Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: OCD about losing my intelligence and wit?  (Read 340 times)

Offline darren_0330

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
OCD about losing my intelligence and wit?
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:06:35 PM »
Please read, I need some advice or else I might end up hurting myself;

So... I don't know how to start this. To say that I have disorganized thinking would be a ginormous understatement. It's like there's a constant white noise hanging above my head, obstructing any coherent and logical thought that passes through my mind. I have been diagnosed with Pure O Ocd last October 2012 and I braved the symptoms until now (with the help of Lexapro -miracle drug) I've since been off Lexapro cause my doc switched me to Olanzapine last January 20. It didn't have any effect whatsoever, be it positive or negative. I stopped it cold turkey 2 weeks ago. At first, I didn't feel any withdrawal symptoms. It amplified my SAD while I was on it (which I researched and found out that it was a paradoxical effect from the said medication) and I got through that with giving myself a pep talk and thinking logically however hard it may be. For the past 3 days, I'm riding through severe anxiety about one specific facet of my life: my wit and intelligence. It started when, out of sheer curiosity and a bit of insecurity, I googled 'Can antipsychotics make you stupid?'. The results were, needless to say, affirmative. I've read things from brain shrinkage to slowing down your cognitive process to all kinds of symptoms I worry about being developed on myself. Then another grave mistake of mine was digging up past convos of me and my buddies on ***** and being reminded of how I was (not to brag) the sassy troll, the occasional deadpan snarker. Words, sarcasm and wit came naturally to me. Now it kills me that I have to think hard to squeeze out something out of my brain. I pondered about this and theorized something: "Maybe it's just my OCD tricking me into believing I'm turning into a simpleton and I'm just too apprehensive and scared to try and see if I'm really indeed turning dumb." This has caused too much distress and I don't know what to do. Being witty and rational are the only things I pride myself in and I don't want those to diminish gradually. Every single mistake I make about spelling, every second I miss when trying to come up with a great remark makes me beat myself up and tell myself I indeed turned dumb. My confidence is low as it is. English is not my first language but I learned to be proficient at it and now I fear I'm losing my grasp on that. I intend to be a writer, before the clutter in my mind and antipsychotic I was doing fine, and now I worry that might never come true because I have lost the creativity and imagination necessary. I also worry about not having my above average cognitive functioning in my arsenal and it kills me to know that. Right now I'm frustrated with myself since I feel so slow witted. Every time I see my old posts on forums and my comebacks there that are backed with clarity and reasoning and posts of other people who hold so much sharp wit, I get stressed out and makes me want to hit my head on something that would definitely give some sort of concussion. It was also probably a mistake to read up on symptoms pertaining to memory when getting off a drug. Now I'm on high alert and whenever I forget something it the short term, anxiety comes back to haunt me. I don't want my vocabulary to suffer as well, I have a vast knowledge of words and that's my only winning point. Do you think this is caused by me stopping my med abruptly? is this still OCD or have I really damaged my brain beyond repair? I need help cause I can't go on with this. I just can't.I'm getting terribly depressed by this knowing that I might not achieve my dreams because I turned stupid .
Bookmark and Share

Offline sharon75

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: OCD about losing my intelligence and wit?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 07:00:39 AM »
There have been times when ive felt so much that im losing my intelligence that i have told the doctor im going stupid lol.  It for me is is definately because i cant think straight due to anxiety. 

I have also done what u have done and came off meds without consultation, and gone cold turkey.  Its never been a good idea and has only ever aggrivated my symptoms.  I think your post is very well written and you clearly are an intelligent person, so probably worrying due to stress, which in turn is causing you to feel more stupid. 

Bookmark and Share

Tags: