Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone actually passed out/blacked out during a panic attack?  (Read 9584 times)

Offline manda266

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
I know it is rare for someone to actually pass out from a panic attack, but about a year ago I had such a bad attack, one that I could not escape from, and I did actually black out, or possibly had a seizure.  From what I know I was out for about 10-20 second, standing up, with a blank stare. My blood pressure dropped to about 80/60 and when I came to it came back up rapidly to it's usual 135/85 and then I felt fine. I had figured that if you were in true panic mode your body may compensate by causing you to actually faint or pass out to escape the panic. It does happen. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
Bookmark and Share
Amanda[img

Offline Always Dying

• Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone actually passed out/blacked out during a panic attack?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 01:22:32 AM »
No never passed out ,my blood pressure rises not falls during an attack
Bookmark and Share

Offline ladyChaCha

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »
my pressure also DROPS during an attack.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kitkat1228

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:37:19 PM »
the absolute worst experience of my life, i was told i fainted but i honestly cannot recall what happened beyond i was in a boat and started trying to jump overboard to get back to land. apparently two big guys had to keep me from jumping, and the next thing i remember is sitting on a rock and everyone telling me i am deathly pale and asking if i want a drink of water or something (no you fools i'm afraid of the water!!!).

so yes, its not likely to faint during a panic but i think its definitely an extreme possibility. kind of like, in the primal fear response if you were getting attacked by a lion or something, your body would probably make you faint in a way and go limp and stuff, kind of like playing dead so the lion loses interest in you. i dunno, its only happened to me once out of dozens of dozens of 4 years of panics... so an extreme case scenario i'd say. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sportybears

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 06:05:55 PM »
this is a great questionbecause i often worry about that myself.  I have read countless ( at least 15) books on anxiety and they all say its not possible 2 pass out from a PA, it just feels that way.  However, 10 years ago during my 1st panic attack I actually did pass out for about 30 seconds...i could feel my body dropping, and then everything got dark and the sounds felt afr away.  This happened 1 other time as well.  I have had full work-ups and nothing seems wrong, but I can say that that sure makes it harder 4 me to accept that its just panic disorder when ever book out there consoles you by saying its not possible, you just FEEL like you are going 2 faint! :sick0002:
Bookmark and Share

Offline mprinceton

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:25:12 AM »
Hi Manda,

From atleast a Medical perspective what you're describing is an episode of "Orthostatic hypotension" which happens to people a lot. Its when you go from sitting to laying down and have a sudden decrease in blood pressure like you going from 80 to 135. Having the pressure of 80 would easily set off a panic attack because you feel and sometimes can pass out with that sort of pressure. This can happen to anyone and it doesn't mean you have a serious medical probably especially since it happened once. Of course I wasn't there and things like that but I just wanted to share this thought in hopes that it might bring some understanding and alleviate some anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tigerpaw

• Rec's: 32
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:51:51 AM »
After 30 years I have never passed out no matter how bad the attack!!
Bookmark and Share
Psalm 34:4 'He saved me from all that I feared."......

Offline scook522

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »
Hey! I am new to the boards, but not new to panic and anxiety. I have suffered for nearly 15 years and never passed out. All the docs I have ever asked say that people don't normally pass out during an attack, we only feel that way.  But I definitely  agree taht it certainly feels that way during an attack.
Bookmark and Share

Offline niteriders1

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:33:56 AM »
I never passed out from a panic attack. I had alot of attacks and i only felt like i was goin to pass out but never did.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rae Rae

• Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 11:30:51 AM »
Manda, i have to say to that i have never fainted from or during a panic attack either.. and i tend to hyperventilate when im having an attack b/c i can't help but to shallow breathe since its hard to focus, & i also have had asthma for about 7 years too. One time EMTs had to put an oxygen mask on me though, about 4 months ago actually. Also, my blood pressure tends to rise, hense why i get sooo dizzy & can't stand too.
Bookmark and Share
"The secret of life isn't what happens to you, but what you do with what happens to you."

Offline furtadon

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 12:17:36 PM »
I have had 2 seizures caused by my panic....but those were over years and years of having attacks on almost a daily basis.
Bookmark and Share

Offline zfunk007

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 10:38:05 PM »
Does passing out include if you are having an attack in bed and you just fall asleep? During my first attack it felt like I passed out but I think I was just exhausted and fell asleep when my body had had enough.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PanicMom

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 03:32:45 PM »
Yes I have fainted 4 times, always during really bad attacks. Two of those times I was pregnant, and teh other two I was very dehydrated. So there were other factors involved.
Bookmark and Share

Offline me

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 07:53:05 PM »
I have had millions of panic attacks and I have only passed out once, it was only for a few seconds but I did faint.  So the books that say it isn't possible to pass out from panic are wrong, if you hyperventilate enough you will pass out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline storm_136

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 08:37:01 PM »
I haven't passed out, but while im having a panic attack i almost wish i would in a way cause i dont want to feel the terror of it anymore.  It makes sense that maybe your body is trying to help you escape the panic.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: