Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Weight loss Journey... Biggest Loser: Anxiety Zone Edition  (Read 7716 times)

Offline Snowy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weight loss Journey... Biggest Loser: Anxiety Zone Edition
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2014, 11:13:05 AM »
Talon ;; It's lovely that you live near something so scenic!  I get discouraged from walking down the road even, because it's curvy and people come flying through.  I'd rather not go by myself.  A martial arts class sounds like a good idea. (:

Myocdragon ;; You're pretty close to reaching your goal, congrats!  Hitting a plateau can really discourage people, I'm glad you got over that.  I seem to sit between the same five pounds myself.  I'm determined to get out of the rut this year!
Bookmark and Share

Online Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2014, 12:43:37 AM »
Thanks, snowy!
Ugh those plateaus are killers. Are you exercising? Have you tried a trainer? I only see mine once in a while because he's so expensive. But man what a difference. It's a great workout and definitely helps break a plateau.
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2014, 01:56:01 PM »
I haven't tried a trainer, no.  I much prefer doing my workouts in private.  I have exercised this week, yes, but I'm not on a regular schedule yet.  I'm working back up to that.  A backache has been nagging at me lately, throwing me off!   I do yoga at least, on the days I can't exercise.  (:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2014, 07:06:58 PM »
Hello there!  :action-smiley-065: I'm trying to lose weight as well as you people, execept I'm younger. I am 5'4 and about 172 pounds, I'm a teen and I'm not doing this to be a "skinny fat" sort of person I just want to not get weight related issues and eating related issues like diabetes and obesity that runs in my family. I started my diet in January for my anxiety to try to get the sugars and processed stuff out of my daily life and to get in the ingrediants that are fresh (like an egg from friend's chickens) or like a carrot and quineoa, so literally stuff that I can see and feel good about. I live two and a half miles from my school and when it was a good day (not too hot, not too cold) I would walk from school to my house. Anyways I did that once a week nutil my legs started to hurt, it's still the same distance and pace but my legs still were hurting, so I quit that and uptown is half a mile and instead of my parent driving me uptown to get me food or drop me off for family shopping I would walk there, unless it was pouring. Anyways I think the leg pain was not enough bananas  :banana: and also not enough hydration, but it still happens and the warm weather I can't stand walking in for it seems as if I sweat a gallon. I, as I've said have been only eating foods in which I can see the ingrediants of. In all this dieting I have one issue, sweets, How do you not eat those things like Oreos? or Ice cream? I really have a strong sweet tooth and need advice, it also seems as if the artificial stuff I can't stay away from...  :traurig001: Is there any way to make these things bite the bullet? I really would like any opinion so that i can mave forwards and any suggestions about exercise or dieting I should try would be welcomed, If you don't mind I would like to hear what you people ate and how you pushed forward, please PM me! - Thanks, a Hypochondriac Smalm
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2014, 07:41:31 PM »
Hello there!  :action-smiley-065: I'm trying to lose weight as well as you people, execept I'm younger. I am 5'4 and about 172 pounds, I'm a teen and I'm not doing this to be a "skinny fat" sort of person I just want to not get weight related issues and eating related issues like diabetes and obesity that runs in my family. I started my diet in January for my anxiety to try to get the sugars and processed stuff out of my daily life and to get in the ingrediants that are fresh (like an egg from friend's chickens) or like a carrot and quineoa, so literally stuff that I can see and feel good about. I live two and a half miles from my school and when it was a good day (not too hot, not too cold) I would walk from school to my house. Anyways I did that once a week nutil my legs started to hurt, it's still the same distance and pace but my legs still were hurting, so I quit that and uptown is half a mile and instead of my parent driving me uptown to get me food or drop me off for family shopping I would walk there, unless it was pouring. Anyways I think the leg pain was not enough bananas  :banana: and also not enough hydration, but it still happens and the warm weather I can't stand walking in for it seems as if I sweat a gallon. I, as I've said have been only eating foods in which I can see the ingrediants of. In all this dieting I have one issue, sweets, How do you not eat those things like Oreos? or Ice cream? I really have a strong sweet tooth and need advice, it also seems as if the artificial stuff I can't stay away from...  :traurig001: Is there any way to make these things bite the bullet? I really would like any opinion so that i can mave forwards and any suggestions about exercise or dieting I should try would be welcomed, If you don't mind I would like to hear what you people ate and how you pushed forward, please PM me! - Thanks, a Hypochondriac Smalm

One way to eat less sweats is to tell yourself sugar contributes to anxiety, which is true. When I was at University, I wanted to succeed so badly I never ate sugar because I knew sugar contributed to my anxiety, and abstaining from sugar made a huge difference in my fitness.

I don't have unrelenting anxiety today like I did when I was at University but I still try to abstain from sugar as much as I can for my health, and artificial sweeteners have also been linked to anxiety, so you shouldn't replace sugar with artificial sweeteners.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »
But that's the thing I crave sugar in sync with my cycle, I just need to find a food that will help with that, like a fruit ir something? is there a way to homemake a sweet fruit treat? I really need tips on what to eat instead of these bad sugars, any healthy alternatives?
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Online Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2014, 12:03:24 AM »
Okay, I have a fruit treat that's amazingly good.

Cut up a banana or two.
Freeze the pieces for 24 hours.
Take the piece and put them in a cuisinart or whatever food processor.
Pulse about five times, then just blend.
In a minute the frozen bananas will turn into the consistency of soft serve ice cream or frozen yogurt. It's delicious.
You can add a half an ounce or an ounce of crushed almonds or peanuts if you want to add some crunch, just remember that nuts are healthy, but high fat/calorie. A little won't hurt, but just make sure you weigh them if you use them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »
Smalm ;; If you're really into ice cream, you can get sugar free in some brands, which sometimes tastes better than the kind with sugar.  If you like popsicles, they have non-sugared plain fruit ones.  Raspberry are amazing!

As for how to keep from eating it- the only thing I've found effective is to get distracted at the time of the day you're most likely to go snacking.  For me, that's in the late evening hours, when things have slowed down and there's nothing to do.  Now, I talk with my boyfriend at this time of day and something that simple keeps my mind off of thinking about snacking.

anxiousartist is right, though- reminding yourself that it worsens your anxiety can be helpful. (:
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2014, 11:49:38 AM »
Welcome, Smalm, we fix everyone here. ::) Very good suggestions from Myocd and Snowy. The sweet addiction area in the brain can be a big, big problem. I understand it completely. We almost have to go cold turkey and starve it up there. Don't bring oreos into the house and whatever else is irresistible. You may crash now and then but you pick yourself up and start again. That is my m/o.

Also, weigh in only once a week at the best time, a.m. before breakfast, assuming there was no snacking in bed, a no no. Give yourself gold stars for every day you've banished sugar and its seductions. It is the 1st of the month, a good day to start anew.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2014, 04:38:14 PM »
Thank you all I will try to eat frozen bananas or all natural ice cream, or frozen yogurt, or frozen berries, thanks you all, it really means a lot to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
I did 1500 steps on the stair stepper today! When I began working on the stair stepper, I could do only 500 steps.

I love the stair stepper! I painted my fence yesterday, so my back was killing me today, but I was still able to do 1500 steps today because there is absolutely no impact on the stair stepper. You're always walking up, never down.

I'm thinking of starting a blog about exercising with a back injury. I've had a bad back for over twenty years, and I've been working out that long. So I got what I can and cannot do down to a science-lol It might not work for everyone. Everyone's injury is different, but it still could be beneficial to someone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »
Wow, that's awesome art! Maybe I need to get myself one of those stair steppers, they sound great.

Smalm, something I found that helped me a lot of with my cravings for sweet food was icy cold watermelon. I'd buy one, cut it into segments, and just take one from the fridge whenever I wanted something sweet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2014, 11:17:24 PM »
Watermelon is really, really, healthy too.
Bookmark and Share

Online Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2014, 10:44:03 PM »
If it's any help at all, I was a complete sweets addict. Without question I could eat a whole apple pie with ice cream in one sitting. I loved sweets with all my heart. Then in  late 2012 I quit cold turkey. Or rather, I switched to fruit. The way I did it was the way you make any major change, one day at a time. I promised myself I would try it for one day. Then that went okay, so I said I would try it for another day. Then that went okay, so I did it again. The next day I decided that it had gone smoothly so,far, so,I promised I would quit the whole week. Then after that I promised two,weeks, then two more. During this whole time I would eat whatever fruit was the sweetest, usually a variety of grapes. I was still getting sugar and sweetness, but I was breaking my cookies and ice cream habit. By the time I got to six weeks I made up my mind I was done with sweets until I lost the weight I wanted to lose. 50lbs and a year and a half later I don't miss sweets at all and have decided I'm never going back. It's the same way I feel about cigarettes, I loved me when I was younger, but I recognize they're bad for me and finding the strength to quit was such hell I have no intention of subjecting myself to that again. And during this whole time, my wife ate sweets regularly, as did my kids. I never banished anything from my home, just my mouth. It honestly wasn't even that hard to do, once I made up my mind to take it a day at a time. You can so,anything for a day. If it's too hard, you can eat them the next day.

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2014, 08:10:16 AM »
True, cold turkey can work and worked for me for years. Then the body or mind or sweet tiger wake up and scream, "I'm sick of this; I demand chocolate and ice cream." And I crashed. Cheated yesterday with mint choc. chip ice cream but otherwise have been disciplined since May 1, a new month.

It's an ongoing struggle. Maybe if we accept that reality it can be a step forward. Exercise helps, finding our strategies, forgiving ourself, and never giving in is the beacon to strive for. Some people actually say to give in one day a week. We can test that. Yesterday was may day. Let's see how long I can hold out. :angel-smiley-006:
Bookmark and Share