Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Lipoma?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline hamsterswheel

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lipoma?
« on: March 10, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »
I am in knots again and finding it difficult to accept the doctors diagnosis.

Anyone with experience of lipomas?

Over 1 year ago I started digging around my collarbone area and came across something smaller than pea sized, shape of a pea just above my collarbone, mid way. When pressed it moves around, I wouldn't say it's soft soft, but not rock hard. It has not grown at all.

Anyway I've had it examined 5 times. 3 being gp's and one being a breast consultant. All have said it is categorically not a lymph node. All have said its a fatty cyst/lipoma.

But still I am worried they have it wrong. Last week my gp asks if I wanted to have it ultrasounded as she believes I will not let it go until I have a test. She said she is not suggesting it because she thinks there is anything, but that I keep coming back to it despite the doctors advice.

I am worried sick to go for the ultrasound. I believe something sinister will show. Whether they say node or ca or yea lipoma but see nodes too.

I can't sleep or eat and feel sick with worry.

I know I've posted about this before but I've got myself into a right state over this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline oregoncoastlady

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lipoma?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:04:22 AM »
If you won't believe the doctors the five times it has been looked it, will you believe an ultrasound? If you will be able to put it to rest with an ultrasound, then do it. Unless you want to spend an endless amount of time obsessing and not being able to move on. I don't know how old you are, but our bodies get goofy little things that are harmless. You really need to trust what your doctors say.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sassparella

• Queen of Health Anxiety
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 06:10:57 AM »
I have a small lipoma in my arm and one in my stomach both diagnosed when I was a teenager and didn't have HA and my doc just felt them and said 'ah yeah they're lipomas' Now at 48 they're exactly the same and haven't grown or done anything sinister. They feel exactly as you describe as a softish lump that moves beneath the skin. Also you've had this lump for a year without change it won't be anything sinister, you're fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hamsterswheel

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 02:47:08 PM »
I don't know what to do.

I've just had experiences in the past where med tests cause things to pop up that I hadn't expected and needs further investigation. Such as bloods, couple things being slightly off then worrying me. Or scan for gallatonea resulting in cyst being found on my liver and I had to have an mri to diagnose it.

I just feel this wee thing isn't really that soft? But it's not hard either. I guess at the end of the day the doctors know what feels soft or hard etc. but I hate the doubt I have.

For those who have lipomas how would you describe them? Anyone have them on collarbone?x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cheesus

• Rec's: 34
  • Ha-Hum
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 03:15:36 PM »
I've got something similar in the back of my neck. To be fair it could be a lymph node, I'm not sure. I had it checked out about 7 or 8 years ago and I'm still here :)

Instead of obsessing over it, this might be a good therapeutic exercise! If you can feel fear and not act upon it, just experience the fear as what it is, it will lessen over time. Its essentially exposure therapy. If you can mix that in with a good dose of cognitive behavioural techniques (if you haven't seen a CBT therapist, see one!) you will come out the other side of this irrational fear.
Bookmark and Share
You can't calm the waves, but you can learn to surf!

Basis of Recovery
Intrusive Thoughts
A Philosophy of Anxiety

Offline hamsterswheel

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »
Thanks Cheesus

I normally do the living tithe fee thing and how I cope is to say 'I will see how it is next week and then book a gp app', the when next week coes I say the same thing and so on. Until usually the issue no longer scares me.

Think I've just hit a wall just now with being 37 weeks + preg and having birth ahead of me and another little bundle to protect, who needs his mummy to be here.

Started new meds today so fx I will be back on an even keel soon and better fixed to challenge my thoughts .

I've always found being at work a great distraction too, but bring on mat leave means it's easier for me to have a meltdown.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vasallus

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 01:11:53 AM »
I am going through this same exact thing! Two lumps side by side on my spine, and I can move them around but they don't hurt. My aunt had them and said they are rarely cancerous and only need to be removed if they are causing pain. Mine so far are kinda small, but I'm going to keep and eye on them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Healthymind

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:37:04 PM »
Lipomas are 99.99% benign. Very common. Unless they grow quickly , they are nothing to worry. Even then, some lipomas can grow quickly. Lymph nodes can be palpated. Just because one can be felt does not mean it is s disease process. By all means , get it checked to relieve your mind , but then let it go. Dont let these minor issues become monsters. Listen when they tell you it is nothing to worry about. Live life and be free! Dont let you joy br stolen any more !
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 26
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »
I've had two of them... one in my breast, which felt EXACTLY like you're describing, and one on my back that's about the size of an egg cut lengthwise. They're nearly always benign and docs are good at spotting them.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: