Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I'm not sure how to calm myself down from an attack  (Read 1122 times)

Offline CantControlTheFear

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm not sure how to calm myself down from an attack
« on: March 11, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »
Lately the panic attacks have been getting worse. I usually get them really badly around times when I have my period and mostly happen at night.

As I'm falling asleep I feel like I can't breathe and sometimes I even feel like my body is floating and my heart races. My doctor said these are panic attacks but I don't know how to control them or make them stop. I often can't fall asleep until 3 or 4 until I pass out from pure exhaustion.

Since none of my friends get panic attacks like I do they just tell me to "stop" or "relax and don't think about it." but it is so hard to stop once it starts.
And every time I get one it stresses me out and the more stressed I get the harder it is to stop one. I hate feeling like my heart is racing or I can't breathe like I feel like I might just stop breathing.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with panic attacks at night? I'm also a hypochondriac but I think when I get panic attacks it make my health anxiety so much worse. I've been having troubles lately telling the difference between a panic attack and just being fearful about health- although it might be possible that it is a mix of both.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help calm down from panic attacks? I'm willing to try almost anything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunshine95xo

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm not sure how to calm myself down from an attack
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »
This is what will work for me if I can catc it beore its full blown panic. Lay down, close your eyes and inhale. As you inhale count to four slowly. 1.......2......3.......4. Hold it and count to four and then exhale counting to four the same way. As you do that picture that you are at the beach and visualize waves coming in and going back out. Another one that I do is I hold my index finger out and as I inhale I bend my finger in and stare at it and then when I exhale straighten your finger back out. You can even do this in public (without staring at your finger).
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:29:14 PM »
Panic attacks are scary. I'm with you on that. I get them too.  Treating it is a process and you can learn to manage it. Have you met with a doctor yet? I encourage you to do that. There are medications to relieve symptoms. I encourage you to learn about the condition.  The more you understand the better to learn what you can do to manage.  Anxietyzone has lots of great tips for non medicinal ways to manage as well as what medications can do so take time to sort through it. Don't hesitate to seek medical help as panic is considered a treatable medical condition.  Hang in there and wishing you the best
Bookmark and Share

Offline alicat22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
Nocturnal panic attacks are actually pretty common for people with anxiety disorder. It seems to happen when I have just fallen asleep. It also happens more when I am under more stress than usual. I also notice that my anxiety and palpitations are worse at certain times of the month :-*
Bookmark and Share

Offline beccahleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 02:57:53 PM »
Hi,

I understand where you are coming from, I'v been recently getting panic attacks alot due to stress but when they do happen I feel like I cant control them. The worst thing for me is for people crowding me or telling me to calm down. Im usually very frustrated when they happen, the only thing I have found so far to work, is counting in my head to 10, i try to focuss on anything else i can but it is so diffcult when you are having one. I like to stand outside for a while to get air and slowly count to myself. It eventually passes and then I just feel numb. Im still trying to find things to calm me down and I really hope you feel better soon. If you ever want someone to talk to :)

Becca
Bookmark and Share

Offline ava_x

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
Sometimes it helps me to recite a poem that I like out loud several times.  Or I'll lay in bed and talk to myself.  Usually it's basically me talking myself through whatever is going on.  For me, it seems to help during panic attacks to try to speak out loud it doesn't really matter what I'm saying I think just the act of making my brain redirect what it's thinking internally to actual words helps to put things in perspective sometimes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Windchime42

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »
Hello,

Everyone is different. But having panic for 23 years. I have learned a few tricks that work for me. If I get one in my sleep, I usually will PUSH myself to get out of the bed and try to shake it off before it gets out of hand. One other trick if you have one that will not quell is an ice pack. Put it on your chest. This helps reduce your heart rate and for mes, the coolness of it calms me quicker. And if we reduce our heart rate, we are less likely to go into a full blow panic attack. And even if you do, I hope these things will help you. I also always have a bottled water with me. Another thing (since you are speaking of the night panic) is  cool wash cloth over your head. I know for me around my period, everything (including the panic attacks) tend to be amplified.

It is also important to find your own "space." It makes it worse when people crowd you (from my experience). I hate it when people try to tell me "it is not real, all in your head. " Ugh! At all times, try to find ways to divert your attention from what you feel coming. No matter what you are doing, be it sleep, relaxing, wherever it hits, just get up and try tro get your mind on other things.

Rest well I pray~
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mandy324

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:22:03 PM »
What helps me is listening to calm music or classical music, I talk to myself and say "you are just fine" or "don't let this take over" and if I calm myself down I praise myself like "great job, I knew you could do it" also I take deep breaths and picture myself breathing out the anxiety.. also sometime affermations (sp) help as well I have several on my Iphone that I play and speak along with if I feel a panic attack coming on...
Good luck to you,
you are not alone  ;D :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
I promise you nothing is as chaotic as it seems. Nothing is worth your health. Nothing is worth poisoning yourself into stress, anxiety, and fear

Offline MR.ANXIOUS

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 06:33:40 PM »
Try tea to calm ur nerves. Or this supplement called formula 303 its a relaxer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LivingLife

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 02:33:05 PM »
I still get panic attacks and def have GAD, but a few months ago when I first started getting them it was 100 times worse. Anytime I would get them they could last hours and when it finally wears off, I would be in a high state of anxiety the rest of the day. It's crippling I couldn't leave my house luckily I was on winter break from school and didn't have a job so I didn't have too. My advice to you is to embrace the panic as much as you can as crazy as it sounds. Trick your mind into wanting panic attacks to come, that you enjoy them, you cant wait till your next panic attack, these sensations are awesome, eventually your going to keep getting them and each time you get them it won't be as bad or as long, eventually your panic attacks will be bearable and wont last long. I'm at the point now where I def still get panic attacks but noooo where near as bad or as long as I used too
Bookmark and Share

Offline mike_g

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
Hi, the best way for me to get a panic attack before it gets me is to do somw jumping jacks or some sort of cardio work...after talking to my cardiologist as well as my gp it seems that it works because when doing this type of exercise makes you breath like you are supposed to because your body goes auto and requires a certain amount of o2...so try this and even though you think you are going to have a heart attack as long as you know yours is good after talking to docs then you should try this it really works just about every time...it is hard to actually do it because you are already feeling like you ran a mile and your heart rate is already up but remember too panic attacks cant kill you...hope this helps let me know..MG
Bookmark and Share

Offline alwaysanxious16424

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
If I am alone I sit and deeeeep breathe and rock back and forth.  I tell myself out loud that I will get through this and will be okay.  If Someone is around I talk talk talk, it helps distract me I guess.  If its nice out(I live in PA, not always happening)  I walk briskly till the feeling goes away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alicat22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »
Nocturnal (and daytime!) panic attacks are scary. Deep breathing helps... inhale like you're smelling a flower and exhale like you're blowing out birthday candles. Then reassure yourself that it is just anxiety in your body and a very normal reaction - it is not dangerous. Slow yourself down and try to distract yourself by reading a book or listening to relaxing music for a while. Hopefully you will be back to sleep in no time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jpelchat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 06:42:41 PM »
I have found that calming myself seems to be the hardest thing to do.  For me, my panic attacks hit the second I wake up in the morning.  I feel like my chest is closing in and on fire, my heart races, my breath gets shorter and it feels like my body is shutting down.

Although I have not tried this yet, I did watch a video on youtube.  It described how to calm yourself by closing your eyes and focusing on where it hurts the most.  Describing the pain as best you can and focusing in on it.  Tell the sensation that your okay with it being there and you know it will pass.  First thing tomorrow morning I am going to try this.

let me know if this works for you :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline lau1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »
Hi, im soo sorry to hear you're feeling this way.. i suffer from panic attacks too. sometimes they're soo bad that i feel this is actually the end.. its hard to try and tell yourself that itll b ok, coz its such a scary experience and noone understands th feeling unless they have suffered on  themselves. my friend told me to try Bach Rescue Remedy. its all natural flower extracts blended into an oil which you can either put 4 drops in a glass of water and sip at intervals or drop 2-4 drops straight onto your tongue. she swears by it so i decided to try it and ive got to b honest it was fab! it just chills you out and calms you down which takes you back to a nice stress/panic free feeling. it tastes a bit like whisky and is available in most chemists or online. when i take it, i stand against a cold wall, place some drops on my tongue and breath in slowly and calmly.. after 5mins i feel a lot better.. give it a try, it myt help u like it has me :) im also seeing a therapist and she brilliant so id advise that too! stay positive and keep calm and just remember that you're not th only one, we all suffer with something.. good luck, x
Bookmark and Share

Tags: