Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: weird feeling in left leg - anyone??  (Read 961 times)

Offline colls22

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: weird feeling in left leg - anyone??
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »
Very wise words.

I may have mentioned this previously, I think I did, but for any twitchers, do you find that if you're worried about a specific area, BAM, the twitches go right there??
Bookmark and Share

Offline MTBR

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »
Colls22, I just posted this earlier in the thread:
I immediately started to obsess about why my right leg wasn't twitching/jerking nearly as much as my left.....must be a sign that something is wrong! 2 days later the right leg is twitchin' and jerkin' more than the left
Bookmark and Share

Offline colls22

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 04:43:53 PM »
So, I guess that's a yes! Thanks.

I'm working really hard to listen to the doctors and get past my left shoulder ALS fear, but I have to say, every time I feel a twitch there (and they keep happening!), I semi flip out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MTBR

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »
but I have to say, every time I feel a twitch there I semi flip out

Take solace in knowing...you ain't alone!!!

MTBR
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 239
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 05:15:09 PM »
I think the difficult thing, Sixpack, is that we have to accept that with HA, our body will feel many, many strange things. And our minds will amplify those feelings. Which, to be honest, is very, very scary. At the time you're feeling these things ( ie a twitch in that exact muscle you're worried about) it's really, really hard to say "everything's fine".

maybe it is hard and of course it is scary. it doesn't mean that you indulge it.  I went through my MS to ALS fear then back to MS again... you know what got me out of ALS?  the psychiatrist literally laughed at me when I mentioned it.  Wow, do you think that was mean?  Well it did wake me up to know that I was being absolutely foolish thinking I had ALS. 

the thing with ALS is this, especially with you, is that this fear comes and goes.... and you are not learning that it is the anxiety at the core and not the disease.  Rationally you know ALS wouldn't behave how your anxiety is telling you it is.  therefore, the only logical thing to conclude it that yes you are having x, y & z but it can't possibly be ALS because ALS doesn't act that particular way.   you can't hold out or up the idea that, "yes I know it is irrational but my mind won't let me let it go, therefore i can do nothing about it"

AND not because I think you have any neuro nasty..... BUT MS would be the more likely disease to come and go.  Have you asked yourself why you are latching onto a disease that cannot possibly behave the way you are experiencing things and not MS that can and does come and go especially early on? 

maybe that is a scary question for me to ask you, but, personally, I think you need a bit of logical, straightforward questions that you should answer---at least for yourself.  As I see it, All you are doing is excusing why it is okay for you to feel this way.  you can't get better mired with this line of thinking. If you continue indulging the ALS fear, you not only hurt yourself but your loved ones too.

And don't think for ONE second that I haven't thought like you.  I have.  At some point I got truly fed up with my beating myself up, ticking my husband off, not being there for my kids, and giving my joy, MY joy away to anxiety by induging in the fantastical disease that had ZERO evidence of being real. 

I have YET to see one shread of evidence that you have ALS or any neuro nasty.  All I've seen is a person chasing herself around a tree and getting herself mighty dizzy. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 239
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 05:31:29 PM »
i am going to ask the questions I asked you earlier today....

answer them for yourself.  you don't have to answer on here.  BUT you should answer them.   Being truly honest with yourself, you should try to figure out how you could have ALS after you answer these questions.

Just a quick couple of questions.   I am not trying to be mean or snarky.  I am trying to figure out how long it will take for you to really see that what ailing you isn't ALS.

how long do you think will it take for the ALS that you believe you have to start REALLY impacting you physically?  How long do you think it will take for your family and friends to take this seriously---I mean that they, too, will know something is very wrong?  Or maybe, more importantly, doctors?  Will it take a few more days or weeks or months.....  I mean it can't be years because the majority of people, once symptomatic, life expectancy is 2-5yrs.  Correct me if I am wrong but you were pretty sure you had ALS a year or two ago right?  Then you didn't believe you did and now, in the last couple of months, your fear has been reignited? 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: