Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Terrified of Chronic Illness.. specifically IC and other chronic pelvic problems  (Read 471 times)

Offline jennmarie

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I've been diagnosed with OCD since I was 22 (I'm 25 now), but with more of a Pure-O side of the disorder. Lately, I've been through some changes that were not bad, but different, and when things in my life change, my anxiety levels skyrocket. Granted I am much happier now with the changes that have been made, I feel as though I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Because my anxiety had somewhat disappeared, it of course terrified me into thinking something was wrong because my anxiety was not there anymore. Usually I will get intrusive thoughts that I can deal with, but lately it's been health concerns. I honestly don't know what to do. I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis in August and have been managing the symptoms very well. I hardly have flare ups and have accepted that this is something I will have to manage and live with for the rest of my life (or until they find a cure). On that note, I still get terrified when I have a flare up, that the pain will never go away and I will eventually end up wanting to die or go insane. This idea terrifies me because I know I will be able to control the pain but when the pain is there, it's hard to see the sunshine at the end of the tunnel. On top of the flare ups, which are occasional, I have now been terrified of getting another chronic illness that usually accompanies IC, which is vulvodynia. This has no cure yet many women have it and live with it daily. I've been reading horror stories, and success stories for the past two days and I can not shake the feeling of having ANOTHER thing wrong with me that I have to manage daily. I worry that I will be in so much pain from some illness that I will not be able to finish college, my boyfriend will leave me, my friends and family will have to stop their lives and take care of me, I won't be able to live my life the way I want, I won't be able to have a family or children, I'll let everyone down around me and won't be able to accomplish anything I've set my mind to. I would really like some advice or kind words from someone who may be going through the same thing I am. My anxiety is really getting the best of me right now and I feel that it's ruining the time I could be happy and enjoying the amazing things in my life right now. I am seeing a psychologist (just started back this week), and I'm taking buspar and klonopin when needed (lately its been needed daily). I hate taking medicine in order to calm my nerves, but that has been the only thing helping lately. Sometimes it's nice to talk to someone who understands your worries and doesn't judge you or try to make you "just stop worrying." I need a little encouragement that things will get better and that this is just an episode but nothing I can not handle.

Thanks for reading and being there. Anxiety is not fun, but a part of who I am and I must accept this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Jenn, while I don't suffer from your particular condition, I can sympathize with you in your health anxiety suffering. I have a husband and daughter, and when I am in a particularly bad time, I have extreme guilt about not being able to take care of them they way I should because of always being in a fog. And worse, when it's really bad, I worry about what would happen if I was taken from them, or incapacitated to the point that I'd be a burden to them. I completely understand your worries. But you will get through it, just like all of us here do. Even if you do have to keep taking the meds for a bit longer if it's helping you. I also did therapy and meds in combo and at the time, it was really helping,so great that you've started back on it.
You've gotten though it before and you will again!! You have a lot of us on here pulling for you. :yes:
Take care!
Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Offline jennmarie

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
CEH- thank you. I am trying to keep a positive mind frame and know this is just a bad time right now. I just feel bad about having to even deal with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I totally relate to you. I have IC as well. I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago. I am managing mine with diet and Dessert Harvest Aloe very. I think I am about 90% better!!! Thank God, but like you I worry about developing another chronic diseases. That's a source of Health anxiety for me right now. I am going to start meds soon because this is really affecting me.

Hang in there, we need to accept that we have an anxiety problem and it's ok to be on meds. That's what I need to tell myself everyday. I will find a therapist too. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have prostatitis for about 6months. and its horrible. Dnt feel it much anymorr.but my ejaculation is weak now and it makes my anxiety flare up
Bookmark and Share

Tags: