. pylori?  (Read 774 times)

Offline chunkymonkey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone had h. pylori?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 07:32:20 PM »
Its been going on for a week. Everyday, all day, non stop. Now the burning is spreading to my chest and its scaring me. I have to keep taking zantac or eat something to have relief
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »
You're 23? I think it's safe to say it's probably just heartburn in conjunction with indigestion or something. What's your level of anxiety at?

Your doc doesn't want to send you for additional testing? I'd agree w/that based on your age.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 08:49:23 PM »
The most accurate test for active h. Pylori infection (and for confirming resolution of infection) is the fecal antigen test.....so a stool sample. Well, the most accurate other than biopsy but that's more invasive.

I am all for natural treatments and if someone has gastritis or GERD then there is a lot of validity to those things. However if anyone has tested positive for h. Pylori please be sure to retest when you have completed your course of treatment to ensure the h. Pylori is actually gone and not just inactive.

Integrative medicine is a medical discipline that incorporates natural/ holistic treatments when appropriate. A very interesting field indeed. Not all herbals etc are safe across the board so the specialized knowledge is important. Ie kava has been found to be unsafe due to liver problems. Migraines on the other hand have good evidence with alternative supplements : magnesium and coenzyme q10
Bookmark and Share

Offline chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 10:04:21 PM »
Cali4inay: my anxiety has been bad cyz of the symptoms. I think anyone can get infected with h pylori. I was reading on h pylori forums and there were quite a few ppl age 15-25 who had it.

Ancient: im going to ask my dr for h pylori testing once 2 weeks pass by since i took prilosec
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 10:15:43 PM »
I'm sorry, I meant like a more invasive test like endoscopy.

I've read that the cocktail of antibiotics for HP is pretty grueling, so depending on the result, you may want to read up on that. My mom had to undergo 2 rounds of treatment.

Personally, I'm all about natural supplementation over pharma. As with anything, I always take a minimum dosage of a new supplement, to see how my body reacts.

http://theasummerdeer.wordpress.com/2013/12/27/think-you-have-an-ulcer-think-again-h-pylori-and-mastic-gum/
Bookmark and Share

Offline Wingnut

• Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »
This may seem kind of silly. But I've been having the SAME EXACT issue and I think its due to my stress/anxiety. Something that has been helping me with digestion and things is the Activia Challenge! I'm not sure if you are able to eat yogurt, but it is definitely worth a try.
Bookmark and Share
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Mathew 6:34)

Offline chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 11:22:10 PM »
Cali4inay: yea im worried that if i have h pylori *knock on wood* i might need 2 rounds of antibiotics.

Wingnut: i can eat yogurt but i am also lactose intolerant. As long as it helps with burning pain, im willing to give it a try
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 11:46:50 PM »
Chunkymonkey - Yep, I'm still on Prilosec. I tried to pare it down to one pill a day, but I got rebound acidity. Terrible. That's why I want to see the holistic doc. He helped a friend of mine with the same problem (i.e. he had terrible LPR, went on PPIs, "cured it," tried to go off the PPIs and couldn't)... my friend said he saved his life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 01:59:56 AM »
Slangevar: maybe thats why my burning pain got worse after finishing prilosec. I did have occasional burning pain and thats why i started prilosec. But ever since i finished it, ive been getting the burning pain everyday and it wont go away. I just dont want to rely on ppi forever
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 07:00:49 AM »
I think an endoscopy would not be unreasonable,people can have ulcers or severe GERD at a young age. It may well be anxiety but burning pain that persists in spite of  potent proton pump inhibitor like prilosec warrants further evaluation.

So yeah at the very least a stool check for h. Pylori is warranted if he doesn't want to order an EGD. I will sometimes do both depending on the circumstances,min particular if there's a long wait for the endoscopy so treatment can start right away on the h. Pylori if it comes positive
Bookmark and Share

Offline chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 07:20:46 PM »
I wanted an h pylori test but my dr doesnt think i have h pylori because i didnt have pain in my stomach when pressed(?) Wtf, right? And i wanted endoscopy but he said im too young for it. He basically thinks its just ibs... im going to see another dr cuz i dont think he knows what hes doing
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 07:44:20 PM »
I completely and utterly agree with your doctor. I really do. At your young age, itís not a good road to go down- basically because of the anxiety issue.

Now, if it merits it and he concurs with this, then yes, good- go get it done, but only if he agrees to it on his own.

And in my 20ís, I got the burning sensation too. I think the most I did was an ultrasound, and my family was like what the heck are you doing, youíre fine! Donít go back for more tests! I was 28 at the time, thinking about going for an endoscopy and/or CT scan.
And they were right, it was all my anxiety and reaching for a diagnosis. Now, if you have other issues going on, then yes, find another doctorÖbut perhaps try treating the
anxiety first.

If you need to, you can order the H Pylori test online through directlabs or something. I was thinking of ordering that too, because thatís the only test my doc did NOT order.

Have you taken any news meds prior to the onset of symptoms? Were you taking many NSAIDS? Were you really stressed out? That can increase your stomach acid.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 08:54:22 PM »
Chunkymonkey - rebound acidity from quitting PPIs is very common. Most docs recommend tapering off... so if you took one pill every morning, you would start taking it every other morning and supplementing with Tums or Xantac. Then you'd stop taking it and supplement with Tums or Xantac until the acid was back to normal. You see the pattern... the key is to supplement with Tums or Xantac until the rebound acidity is gone.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: