Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Numb / Cold Toes  (Read 354 times)

Offline anonandanxious

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Numb / Cold Toes
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »
Hey Gang,

So, I've been struggling with HA for about 6 months now related to fear of HIV contraction after a one-time, low risk sexual encounter.   I have been given the "you're clean" from my doctors with definitive tests (out to 6 months when most experts consider 3 months conclusive without any doubt) -- and I've finally began to see my anxiety symptoms reduce and accordingly my body return to normal.  :spineyes:

I struggled with a numb / tingly / burning pain in my lower shins for a long time -- which last week *finally* went away (hooray!).   To my dismay, however, my right, big toe started to go numb and feel extremely cold just after the shin pain went away.   I visited a doctor who said my reflexes and sensations seem normal -- but man, does my toe feel cold / like it's falling asleep ALL the TIME!

Frankly, it's killing me -- and what's worse is I immediately hit google, find peripheral neuropathy -- and bam there I am thinking I've got HIV or some other "infectious process" -- gah!

Anyone ever have anything like this?  Will it go away!?  Please say someone else has had a numb, tingly / cold toe come and go!

I just want to get back to normal again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• No One Rules If No One Obeys
  • Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Grumpy
    Grumpy
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Numb / Cold Toes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 06:05:31 PM »
I'm surprised your doctor didn't mention the possibility of this being back related. It sounds like a pinched nerve which is causing you this sensation. The fact that you have had it for awhile, suddenly it went away and now came back differently, raises the flag to nerve issues in the back.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. You got it checked out already. If it doesn't go away, mention the possibility of a back nerve to your doctor. Let go of the nueropathy thing. Your getting way ahead of what this could be.
Bookmark and Share
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. 
But I have promises to keep, 
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep.
~Robert Frost

Offline anonandanxious

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:07:33 PM »
Thank you SO much *****.   

I think you're right in that I'm getting ahead of myself, my understanding is that peripheral neuropathy is pretty constant, and pretty damn intense -- not like the random stuff I'm dealing with.

Furthermore, I had some crazy back pain 4 months ago after a fall on my bike.   I never had a spine x-ray or anything, but I'm wondering if the shin pain (and now the toe pain) is caused by some pinched nerve that was caused by the fall.   My understanding is that it takes a long time for pinched nerves to heal anyway, and there's not much you can do other than wait.

I'll try to stop worrying and hope this pain gets out of here soon!  I want to feel good!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 26
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »
It's definitely something like a pinched nerve... the question is where. When I sit at my desk for too long, my left hand and toes go numbish (because I have a bad habit of leaning on my left side).  When I go jogging and tie my shoes too tightly, the toes on both of my feet go numb (because the shoes are compressing the nerve over the top of the feet).

As my neurologist said, "Nerves are delicate things. It's easy to compress them, and if you compress them too much, they can take a long time to grow back!"
Bookmark and Share

Offline Squeemy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »
I have had similar. My GP sent me for an MRI to rule out MS (great thing to tell someone with GAD) & I took it upon myself to go see an Osteopath who looked at me & said yep its muscular. Sure enough he massages my hips & like that the numbness went.

Muscles can press on nerves & cause reffered pain/symptoms in many places
Bookmark and Share
Worrying about the future won't change it, it will only change our joy in the present.

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »
I agree too, seems like nerve issues.  I have similar things going on, and an MRI has confirmed minor disc issues.  Physical therapy has helped a lot.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Tags: