Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Still conscious of my damn breathing...  (Read 7111 times)

Offline joeanx55

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Still conscious of my damn breathing...
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2013, 05:50:23 AM »
I had a similar thing, not with manual breathing, but with something else equally annoying. (I won't tell you, because I don't want that to be your new nemesis.)

After a long time battling with this thing I had the thought: "What's wrong with manually breathing?" (Substituting my nemesis for yours.)

If you just ride it out with this attitude, you'll find that your attention eventually gets drawn to something else. Then your mind may say...hey, don't forget to manually breathe! So you just do it again. For me the stupid thing wore off completely after a while, because it really didn't matter any more.

You see, this is a game your mind is playing on you. It knows that this thing really disturbs you. So it keeps doing it! Your mind is feeding off that.

I have eliminated a number of similar obsessions from my life by readjusting my thoughts towards those things.

1) Reduce the seriousness of the obsession: "What's wrong with manually breathing? Am I going to die as a result? Bring it on!"
2) "Stop doing that!" Firm and decisive command.
3) "I love breathing!" Just take some manual breaths and really enjoy them. Breathing does feel good, like drinking a nice glass of water. I just took some breaths now...filled my lungs right up!
4) Go for a walk or meet up with a friend.
5) "Hahaha, you want to manually breathe, how silly! I know your game."
6) "Wow, I didn't manually breathe for an hour!"
7) "I'd make a great Zen monk, being able to focus on my breathing with such dedication!" Seriously, I've spent time in Zen temples, and this is what aspiring Zen monks aim to be able to do - focus on their breathing. For the most part they get distracted by something.

The similar obsessions now have minimal power over me. I've beaten them. But it may take time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline joeanx55

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2013, 07:17:49 AM »
Oh, another thing in this game is that you need to be prepared to believe that you can beat it. Even if it's a small gap, like imagining a day when you'll be free.

You say that nobody here could understand, when you've been doing this for ONE WHOLE YEAR! Hahaha...one of the obsessions I had lasted on and off for about TEN years before I finally overcame it. It's a classic case of thinking you're special and the only one who could possibly have such a thing. You're not special - that's more fuel for its fire. Don't brag about your problem - it's not the worst out there. This is another one of the games that gets played out. Stop owning the problem - it is its own problem.

There IS hope. If I can beat a ten-year one, you can beat a mere one-year one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline groovy

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hyper
    Hyper
  • "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 07:04:59 PM »
The Zen comment was funny! :laugh3:

AbnormallyAnxious, I'll tell you right now that my breathing obsession came back a week ago and it totally caught me off guard. But Ive dealt with it before and I know we can still get thru it. If you asked yourself to actually "bring on" the manual breathing, your mind for a moment will ease some anxiety because thats one thing it didn't expect. This is what I did the other day, I told myself to really be conscious of my breathing as long as I can... you would be surprise that it won't even take long and it would get distracted right off the bat. Of course, it will come back right away after that, but the point is you are NOT manually breathing 24/7. It may feel like its 24/7 but it isnt. BTW, breathing awareness is actually good for you..people use it for meditation and all that.

Its how you see the problem is. You obviously see this as a problem, a HUGE problem. Thats the reason why the mind keep bringing this up to you because you perceived it as it is and therefore your mind is telling you to do somethikng about it. There really is nothing to be done but go on with other things. Why don't you ask yourself for the same thing with blinking? Focus on blinking..isnt it the same thing as breathing? You can manually blink but hey, since you don't see it as a bigger problem, your mind gets rid of it quickly.

Find something positive about this. Don't dwell on just the negative. So what if its been a year? We are living in the very moment, what happened in the past don't matter, and no point at looking at the future because we are not there yet. Find yourself something to do. Do something that takes a lot of concentration or skill.

Like Joeanx55 said, we all think we had the worst anxiety of all..like we got a special case. Have you seen how many people here had the same fear as yours? We all feel the same way at some point. Start looking at some positive about this, and carry on.
Bookmark and Share
-groovy-

Offline AbnormallyAnxious

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2013, 02:10:51 AM »
Still manually breathing....  ;*)

I think I should just *****.  :sick0002:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Babygirl51342

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »
Hello I am currently going through what you did in the past or maybe even still today but I'm not sure. My question is did you finally get relief and how so? I'm constantly manually breathing and if I don't force it I don't breathe at all almost like my body lost that ability, even though I know it didn't. I went to a psychologist yesterday and was diagnosed with anxiety and that I can't fight these urges but to go along with them which is really hard. I just want to go back to a time when my breathing was sub concious and sadly for three weeks it hasn't been. I'm also seeing a psychiatrist tomorrow just to see what drugs I can take if they think it will help. I try to occupy myself as much as possible but it's still always there please get back to me if you can I know this was a while ago thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Babygirl51342

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2013, 07:58:39 AM »
I feel your pain 100% I really need this to go away it's ruining my life  how did you cope it get over it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline jp999

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2014, 11:56:34 AM »
Hi everyone,

I appreciate no ones written here for a while but I thought I'd update it as I'm going through the dreaded "conscious breathing" malarky. I've never experienced anything like this before in my life and it's truly a very disturbing thing to go through. When you try to describe it to people, I think it's very hard for them to understand what it's like unless they've been through it themselves.

I just wanted to say a BIG FAT THANK YOU to Groovy, Ocme, Linda and all the others here who have written about their experience of going through it and have provided me with such a fantastic resource of knowing what to do to get through this.

My story is that last week I had a panic attack where I felt that I couldn't breath and ever since I've been consistently monitoring my breathing. It's an annoying condition as sometimes I feel like it's gone completely (usually when I'm distracted with something) but then as soon as I feel back to myself again, I "check" to see if it really has gone and then BAM it comes back to me again.

If anyone is currently experiencing this horrible condition I'd suggest to read over this thread. Do it more than once. Do it enough times until you properly understand what you have to do. One of the most annoying things about this condition is that it makes things harder to focus on, so much so that you simply give up and resign yourself to this condition.

Most of all try to be positive. It's easy to sit and cry about how hard life is and how you'll never be the same again but this freakin makes the condition even worse so DON'T THINK ABOUT IT. Easier said than done I know but we have to at least believe everything will be better again. I think the best thing is that other people on this thread have experienced EXACTLY what we're feeling but have gone on to live healthy lives again.

Okay so I've had a bit of a ramble and not really produced anything that helpful, but I really just wanted to say a big thumbs up to Ocme and Groovy especially as you've made a somewhat very scary condition into something manageable and something with hope. Yay :)

PS. AbnormallyAnxious I hope you've got through this - if you did everyone reading this would be soooo happy haha (especially the people who like me who are thinking what if I have it for a year???? :dazed:). But if not hang in there because you'll definitely get through it!

PPS. This condition should really be made more public. It's horrible and everyone should know how amazingly brave we're all being by getting on with our lives while dealing with this. People take their non-OCD/anxious mindset far too much for granted. If they had to go through half an hour of what we've been consistently dealing with we'd be awarded medals  :happy0151: :yes: :angel-smiley-006:
Bookmark and Share

Offline nomoretears

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »
That's happened to me so many times its not funny, this is what I do and it helps, tighten every muscle in your body hard for as long as you can hold it and release, it will set your breathing even again.

Sometimes gas, or bloating, ingestion, can make it feel hard to breath too, so exercise can be vital in helping get your breathing even again. Go for a good sized walk or run to help digest properly.

And yes distraction with friends and hobbies get rid of it too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jp999

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »
Just a quick update about a month on from having last written for anyone who is reading this! My symptoms have improved massively having followed Groovy's advice. I won't go into detail as to what to do as literally Groovy has already said it!

Just wanted to say though never ever believe that you'll be "stuck" like this forever because it's simply not true. It may *seem* like you're going to stay like this forever but that's just the anxiety tricking you. Seriously - to anyone who's going through this you definitely get better eventually!  :angel-smiley-006:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: