Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of fainting  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Roseline1982

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of fainting
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:04:26 AM »
I've fainted three times in my life, all in public situations, and I believe this is one of the main causes of my panic disorder.  Anyone else experience this?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of fainting
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:48:09 AM »
With anxiety we all have that one main big fear. With you it is fainting. Others might fear IBS when out. Others vomiting. There is always one big fear for everybody. The one thing they associate with their anxiety. I have felt my legs begin to go in shops in the past. Things begin to spin in my head. Made a few fast exits. But always composed myself. All about learning how to breathe in the correct way. To calm yourself down. It is something you can get over. Something you can learn to beat. It may not seem like it right now. But with a bit of work it can be done. There are a lot of videos on youtube about how to breathe and calm ourselves down in such situations. Might be worth watching a few. Trying to learn from them. Instead of just accepting this always has to happen to you. It doesn't. It can be brought under control. Just believe in yourself. You can make it happen.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline TarheelBabe1980

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 12:10:44 AM »
Have you worked with a therapist for this?  As Cuchculan said, deep breathing and relaxation techniques are very important.  I have the same phobia, although my fainting episodes were due to blood drawings and a few bad stomach bugs as a kid (dehydration).  I have felt lightheaded enough to sit down fast when I or someone else got cut, but I did not truly faint.  I am seeing my therapist for these phobias right now, and will keep this thread updated with my progress.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bromrey

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »
Yes, I have a fear of fainting as well.  I used to faint once every few years or so (it actually runs on my mom's side of the family for some reason!).  I have done it in public as well.  What is frustrating is that I tend to faint due to either a pain response, or because something greatly disturbs me, which I guess means the fainting is more psychological than physiological, which added to my anxiety.  I haven't fainted since 2008 I think, so in a way I feel like I am due for it!  It used to cause me a lot of anxiety when in public or when driving a car because I really could not control it and it would happen suddenly.  For some reason though (and I honestly don't know why) my fear of fainting has decreased substantially over the last few years.  Maybe because it hasn't happened for a long time.  It does cross my mind occasionally (now typically just when I am driving, where I used to get panicky when in any public place, like a grocery store or even walking down the street), but it does not cause the same intense fear feelings that it used to.  Again, I have no idea why.  I can say that I have been on anxiety medication in the past (which helped me enormously) and I have been in counseling.   

I wish I could give you better advice, but I thought I could at least let you know you are not alone!
Bookmark and Share
I can't see the forest through the trees, except the trees are people...
Sloane Crosley

Offline TarheelBabe1980

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:04:46 AM »
As someone said earlier, breathing and relaxation exercises work well.  Also, writing a fictional script about a humiliating or scary situation that involves fainting...exaggerate the scenario and make it extra ridiculous.  Just recently in public, I sat down and dropped my head between my legs (suggested crash position) and no one even noticed.  This was fake btw, i did not truly feel like fainting.  Just all part of CBT and exposure therapy.  I still have some work to do but glad to say i feel much better than i did when i posted 3 months ago!
Bookmark and Share

Offline climberkid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
I have that fear.  I've only fainted once in public and it did not bother me so much at the time (I was young) but my fear developed when I started having panic attacks.  I know WHY it is scary (and it seems completely logical to me so I'm not sure how to get over the fear).  It is scary because it is something that cannot be controlled.  Not only that, but the reactions of the people surrounding you make it so much worse.  When I tell councilors about it, they always ask, "have you ever fainted from a panic attack?" and of course the answer is "no", but knowing that 1. it is possible and 2. at times i cannot tell if I'm having a panic attack or physical symptoms, make it really hard to think like that when the feelings hit.  Therapists always want to reassure you that "it won't happen", but ***** happens, it is part of life. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline panicked24_7

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 07:01:33 PM »
Fainting is my greatest fear.  I worry about it constantly...like to the point where I actually make myself lightheaded.  My fear of passing out often triggers my panic attacks.  I've read over and over again that it is extremely rare, if not completely impossible, to faint during a panic attack, but I constantly think and feel like I'm going to.  The weird thing is, I only get these panic attacks and fears while at the office.  I'm usually fine when I'm home or on the weekends.  I don't have a particularly stressful job and I enjoy the people I work with....I just have this unrelenting fear that I am going to pass out at work or have some other medical emergency that will cause me to faint. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sammystu

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 09:24:57 PM »
The feeling that I'm going to faint is a new symptom for me in the last week. I haven't fainted but walked around in fear that I would, especially on the subway. Please keep us posted if breathing exercises work for you. I've tried them what seems like a million times but can't seem to get myself to buy in. Feel better.

Sammystu
Bookmark and Share

Offline Graceski8

• Mood: Hyper
    Hyper
  • Agoraphobic
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »
I've had a fear of fainting for about 4 years now. It's awful, I can't go anywhere without thinking about fainting it really really scares me. it's at it's worse on trains and out in public.

i've tried cognitive behavioral therapy but haven't had any success with it - got an appointment to try NLP next week my friend had success with this plus it's a bit cheaper than CBT. Hoping this will work!

I've properly fainted once when I was four years old...my mum told me my thumb was going to fall off and I passed out lol! I've come close to fainting three times and all three experiences were just horrific.

Bookmark and Share

Offline DahliaDollface

• Paranoid Parrot in female form.
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 04:02:23 PM »
This one of my major phobias. I've fainted three times this year and I'm convinced it means I have a serious heart issue. Logically I know that the first two times I had just gotten up from a sitting position, went into a hot kitchen and even though I know better, was under the influence of Marijuana at the time. Those things probably culminated together to make me pass out but the third incident was totally different and that's what scares me. I wasn't hot or intoxicated and even though I was panicking about passing out, I keep reading that no matter what, you cannot pass out from a panic attack so I'm led to believe that I probably have a heart condition that is going to kill me soon.

You're definitely not alone with that fear. I'm practically agoraphobic now because I'm convinced that I'll pass out in public and no one will know something is wrong with my heart and I'll die in a public place away from my wife and daughter,or worse, in front of my daughter. It's gotten to the point where I ALWAYS feel like I'm going to pass out and I don't know anymore if I'm having real physical symptoms or if I'm just anxious.

Bookmark and Share
"Now head towards the light, the dark has no place here."

Offline gerti_rouge

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 10:03:43 AM »
I can't describe how RELIEVED I was to read all your responses! I have had an irrational (because it is!) fear of fainting since November, had a horrible hospital experience in August where my partner fainted, and it looked like he dropped down dead! (I was the one in hospital, he fainted at the sight of me having blood work) and I was just describing the incident back in November and came over REALLY funny, how I imagined it felt like to just pass out. Ever since I have felt like this every day. I would like to point out I haven't ever fainted in my life, and all my panic attack symptoms are like those of fainting, time slows, light headed, jelly legs etc.. getting to the point where I can't leave the house. I'm SO relieved to see I'm not alone! Has anyone got any tips to help?? Breathing doesn't relax me as it slows me down and makes it worse, I was on beta blockers and they actually lower your blood pressure and made me feel worse. Feel really at the end of my tether now! :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: