Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fearing ALS and MS again  (Read 519 times)

Offline spoongirl

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fearing ALS and MS again
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »
Hi,
I'm new here and didn't know where else to turn. I have suffered from panic attacks/anxiety for years.
I started fixating on ALS back in 2004 after having severe muscle twitches thought my body. I had
gone to the doctor and he basically told me that if I start losing my balance etc, then I need to come back in.
I'm uninsured so I can't afford to run a lot of expensive testing.
I've had strange symptoms throughout the years feeling off balanced, strange sensation of cold water on my skin when I touched my arm.

Then I went through a period where I wasn't worrying about having ALS or MS untill recently.
After new years my jaw felt achy, I just ignored it for a few days until I couldn't resist looking up my symptom on Dr. Google. Of course ALS pops up, being a fatigued achy jaw being one of the first symptoms.
I really tried putting it out of my mind but it stuck haunting me a
aggrevating my anxiety.
A few weeks later I started getting a burning sensation like I had been working out in my forearms. Just basic movements caused this sensation. The calves in my legs had a similar feeling going on. The jaw fatigue was still happening along with these other symptoms.
I went to the doctor and he checked my reflexes which seemed ok, but he didn't like where I was having this pain/weakness and was concerned about MS.

Fast forward a few weeks later and my jaw feels very fatigued when chewing and I'm having trouble swallowing. I'm now sure there is something really wrong with me. I'm very frightened and have no health coverage but I need to see a neurologist and have some test done.

Bookmark and Share

Offline spoongirl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fearing ALS and MS again
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:20:44 AM »
Is it possible to manifest symptoms like this from anxiety? My family and friends believe its my anxiety but I really feel like something is wrong this time.
Jaw pain when chewing, difficulty swallowing food, and burning pains in forearms and calves?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »
Is it possible to manifest symptoms like this from anxiety? My family and friends believe its my anxiety but I really feel like something is wrong this time.
Jaw pain when chewing, difficulty swallowing food, and burning pains in forearms and calves?

I don't have much time to answer right now with all that anxiety and stress and fight/flight hormones and anxious over thinking can and WILL do to a body....

so what I will say is now is   YES it is possible to manifest symptoms like this from anxiety.  not only possible but likely.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:22:34 AM »
I agree with sixpack, it sounds like anxiety.  Have you read the 100 symptoms of anxiety?  It you haven't you probably should, you'll be amazed.  Many people on this site have experienced what you have mentioned - quite common.
Bookmark and Share

Offline spoongirl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:08:43 PM »
Thanx sixpack and greend. I checked out the 100 symptoms of anxiety and I've had a lot of those symptoms over the years. I guess the thing that scares me is basic daily activities is causing my arms and calves to fatigue. The swallowing and jaw fatigue, I've never had and frightens me.
I got to the point where I didn't want to get out of bed because I was scared I'd start falling down being my next symptom.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tmgmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »
If you start to obsess that your next symptom will be falling down - guess what? You will probably fall down or notice that you stumble or trip.  The mind is VERY powerful and you will manifest symptoms.  I have been down the ALS/MS road.  It is an easy and tempting road for people with HA.  My advice is to get off at the next exit!  Try to calm down.  Distract yourself.  I am sure you are fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »
If you start to obsess that your next symptom will be falling down - guess what? You will probably fall down or notice that you stumble or trip.  The mind is VERY powerful and you will manifest symptoms.  I have been down the ALS/MS road.  It is an easy and tempting road for people with HA.  My advice is to get off at the next exit!  Try to calm down.  Distract yourself.  I am sure you are fine.

agreed
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline spoongirl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 08:43:13 PM »
I started taking Xanax and it seemed to stop a lot of the symptoms surprisingly, but now my foot hurts to lift it and I'm fearing foot drop :/
Bookmark and Share