Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: x-ray worries again;( never ending fear..  (Read 366 times)

Offline tanya boston

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
x-ray worries again;( never ending fear..
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:48:02 AM »
If its not one thing its another right?? No matter what i bounce to or how much time has passed i always come back to worrying that i am doomed to get cancer due to the amount of x-rays and cat scans i have had. Had i have known those scans were dangerous i would not have gotten any of them unless there was no other way around it..

I think what bothers me most when i think about it is the fact that i was my own worst enemy! i was the one who pushed and pushed, i was the anxious one running to the er with every illness i heard about and thought i had it. The amount of scans i have had really scares me. Am i alone in this?? Is there anyone out there that has had sooo many scans and worries about it now?

I have had many many x-rays, i have had a lot of cat scans, i even have had a cardiac cath where the put dye in your heart and take x-rays. At one point when i first started having heart arrythmias i ran to the er almost everyday and sometimes twice in a day. Each time they did a chest x-ray. I recall around this time my hair started to fall out in globs. Could it have been from all the scans? I never thought about that then but i do now A LOT..

I am so afraid that i will get cancer from all those many scans if i dont already have it not to mention cancer runs very heavy in my mothers family. My sister at the age of only 34 had to deal with it and my aunt was in her 20s when she had to deal with it and my grandmother died when she was 42 from it. All this scares me so very much. I think im going to leave my kids without a mother and i am the blame because i just couldnt accept that i was okay.

Anyone else fear this?? Anyone else have soo many scans? I dont mean a handful, i mean an obscene amount.
I need to talk, i need someone to talk to, a friend to talk to. please if there is anyone out there that can relate??
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allochka

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: x-ray worries again;( never ending fear..
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 03:13:24 AM »
Hi, I don' t know the amount of your scans to compare. But I had several X-rays and 3 CT scans (strangely for a hypochondriac, almost all were for reason and advised  by docs, except one CT scan :-)).  I am absolutely not worried. I guess you maybe had more, but it is OK anyway.
When I visited neuro due to my MS scare last year and asked for an MRI, he said that typically an MRI is not a procedure to perform "just in case". He said that such things as profilactic chest X-rays are much more common and prudent . he mentioned that he was a heavy smoker all his life, that is why he usually gets a yearly chest X-ray, just to check (maybe he was a hypo himself a bit? :-)).  He was in his sixties. I bet he had at least some 20 chest X-rays in his life. He was a doc, and he was not worried about radiation at all  :winking0008:
So shouldn't you.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Lynnmain

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »
I have the same fear. I have had one x-ray years ago and one CT scan. I worry about getting cancer from the scan everyday. It was of my head so I fear brain cancer. I feel the exact same way as you .. Scared to leave my lil one without a mom. I'm 31.  I can't get over this. And the worst part is the guilt I carry. I went to the docs bc of my health anxiety who then ordered the scan. I actually did ask for other options but she insisited in the CT scan.  I don't know how to get over this fear. To help ease your mind a little I will say that people that are sick or get injured do go through lots of scans and x-rays for diagnose and treatments and sometimes the radiation doses are higher than what normally are used.  We can't take back what we alread did but we can just be careful how much we expose ourselves to from this point on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline genny

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »
i know this is an old thread, but I've been plagued by this recently... I have been having chest and back pains and after a clean chest xray I went to a chiropractor who did a thoracic and cervical xray, which he told me are low radiation, but then I read they amount to about 20 chest xrays and now I am completely in panic over the radiation and this is on top of the radiation i was exposed living near chernobyl after the accident and asbestos from working in downtown area during sept 11.... and of course as a hypochondriac i had ct scans in the past that i cant even remember now... im a nervous wreck :( especially when I read these sites that give you scary estimates of probability of developing cancer from these tests....
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 09:23:12 PM »
I've not only had scans and x rays throughout my life, I've had chemo and radiation in my neck. Take that and all the things we breathe in in a traffic jam, all the preservatives, food coloring, steroid injected beef and chicken in fast food and things like running through mosquito killing clouds of insecticide during my childhood! ~lol~  F&^% it! it is what it is and there's NOTHING you can do about it now. It's out of your control! What is in your control is how you deal with it.

"Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we handle it." Charles Swindoll

You have control over how you allow anxiety to affect you. Treat it and control it or do nothing and allow it to control you.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Tags: