Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?
Anxiety Forums & Chat Rooms

Weight loss Journey... Biggest Loser: Anxiety Zone Edition

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
Re: Weight loss Journey... Biggest Loser: Anxiety Zone Edition
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2014, 04:29:49 PM »
Sounds great Tinam!

Wow what a beautiful day today in the Pacific Northwest. It was so nice today I took my dog for a walk on the beach in just a t-shirt and hoodie, and my cherry trees are blooming. It's definitely Spring!

What are your fitness plans now that the weather is getting better?
Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Online tinam7

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »
Your cherry trees are blooming? We still have some snow around. But I do see small green buds on a lilac bush and on my walk saw a crocus peeking out. Walking is all I do outdoors. So thank goodness I have the stairs on the inside, weights on the fit-ball, yoga at home and in classes, equipment in the gym. Now also go to a class in Zumba. Music gets me going. No doubt your dog gets you going. We once had a dachshund. All she wanted was to stretch out in the sun or whine for a ball under the couch.

We generally get your weather. So maybe March, typically our snowiest month, will go out like a lamb. Nice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2014, 06:42:28 PM »
I went surfing yesterday, the first time in several weeks, but that's just the life of a surfer here in the Pacific Northwest this time of year.

I caught 4 waves, and I was stoked. It's so cool to be able to catch waves and be rewarded for all my hard work in the gym and the kitchen, rather than having to wait months until summer to see any results. Fortunately, I can not remember a winter that has been this good, so I've had a lot of opportunities to be rewarded!

Today, I was exhausted from surfing yesterday, but it is rainy and windy today, so I decided to go to the gym, and I actually had a really good workout! I did 500 steps on the stair stepper again, and I was so proud of myself because I had planned to just do 300 steps, but I hit 300 and I just kept going and going!

Hopefully, it will be nice tomorrow, so I can take my dog for a walk on the beach, rather than going to the gym and spending 20 dollars on gas. I could really use a light day after the last couple of days  :happy0151:.
Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Online tinam7

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2014, 08:58:29 AM »
Surfing must be a great thrill, one gigantic roller coaster ride.

It is good to give the body a rest some days. Walking is always so good. Weigh-ins are coming along nicely. A little starvation now and then helps too as long as I then don't crash and eat every last drop of chocolate hiding in the cupboard or freezer. Chocolate covered fruit bars are a menace.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2014, 03:47:04 PM »
I have the same problem Tinam. I experimented with fasting, but I would get so hungry I would end up eating everything in the kitchen, and usually it was the most unhealthy food I could eat. So I actually gained, rather than lost weight.

What seems to be working for me is working out in the morning then eating my biggest fattiest meal of the day as early as possible. Then I replace one meal a day with a 30 gram protein shake.

Last night I actually drank a protein shake with whey protein, low calorie almond milk, and a bannana and I was satisfied and when I weighed myself this morning I was only .1 pounds from one of my weightloss goals this month.

Unfortunately, I have to have a full stomache at night before I go to bed Otherwise, I can't sleep. I have been eating yoghurt, blueberries, walnuts, and honey before going to bed, but I think I'm going to switch to the whey protein, almond milk, and bannana protein shake. I think it has less calories, more protein, and it's just as filling.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »
Had a great morning of varied workout but upon return gorged on everything in sight and out of sight. Soon I'll meditate, forgive myself, and skip weigh-in tomorrow. No need.

Your weigh-in sounds good. We are not perfectionists, just want to look sharp. Now I am used to not eating in the p.m. and apparently don't miss anything. Hit the pillow and am out. But what you are suggesting sounds good, easy to digest. ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2014, 03:23:12 PM »
Wow, i feel like i'm weighing into a conversation as a wussy half-hearted lightweight into a heavyweight fitness crowd, haha! :laugh3:

I didn't respond last week on my weigh in because all my efforts resulted in 0 loss. :-* I was pretty disappointed as i'd stuck to me eating plan. For a couple of days after that i gave up and ate everything i'd been denying myself for weeks. The diet was effectively over.

Then i picked myself up, and have found myself more preoccupied recently. Thats been affecting my desire to eat. This friday i weighed myself and found i'd lost another 2 lbs! :happy0158: This is a milestone for me, because i'm now at a weight i haven't been at in over 4 years. The other day my mother told me i looked thinner around my face and neck. So, the diet is back on! ;D

Wishing you all the best in your endeavours.
Gen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2014, 10:12:33 PM »
It sounds like you have a good attitude about binging Tinam. All you can do is put it behind you and try to do better tomorrow.

Congatulations on your 2 pound weightloss GENSEC!

I've had to adjust my weightloss goal this month. This month success is weighing less than I did last month. The last several months my goal has been to lose 5 pounds a month, but I've just hit the wall this month. Hopefully, I'll lose weight now that the stair stepper is working.

My goal is to eventually do 1000 steps at 6 mph on the stair stepper. So far I've been able to do 500 steps at 6 mph. But I love the stair stepper! It's super vigorous, and there is absolutely 0 impact! It's perfect!
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2014, 08:23:21 AM »
Congrats, GS, but watch out for body's demands to reclaim what was lost. Sometimes a good weigh-in is one where there has been no move upward. Sometimes when I think of all I've been eating I'm thankful for no gain.

Stair step is great, AA, but in surfing I imagine you also need strong arms and a strong core, in addition to powerful legs. Do know my steps are key in keeping me in shape.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
It doesn't look like I'm going to meet my modest weightloss goal of weighing less this month than I weighed last month. I was 1.9 pounds heavier than my goal weight this morning, therefore I have 3 days to lose about 2 pounds. Oh well, at least I haven't gained a lot of weight this month. However, I've been working out and eating modestly, so I don't get what's going on???

You have to be in shape everywhere to actually surf, legs, arm, and core, but surfing usually consists of 99% paddling, and 1% actually riding waves. So it is mostly an arm workout. However, the less weight you have to tow around, the easier it is to paddle. So losing weight is really important if you have any excess weight, and I'm currently about 25 pounds overweight. I was 60 pounds overweight, though. Since I've lost weight, I'm actually catching waves again, so I'm so stoked. I'm hoping to lose the excess 25 pounds, so I can get barrelled again!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2014, 09:07:14 AM »
Shows how much I know thinking you just get a free ride. You need hand weights for biceps, triceps and shoulders. Maybe also stretch bands, medicine ball. One time cost, not costly.

The weight matter is so tricky. You've already lost a lot so your body may be in a plateau mode. Getting more off is harder, to be sure. The intake matters most, esp. in the pm. What can you substitute for an evening deal? Salad and fruit? Cereal? Oatmeal? Buddha's Delight (all vegis) from take-out? But most important is: No discouragement. Praise and Patience. You will reach your goal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »
This is what i don't get... i see people like anxiousartist working flat out with total commitment to try and lose weight, yet just by tinkering with my diet i'm losing mine. I'm starting to suspect something's actually wrong with me, lol! :fragend005: I admire the sort of effort you two are putting into this, as i freely admit i wouldn't have the determination to stick at it like you pair do. :winking0008:

For me, cutting out sugar seems to be doing the trick. Only when i got very serious about studying my food/sugar intake did i realise just how much sugar i was unwittingly consuming. Now i strictly limit myself to a daily allowance. I almost never eat anything at all after 6pm neither. Anything i eat during the course of the day has to be earlier than that cut off point. Am taking Tina's advice to eat like a pauper, haha.

A couple of weeks so far on my diet have yielded 0 weight loss... its disheartening, but i know if i just stay the course the weight's got to catch up by shedding a little bit sometime... the end goal is well worth it.  :happy0062:

Regards,
James.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2014, 07:52:28 PM »
You're doing a lot of positive things James. I've tried to cut out sugar, but I still put honey on my yoghurt and yoghurt with blueberries and walnuts is one of my staples. I eat it almost everyday and I wish I could not eat after 6pm. I suspect the reason I'm not losing weight is the result of eating at night. The problem is I can't get to sleep on an empty stomache and I also take trazadone and trazadone seems to stimulate my appetite. Knowing this, I try to eat super healthy things at night, rather than unhealthy food.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Personal text
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2014, 08:02:40 PM »
I've started lowering the speed on the stair stepper and instead doing more reps. The reason I'm doing this is because I've learned you can burn fat with a lower heart rate and a higher heart rate is better for cardiovascular health. While I'm interested in cariovascular health, I'm more interested in burning fat! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline GenSec

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2014, 11:45:45 AM »
You're doing a lot of positive things James. I've tried to cut out sugar, but I still put honey on my yoghurt and yoghurt with blueberries and walnuts is one of my staples. I eat it almost everyday and I wish I could not eat after 6pm. I suspect the reason I'm not losing weight is the result of eating at night. The problem is I can't get to sleep on an empty stomache and I also take trazadone and trazadone seems to stimulate my appetite. Knowing this, I try to eat super healthy things at night, rather than unhealthy food.

Sugar is a difficult thing to cut down on - more difficult than you think. Its crammed into so much of our food and drink today. You find yourself craving it without even realising it! :mad0228: Before my diet i'd drink on average 4 cans of Cola a day, as well as daily cereal i thought was good for my yet was actually stuffed with hidden sugar. Then there were a couple of bars of chocolate a day. :angel-smiley-006: Only when seriously sitting down and researching how much sugar was actually in everything (which occasionally manufacturers try to fudge on the packaging) did i realise just how much i was consuming.

Now, i strictly limit myself to 1 tin of Cola daily, no chocolate except every 2nd or 3rd day (limited to 1 bar), and i've cut out the sugary cereal entirely. :winking0008: Sometimes i crave more chocolate, so i have to remind myself that losing the weight is really worth it. Often i'd snack in the evenings ( i now eat nothing at all after 7pm at the latest).

Like you, i often go to bed on an empty stomach these days and i'm not a fan of the feeling! :sad0141:

This week has been rather rough on me, so i admit i've been snacking on chocolate just a bit too much. I don't expect any weight loss this week. Thats okay, i'm not going to beat myself up over it otherwise the tendency is to become discouraged and gorge on something otherwise. :laugh3: There's always next week. As long as i haven't gained anything i'm content.

Best,
Gen.
Bookmark and Share