Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Worried about Rheumatology appointment  (Read 191 times)

Offline 8-bit Hero

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Worried about Rheumatology appointment
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:54:30 PM »
I have a Rheumatology appointment next week and it's starting to really worry me. I honestly barely even know what a Rheumatologist DOES, what to expect, what sort of tests will be done on me etc. My eye doctor is having me go due to constant bouts of iritis.

Looking at wikipedia, some of the diseases they check for scare me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried about Rheumatology appointment
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:08:18 AM »
Rheumatologist will examine you, look at your hands, ask what your symptoms are. Then order bloodwork. Rheumatologist deals with Rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogrens, Lupus. If you have dry eyes, let me ask you this, how is your mouth, is it really really dry all the time? Sounds like they are leaning to Sjogren's. Have you had ANA and rheumatoid factor tested? Have you ever had butterfly rash on your face? Do you get joint pain? What type, is it bilateral, is it big joints, is it little joints, and any nodules on your fingers? These are all things they will probably ask you. Good thing is that if it is Sjogrens then you can get prescription eye drops to help with the dry eye, also prescription toothpaste to help with dry mouth. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tam0630

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried about Rheumatology appointment
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:42:37 AM »
The best advice I can give you is something that gives me great comfort and has for a few years now. The anticipatory anxiety we are filled with waiting for things like this is often (usually, actually) worse than the event we are anticipating. It rarely, if ever, turns out to be as bad as we expect it to be. You will be fine. You will get through it, go home and wonder what all the fuss was about in your head.

It will be ok!

If you have a cell phone, try to find something relaxing to listen to before your appointment, in the car or in the waiting room. Anything that helps distract you from your anxiety. If you PM me on the forum, I could even send you something.

Keep your head up. It will be fine!
Bookmark and Share
The only power anyone or any thing has over us is the power we relinquish.

Tags: